2016 - 2017 North American Season

Jedd Johnson

Someone mentioned Regional Championships in the 2016 Nationals post, and I'd like to focus on that for a minute.

I'd like to suggest we run a Regional Championship, during 2017, as a multi-venue competition throughout North America.

Who would be interested in holding a Regional meet in 2017?  If you are interested, please post.

Also, when do we think would be a good time of year for this?  April?

I identified "Regions" at one point in the past, but who knows where that info is at this point.  But these are some of the ones I'm thinking of.

New England - Self explanatory

East Coast North - PA/NY/NJ area

Mid Atlantic - Carolinas area

South East - FL/GA area

Mid-South - TN/LA area

North Central - MN area

Great Lakes - MI area

Mid-East - OH/WV area

South - TX area

South-West - AZ/NM area

West Coast South - CA area

West Coast North - OR/WA area

Mid-West - MO area

That's just off the top of the head.

Before debating events, rules, weight classes, etc, do we have people in these areas who could commit to running a comp in their region, next year?

And again, what time of the year do you think would be best?

This would be assuming a NAGS Championship in June 2017.

I think we could potentially line up 10 to 20 competitions all on one day and crown some regional champions with this!

• Like 3

I would be game to hold the Great Lakes region. Maybe March that would give a full 2 months to train for June and the weather isn't always too bad for travel. 

• Like 3

I could host a West Coast North - OR/WA area. Also recreantly I found about 7 guys that want to start training grip with from r/GripTraining that are armwrestlers and climbers in my local area. I'm trying to build more local (Oregon & Washington) interest in the sport and it seems to be working.

• Like 4

Wisconsin isn't on the list but if no one from MN comes forward you could count me in.  I'm right on the border location wise.

• Like 3

March would be cool for me as well.  

Are you hosting the East Coast North?  

I'd step up, but I have SJ4 in July and not sure Maureen would go for hosting 2 events in a year.  Maybe Chez is a second option?

BTW...I'll assume we are including Maryland in East Coast North...(aka Tom, EJ etc).

That would make it

January...Southern Squeeze,

March...Regionals,

June...Nationals,

July 15...SJ4 (starring Geralt),

September...NCGC,

December...Gripmas.

...not including WSH, KK, Legends, Double Barrel.  Damn.

Would it be safe to say that the Great Lakes Regionals could potentially take place of Juggernaut and South West would take the place of Cactus Shootout?

9 minutes ago, anwnate said:

I'd step up, but I have SJ4 in July and not sure Maureen would go for hosting 2 events in a year.  Maybe Chez is a second option?

BTW...I'll assume we are including Maryland in East Coast North...(aka Tom, EJ etc).

That would make it

March...Regionals,

June...Nationals,

September...NCGC,

December...Gripmas.

Would it be safe to say that the Great Lakes Regionals could potentially take place of Juggernaut and South West would take the place of Cactus Shootout?

Next year is looking as stacked as this year, I may not be able to fit in my contest that I was planning. Oh well. Plenty to do!

I could do Southwest Region if we get this up and running. And if no one in Southern California steps forward, anyone from there could join us as well.

- Aaron

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, anwnate said:

That would make it

March...Regionals,

June...Nationals,

September...NCGC,

December...Gripmas.

Not to de-rail but I have no plans on running Legends again. This is a 1 time deal. 

• Like 1

I already run Canadian Nationals at the end of February. If I'm the only Canadian promoter who's able to put on an event, this could be the de facto Canadian Regional Championship.

• Like 2

I might be able to help out for MO.

I love this idea. Not sure I have a big enough place to host but I hope to get some weights cal'd this year and would be happy to help out with equipment or anything I could for a local spot

I don't have the equipment and being on the coast nobody is really close to me anyways. I would help out as I could in other ways. 

There is a fairly large number of guys in the NC region

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I have a venue, but I lack the gear. 

You never know what you might have in the coming year.

I think if we are serious about this then now is the time to start acting, and fostering more local/regional interest the sport. Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube are all great places to find new people in your area and expose them to the world of grip. Also don't forget about area strongman, crossfit, and climbing gyms.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

I think if we are serious about this then now is the time to start acting, and fostering more local/regional interest the sport. Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube are all great places to find new people in your area and expose them to the world of grip. Also don't forget about area strongman, crossfit, and climbing gyms.

True, I'm trying to set up booths and stuff at local contests. So far no bites yet.

I have been to one comp in my life, and only as a spectator.

I lack the experience to run one, but realize the need for something in the Southeast.

I would be more than enthused to to help anyone with experience run or cohost one.

• Like 1

Just to clarify. Having regional's would replace the current system of qualifying to go to nationals? So the top winners of an areas regional comp could then go on to nationals?

2 hours ago, Jared Goguen said:

Just to clarify. Having regional's would replace the current system of qualifying to go to nationals? So the top winners of an areas regional comp could then go on to nationals?

The way I read it - this would be in addition to the existing qualifiers - could be wrong though.

39 minutes ago, climber511 said:

The way I read it - this would be in addition to the existing qualifiers - could be wrong though.

If that's the case what would be the point of a regional contest, other then to just make it easier for people to attend?

3 hours ago, Jared Goguen said:

No, sir, that is not what I was thinking.  Just another way to qualify, and a way to attract people and create legitimacy.

42 minutes ago, KapMan said:

If that's the case what would be the point of a regional contest, other then to just make it easier for people to attend?

What happens if not enough competitors show up at a particular Regional for each class to qualify - very possible - especially in lighter classes that usually aren't well attended? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, climber511 said:

What happens if not enough competitors show up at a particular Regional for each class to qualify - very possible - especially in lighter classes that usually aren't well attended? 

Good Question.  I got nothing...