The spotters at IPF worlds.

Jared Goguen

I thought this would make an interesting topic of discussion here, has anyone else seen the nightmarish spotting that took place at IPF worlds? It just gets worse as the video goes on.

Yeah I saw it. Crazy!

Sad considering they could have had better people for the job and making sure safety is number one. Why not have some type of harness in place? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

Sad considering they could have had better people for the job and making sure safety is number one. Why not have some type of harness in place? 

IPF doesn't use monolift or safety straps.

Holy sh*t, I've seen better spotting at a club meet.

I don't get why these guys would use the stance that essentially requires them to 'goblet squat' their end of the bar if it goes wrong.

That guy at the end was definitely not aware of why he was there or how important his job was, as you said not experienced.

• Like 1

It's a little funny that the IPF makes a big deal about drug testing for the purposes of safety but then they have spotters that are size of teenagers that allow people to get crushed

Wow, that was surprisingly bad! If you're spotting a 250 kg squat. Not only should you be able to lift 125 kg, you should basically be able to catch it from a free fall! 

I've seen dozens of IPF meets in my life and never have I've seen such poor spotting. 

13 hours ago, Jared Goguen said:

IPF doesn't use monolift or safety straps.

They need better spotters or something else to make safety #1. The people behind the scenes at that IPF were completely irresponsible for what they allowed.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, this is nothing new to me (started PLing back in 1981). Even at local state contests, I made sure my training partner was allowed to be the one behind me. Then, the side guys would only be guiding it back to the racks.  

Experienced lifters at or close to the same level should be spotting.

• Like 1

This is sad. A big lifter like Ray Williams getting injured because of no monolift and bad spotters would be a huge hit to the IPF especially for international lifters coming to American venues. Walking out is badass, but not worth being crippled because of incapable spotters.

• Like 2

Monolift is awesome and should be the standard IMO. Walking out 900 pounds is stupid. These spotters sucked. When I spotted for meets (3 total) I let nothing distract me, I followed the bar, and made sure my hands were so close I could catch the bar on the drop. embarrassing is what this was.

On 6/29/2016 at 1:27 PM, Wannagrip said:

Experienced lifters at or close to the same level should be spotting.

Exactly. I don't understand why all of these spotters are tiny guys who pretty obviously don't lift. You're going to end up with situations like 1:55.

I wonder how representative this is of the spotting over the course of the weekend. It's easy to cherry pick the worst out of hundreds of attempts.

I cannot fathom agreeing to spot someone squatting 900lbs.

The lifters did choose to take the attempts in each of those fails. They saw who was spotting.

I personally wouldn't take a max squat without a mechanical safety of some sort. The risk is unnecessary.