Red nail cert video - 25th June 2016

Briso

Hi Guys, 

Here is my red nail cert video from last weekend. Bodyweight 159lbs and height is 5ft 7 inches 

Absolutely delighted! :-)  

Thanks to everyone here on gripboard who helped me over the last year! 

Thanks

Brian mc shane 

VID-20160629-WA0000.mp4

Edited by Briso
Video updated
  • Like 10

Congratulations man!  

• Like 1

Short work man!  Nicely done.  Congrats.

• Like 1

Smoke show!  Great job!

• Like 1

Congrats bro. So what's next?

• Like 2

Hi EJ, 

I have just received some bastards and hexabastards from FBBC along with a pair of leathers.

Up to now I've done all my bends with single Ironmind wraps, but just thought that i might need the leathers going forward! 

The plan is to start developing strength which is going to support my steel bending. I've made note of your previous posts regarding a strong back being beneficial to the kink and this is something i really want to implement.

Up to this point I've not used ISOs in my training and I'm going to make some ISO bars at various angles to assist in my training.

Treating the red nail as a starting point in the next phase of my bending, and fully aware that from here on in progress will be tougher and slower.

Thanks once again to the videos and posts you've personally taken time to post here.....they have helped me enormously so far.

So in a nutshell....I'm only a newbie and am about to take things up a notch or 3!

All advice and recommendations are most definitely appreciated!!!

Thanks, Brian

• Like 1

Well done! Congratulations!

• Like 1

On July 1, 2016 at 8:09 AM, Briso said:

Hi EJ, 

I have just received some bastards and hexabastards from FBBC along with a pair of leathers.

Up to now I've done all my bends with single Ironmind wraps, but just thought that i might need the leathers going forward! 

The plan is to start developing strength which is going to support my steel bending. I've made note of your previous posts regarding a strong back being beneficial to the kink and this is something i really want to implement.

Up to this point I've not used ISOs in my training and I'm going to make some ISO bars at various angles to assist in my training.

Treating the red nail as a starting point in the next phase of my bending, and fully aware that from here on in progress will be tougher and slower.

Thanks once again to the videos and posts you've personally taken time to post here.....they have helped me enormously so far.

So in a nutshell....I'm only a newbie and am about to take things up a notch or 3!

All advice and recommendations are most definitely appreciated!!!

Thanks, Brian

I think you have a good plan of attack.  Get that upper back and neck strong for the bigger steel for the kink. Strengthen the upper chest for the crush, incline dumbbell press has always helped me. 

But remember your roots bro. Stay with the smallest wraps for as long as possible. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EJ Livesey said:

I think you have a good plan of attack.  Get that upper back and neck strong for the bigger steel for the kink. Strengthen the upper chest for the crush, incline dumbbell press has always helped me. 

But remember your roots bro. Stay with the smallest wraps for as long as possible. 

Hi EJ,  at what's stage do you think I should move on from using ironmind wraps?

I understand that it's an advantage long term to stay to smaller wraps, but was curious as to how you and other top benders have made the decision of when you progress to leather wraps etc? 

Edited by Briso
Edit

2 hours ago, Briso said:

Hi EJ,  at what's stage do you think I should move on from using ironmind wraps?

I understand that it's an advantage long term to stay to smaller wraps, but was curious as to how you and other top benders have made the decision of when you progress to leather wraps etc? 

I never really stopped using them. There is steel that is just too much for those wraps. 9-10mm stuff and 5/16 g8; is just too much from my experience. I still bend edgins and steel around that weight in IMPs, it seems to be the max before I start losing too much skin and bones shifting more than I'm ok with. I have expanded my collection of wraps to some suede and the BB wraps. But I will always choose BB wraps over leather/suede. 

Since I have my sights back on the gold nail I will be using IMPs exclusively. 

Brian, it's all up to you. You did the cert of certs, so now do what feels good.  Your options are literally endless. You have a good base, I'm sure in doubles you could do some damage. Personally I would keep the IMPs in rotation so my hands would stay tough, but that's me. You could grab a pair of BB wraps and see how those feel. More forgiving than IMPs but much tougher than leather/doubles. 

• Like 1

Well done Brian!  Nice write up from IM I saw on yer FB page as well!  Listen to EJ...  The guy has helped my bending along the way tremendously & he has more experience/ insight than most!  

May I suggest you try bending the Red in shorter lengths which is what I did before I went onto harder/ heavier steel.  Try 6.5" then 6" cut down for a fairly challenging bend!   Do em' in Imps if possible but you may have to use a little thicker wraps initially.  The shorter length does change the leverage/ angles -true but it definitely develops yer sweep & crush strength as well!  

Depends on your goals but the 6" length really developed the aforementioned strength & when I went back to the 7" I still felt stronger & solid!  

Good luck brother and keep grinding!  

Robert 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robertmiller67 said:

Well done Brian!  Nice write up from IM I saw on yer FB page as well!  Listen to EJ...  The guy has helped my bending along the way tremendously & he has more experience/ insight than most!  

May I suggest you try bending the Red in shorter lengths which is what I did before I went onto harder/ heavier steel.  Try 6.5" then 6" cut down for a fairly challenging bend!   Do em' in Imps if possible but you may have to use a little thicker wraps initially.  The shorter length does change the leverage/ angles -true but it definitely develops yer sweep & crush strength as well!  

Depends on your goals but the 6" length really developed the aforementioned strength & when I went back to the 7" I still felt stronger & solid!  

Good luck brother and keep grinding!  

Robert 

Brilliant Robert, that sounds like an awesome plan of attack!

I can see how that would definitely increase strength. Going to try and stick it out with IM wraps for as long as possible!

Also I've realised recently that I'm one of the few (I think!) who bend the bar over their middle finger. My index fingers sit on the end of the wraps and don't really contribute much to the bend. Lol! 

Going to try and see how it feels to adjust my technique so that my index finger is on the steel and acts as the fulcrum.

Will probably have to go back a few steps when doing this but would be willing to do this if it can lead to bigger bends later down the road!  :-)