What is the next progression after Red nail?

Briso

Hi Guys

I've been consistently bending red nails on a weekly basis now for last few months and am currently waiting on Ironmind red nail cert.

What is the steel progression after red nail? 

Can anyone give me a few steel sizes and types that they moved onto after conquering the red?

I'm double overhand bending btw.

Thanks
Brian

21 hours ago, Briso said:

Hi Guys

I've been consistently bending red nails on a weekly basis now for last few months and am currently waiting on Ironmind red nail cert.

What is the steel progression after red nail? 

Can anyone give me a few steel sizes and types that they moved onto after conquering the red?

I'm double overhand bending btw.

Thanks
Brian

Without calibrating the bars, there's no way to know for sure ... but, I had a lot of success with 21/64 x 7" O1 drill rod bars in the past.  A lot of the bars of this diameter I saw calibrate around 440-460, which is not too far above the Red.  The crush on these bars is considerably harder though, but a great stepping stone into more difficult stuff.

• Like 1

Also you can always start cutting them down. In that case 6.5" would be next.

• Like 3

Well you have 2 routes; staying at the same length and bending more difficult stock, or as Aaron suggested simply reducing lengths by 1/2" increments.  Both ways are fun and challenging and just depend on what path you would prefer to travel next.

Take this all with a grain of salt because the old bending caveat of batches being different will always come into play here but If you want to stick around at 7" for a while then I would suggest the Hexabastard next, then the Shiny Bastard, then the Shiny Hex, and then the Duke...after that, things are a little grey for me cause I haven't finished any of this stuff off but...I would say 5/16" square and a 5/16" Grade 5 are gonna be similar (maybe EJ or Tommy will chime in here), and then the KoaB after them.

But again, any one of those pieces can be cut down to give yourself more of a challenge while working your way up the ladder.  

As far as Drill rod is concerned, I have no clue about where different sizes fall because I've only bent a handful of pieces and most of those were around the 5" mark anyway.

Good luck with your Red Nail Cert and Hope this helps,

• Like 3

If you haven't already tried it you can cut it down from 7" to 6.5" to up the difficulty a bit. Work down to 6" and then look for the other bars Mr. Pizzo mentioned.

• Like 2

Cheers guys,  appreciate the help and advice.  :-) 

Going to get some bastard bars and hexabastards from FBBC

Hey Briso,

All good suggestions so far.. have you tried adding small bars to the Red for added resistance? (Wrapped together) Aaron C. suggested this idea to me & it proved to be invaluable in my progression to heavier steel!  

Try adding a small 3/16" bar to the red or maybe added to some 1/4" stock.  Works nicely as a bridge to the next level.  Good luck bud & let us know how it goes!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robertmiller67 said:

Hey Briso,

All good suggestions so far.. have you tried adding small bars to the Red for added resistance? (Wrapped together) Aaron C. suggested this idea to me & it proved to be invaluable in my progression to heavier steel!  

Try adding a small 3/16" bar to the red or maybe added to some 1/4" stock.  Works nicely as a bridge to the next level.  Good luck bud & let us know how it goes!  

Never thought of that.

56 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Never thought of that.

In my experience it worked well and cross sectional area of all the pieces was a good indicator if all pieces were of like material. 

• Like 1

Does anybody know of a video that shows a double bar bend? This sounds intriguing. Are the bars taped together or anything?

17 minutes ago, aaronb41 said:

Does anybody know of a video that shows a double bar bend? This sounds intriguing. Are the bars taped together or anything?

Yeah I used a bit of electrical tape on either end. Let me see if I have any videos.

1 minute ago, acorn said:

Yeah I used a bit of electrical tape on either end. Let me see if I have any videos.

I don't have any uploaded unfortunately. Back then I usually only videoed cert attempts.

35 minutes ago, aaronb41 said:

Look through Ben Edwards' stuff. He's go a progression system using two pieces of stock to progress. 

Yeah Ben had a couple of really awesome bending programs. I used the Kink-Focus one for awhile when I was struggling to kink longer big bars and bolts. Worked very well.

What I mentioned about cross sectional area is relevant if you want to try the taped together training method. I used up to 3 bars taped together and yes it was more awkward. I think my best was along the lines of Edgin plus 1/4" round CRS and also did a 7.5" x 5/16 brutal hex CRS plus 7.5 x 1/4" square CRS

For example here are some cross sectional areas of various sizes and shapes

1/8" round - 0.0122 sq-in

1/8" square - 0.0156 sq-in

3/16 round - 0.0276 sq-in

3/16 square - 0.0351 sq-in

1/4 round - 0.0491 sq-in

1/4 square - 0.0625 sq-in

5/16 round - 0.0767 sq-in

11/32 round - 0.0928 sq-in

5/16 square - 0.0976 sq-in

3/8 round - 0.1104 sq-in

By adding some of these together you may be able to hit some smaller steps between. It worked well for me when I could not find rated steel individual bars in an ideal range for progression.

- Aaron

• Like 3

18 hours ago, aaronb41 said:

Yes, I did this too. So here are some examples:

• Like 2

There have already been some top notch suggestions for progressing from the Red nail. The key is to experiment, that's part of the fun with steel bending.

What I found for me personally was moving on to 0-1 DR. Keep in mind that steel varies and one batch may be completely different from the next. That’s generally why I bought steel in the same size from multiple suppliers, hoping to get a variety in poundage at the same diameter.

Here was my basic progression...

Red   5/16” = 0.3125 (decimal conversion)

0-1 DR O = 0.3160

0-1 DR P = 0.3230

0-1 DR 21/64” = 0.3281

0-1 DR Q = 0.3281

You also have the option of adding in 5/16” Stainless Steel and 3/8” Brass. The 3/8" brass is easy to kink but the crush ramps up nicely. It's expensive but fun. The stainless steel at 5/16" is generally always going to be tougher than any Red nail throughout the bend.

And as others have said if you want to move away from the 7" length then start cutting steel down to 6.5" then 6" in length. Generally for me cutting off a 1/4" - 1" of length from 7" made the kink easier, but the crush harder. The kink became easier as it was more comfortable in the starting position and the crush becomes increasingly harder the shorter you go. Overall I moved to Drill rod once I carted the Red nail. It gave me better incremental increases, and like I said one batch of 'O' drill rod for example might be easier than a Red and another batch might be harder. So find different suppliers and experiment.

Good luck with your cert! 

Edited by Sean Cashman
  • Like 2

Thanks for the video Camz!

And thank you too Sean. I have recently experienced that drill rod varies a ton- but I didn't  know that cutting the bar down a tad would make the kink easier. I am planning on experimenting with slightly shorter bars to help dial in my kink. 

Aaron

• Like 1

I really agree with @Sean Cashman he's got the right idea. O-1 really helped me progress fast. SS and bolts also helped. I'm not a huge fan of taping steel together. Just seems like way more trouble than it's worth. They bend at different rates, then there is no real equation to know exactly how strong you are getting and what's the next step. Plus the wraps are all lop-sided. I'd practice with SS 5/16 stuff after the red. Or hex crs. 

• Like 1