Hub Champ Challenge on Instagram

JHenze646

16 minutes ago, Jose Cabrera said:

The grip i use is the claw style tucked thumb grip,  not the one where the hub is held like a doorknob. Huge difference in the difficulty. Either way this contest must be on IG, im not on there! Best of luck fellas!

What's great about Instagram is that all you need is an email and username to join. None of those ridiculous personal questions.

Plus, there's a good amount of grip vids and pics that are only seen on Instagram.

If you decide to join... check out this link.

It has a bunch of grip Instagram accounts you can sub to and get that steady flow of awesome grip vids/pics 

Edited by silverbackgrip

1 hour ago, JHenze646 said:

No. Unfortunately no hub devices can be used.

Lifting a 45 lb plate by the hub is a classic feat of grip strength and I wanted to keep this challenge close to that. You can use any steel plate with a grip-able Hub, be that 25, 35, kilo plates, etc.

You have almost a month to beg, borrow, steal, buy, or meet up with someone who has a good hub plate. Don't count yourself out.

I expect a big lift from you, Shawn.

Well, I  can already tell you there is no one i know that has a hubable plate. Except a guy 3 hours away, I will look. I appreciate the confidence ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, silverbackgrip said:

What's great about Instagram is that all you need is an email and username to join. None of those ridiculous personal questions to sign up.

You should sign up bro!

Im really just not into it, im sure we'll have another similar event. I love hubbing but despise most social media. Again, wishing you good luck and fun fellas!

29 minutes ago, Jose Cabrera said:

Im really just not into it, im sure we'll have another similar event. I love hubbing but despise most social media. Again, wishing you good luck and fun fellas!

That is fine, Jose. 

I have always enjoyed the online challenges and I wanted to do one to maybe expose a few new people to the sport, hence Instagram.

If you would like to participate by posting videos to the gripboard, I will keep a ranking for here as well.

There will be a benefit for those competing on Instagram though.

Question are we only doing one plate? would two 35's count as 70?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Squeezus said:

You guys are in trouble if I can find a deep dish 45, lol.

We are all in trouble if Aaron C joins in!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jared Goguen said:

Question are we only doing one plate? would two 35's count as 70?

Only one hand. I don't know how you would lift two 35's by the hub with only one hand.

• Like 1

Just now, JHenze646 said:

Only one hand. I don't know how you would lift two 35's by the hub with only one hand.

I was talking about a double lift.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucasraymond said:

We are all in trouble if Aaron C joins in!!

I don't know, some pretty strong folks around here. I gave it a quick try after workout yesterday and thumb was too tender to do much after the abuse I gave it in the workout.

Still a double 45# stacked in one hand and hubbed would be epic and never have quite pulled that off to lockout.

- Aaron

• Like 1

On 6/15/2016 at 1:02 PM, acorn said:

Still a double 45# stacked in one hand and hubbed would be epic and never have quite pulled that off to lockout.

- Aaron

How is this done? Do you bolt them together?

3 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

How is this done? Do you bolt them together?

My earliest attempts at 90# were usually with a pile of small plates that almost alway's slid off. Here is an example:

I also tried magnets but had a lot of trouble with the bottom 45 sliding off. Could not find any videos uploaded with that but here is one from earlier attempts at 45+35:

This was my most recent attempt at 90# though not with actual plate hub. This one is one I made to bolt on solid and same dimensions as the Gibsons plate hub: 

If I was to make another go at it I would make something low profile to bolt the plates together for sure.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

Would someone do me the honor of judging the time on this attempt?

I got just over 7 seconds with my stopwatch.

I forgot to write the time in. Fail

6.9 sec by my timer.

I will mark it at 6 seconds. Thank you, Gentlemen.

@canthar I was surprised I got it of the floor, but you know "Act like you've been there." and such. - humor

On 6/19/2016 at 0:50 PM, JHenze646 said:

I will mark it at 6 seconds. Thank you, Gentlemen.

@canthar I was surprised I got it of the floor, but you know "Act like you've been there." and such. - humor

First place for now. :rock

I'm out of the running, the plate that I was allowed to borrow would be awesome if I was stronger at shallow hubbing. The plate seems to be a deep dish, yet the slope of the flange pushes your fingers into what I would think would be a shallow hub height.Oh well. I tried atleast.

18 hours ago, KapMan said:

I'm out of the running, the plate that I was allowed to borrow would be awesome if I was stronger at shallow hubbing. The plate seems to be a deep dish, yet the slope of the flange pushes your fingers into what I would think would be a shallow hub height.Oh well. I tried atleast.

You may want to reconsider.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

You may want to reconsider.

Normally I would but there isn't a good hub plate around here. Plus I suck at shallow hubbing. I'll work on it though.