Question to Eric Roussin

Schweinemann

Hello Eric,

just watching some of he nbk videos on youtube from the WAL northern regionals. Is it just an illusion or do you hardly ever hit at the start? Do you load up hard before the go? Just wondering, because you always seem to catch or try to stay as solid as possible to keep the angles? Do you think your griptraining is a good carryover for you on the aw-table?

Believe me -- if I could flash people I would! I've never had a fast hit. I do like to load, because it makes me feel like I'm less likely to lose to a quick hit. However, I'm sure that loading up affects my ability to hit fast as well. I guess I also worry about hitting hard, only to find myself getting stopped and out of position. Luckily my endurance is pretty good, so if I can find a way to stop the match, I have a pretty good chance of outlasting my opponent.

I haven't noticed too much carry over from grip training to the armwrestling table, but maybe that's because I had armwrestled competitively for almost 15 years before really getting into grip. But anything that works wrist flexion and pronation can't hurt. And I think thick bar probably helps to build the finger strength required to stop someone from opening up your hand.

• Like 4

Thanks for your answer Eric, all that makes sense to me. Im not sure, but i hope you qualified for the finals with your performance. I'am really amazed, that you can do grip sport and armwrestling on such a high level. Doing both hard would trash my elbows... :(

By the way, have you ever pulled with Matt Mask on the side table or training? Following him for quiet a while and he just got better and better, even though he loos like "toothstick" on video. He got a wicked toproll and seems to have a hand of steel, real fun to watch.

Yes, I qualified for the finals with the left arm. I didn't pull with the right arm this year because I tweaked something in my elbow at a tournament in April. I didn't want to risk aggravating it.

I've pulled Matt on a few occasions at the Canadian National Championships, but not recently. When we last pulled in 2010, he beat me with the right, and I beat him with the left. It was all about who managed to get their position first. If I could get him turned inside before he could toproll me, I would win. Otherwise, he would flash me. But Matt is not the same puller as he was in 2010. While I may have improved slightly since then, he has improved dramatically. I'm pretty sure he would flash me with both arms now.

Maybe the match you were talking about was this one: Anyway, i appreciate your answers. Thanks for your time and good luck for the next competition.

Well that's the right hand match. I would have preferred if you had found the left hand match. :)  

• Like 2

Matt Looks totally different now.

1 hour ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

Matt Looks totally different now.

Holy crap does he ever! Eric's looking thicker these days too. 

Practiced with Matt and the guys for a couple of years a bit ago. Way bigger than this old vid and doesn't rely on flashing as much as people think. There's a ton of strength there too. 

On 6/8/2016 at 0:51 PM, Schweinemann said:

Do you think your griptraining is a good carryover for you on the aw-table?

I think it helps with cupping and avoid your fingers being opened up as Eric mentioned, or also when an opponent is losing and trying to slip away. I think between two guys that have equal wrist /general arm strength and technique the one who has strongest grip has better chances. The grip that may matter more is the grip with your wrist in flexed position, which is not commonly trained in grip sport. Try to close a gripper with your wrist flexed, you are much much weaker. 

Went to my first practice and got killed. Focused on sledge hammer,thick bar and wrist curls and came back and people were shocked at the difference. Some of that was learning the technique but the added grip/wrist work did transfer over. A lot of the current top guys like hurchins, Chaffee etc think gym stuff, if done right, has a huge carry over.