Under the Radar - Grip Profile - Andrew Pantke

anwnate

Today's profile features Andrew Pantke.

Andrew is the current owner of Fat Bastard Barbell Company (A GripBoard Sponsor). On December 1st, 2014, he bought the company from John Beatty.  Since then, his dual mission has been to provide Grip/Bending products at an affordable price…and also create new grip products.

I had the opportunity to meet and compete with Andrew at the 2015 Gripmas Contest.  After the comp, he unveiled his FBBC's Pro Dumbbell…a loadable thick handled dumbbell that realistically imitates the spin and feel of the INCH.  Basically…it's badass.

Since assuming ownership of FBBC, he has both created and also sponsored several events.  As the promoter of SJ3, I was lucky enough to get sponsored by FBBC and also use one of Andrew's equipment brainchild. The Contest Loading Pin, in conjunction with the Contest Cross Guard (which can top-loaded also), helped a 19 contestant contest move very quickly…without the normal lags that come with loading an apparatus.

While Andrew started with Bending (Certified Bastard), in the last few years he has slowly transitioned into Gripsport.  With a busy schedule and limited training…he has still managed a number of milestones, such as a 200+lb 2HP, the 300+ Axle, 2x45 Hub lift, Blob50 lift and heavy #3 Gripper Block Close (156lb @ 20mm).

Although I have had the pleasure of meeting with Andrew, most of our communication has been through the GripBoard, email and messaging.  It was through this correspondence with Andrew that really impressed me.  He is thoughtful, creative, and a person who is truly looking out for the average gripster. As an innovator of equipment, Andrew recently introduced a realistic loadable "Bastard Anvil" and "Final Form V-bar" which highlights different sized quick-change heads. 

This June, FFBC created a very special Grip Contest.  "Living Legends Grip Challenge" is a unique competition that was designed with the help of the top athletes in Grip Sport.  It features real cash prizes ($300 + an INCH replica for 1st place) and two classes (Legends and Open)…each with equipment designed for it's skill level.  Regardless of who comes out on top…this contest should be one for the Ages.

Let's hear a little from Andrew.

Andrew Profile Pic.jpg

7 questions to get to know Andrew.

1.      What are your stats? Gripboard Name, Age, Height (inches/meters), Weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (cm/in), Country/City (or region … whatever you are comfortable with), Relationship Status, Kids? Occupation ("international spy" is acceptable)

GB name:  "Andrew P"

Height:  5’ 8” (172cm)

Weight:  230lbs (104.3kgs)

Dom Hand: Right 7 3/8” (18.7cm)

Location:  USA/Michigan, Romulus (Detroit to the rest of the world)

Marital Status:  Married 5 years

Children: We have a 6 month old daughter

2.      Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)?

Started training in 2008 when I spotted Adam Glass bending steel on the Dragon Door forum. Before that all training revolved around lifting kettlebells. So I’ve been training grip in some form the last 8 years with the first 3 being heavy into steel bending before I got the grip sport bug.

3.      Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals?

That’s a tough one but I would have to say grip wise it’s lifting the Inch.  Also, I would like to build the King Kong Grip contests to an over 200 person strong event.

4.      How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training?

In effort to build up my overall body strength I'm currently not focused on grip as heavily as I’ve done in the past. It’s currently a blend of Durniat,s 2009 training outline and Biofeedback. I select the drill for the day based on what’s testing best and select the assistance moves the same way.

1.      First move is either a power clean or other dynamic move to warm up or I’ll select a movement that I’m having flexibility/Technical issues with (such as an Overhead barbell squat or Bent Press).

2.      Main move Deadlift, Squat, Bench following Wendlers 5-3-1. This gets paired with a grip event if a contest is coming up.

3.      15 minute EDT for assistance movements. Lately it’s been a lot of rowing and single leg squats.

4.      Once or twice a week follow a version of Power Forearms. I swapped out a lot of the equipment from the original program to use alternate gear I have, that does the same thing (uch as Climber Curl, wrist thingy’s and grip twister).

1 day per week I’ve been dropping this to train Strongman when my brother comes out to train.

Frequency ranges from 4 days a week to 1 day a week depending on work, family and how busy FBBC is.

5.      What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

The one everyone knows is I enjoy designing new grip toys and setting up the manufacturing to get them made.

I also enjoy hunting and long range shooting. My current goal with my father in law is to get out to a 1200 yard shot. So far we getting more consistent at the 1000 yard range and 600 are an easy warmup. A lot of the time the tricky part is finding a pair of open cornfields we can use.

6.      Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

Take the time/resources to travel and share a barbell with the best you can. The knowledge I’ve received over the years talking with guys better than I, trump any piece of equipment I’ve ever purchased or invented.

7.      Who's Grip profile would you like to see next?

I would like to see Dave Thornton. In a crowd of nice guys Dave is one of the nicest and a real gentleman. It’s been a privilege to pick his brain over the years.

Thanks Andrew.   This series will return in two weeks with Dave Thornton.

• Like 19

Andrew, what is your cartridge/rifle of choice?  I had dreams of going to the Gateway-Uniweep dynamite shoot; If something like that ever happens I'll likely use a 6.5-284 on a Savage action.

Great write-up. Andrew is an awesome guy and strong as hell to match.

• Like 1

Right now I'm a fan of the 30-06. I reload my own and I get a little more room to play with the powder ratio with the longer cartridge. That being said the charge I'm running now would fit in a 308.

Great writeup! Your brother trains strongman? How come you haven't drug him out to any grip contests? 

• Like 1

I did a few years back he did pretty good. He got Dad's big thick sausage hands (Lucky :angry:). Until the last year he could walk up to any thick-bar I was training on and pull it easily. I'm trying to get him to come out to King Kong this fall. 

• Like 2

Excellent write-up!  Really enjoyed it.  And I look forward to seeing Dave T.'s write-up!  Super nice guy! 

Nice write up!