IronMind RT pull-ups Record

Tom Scibelli

Very interesting new list.  Wish I had another new version RT.

I saw that they allow quite an off-center grip, despite the rules saying that "approximately center" is required.  Consistent though.

That is a long range of motion to pull, since they require pulling the chin above the Pull-up bar, and not just above the RT's.

• Like 1

Very cool. I wouldn't mind taking a shot at the two arm reps category.

• Like 1

This is really cool and I think it's things like this that are good ideas if you want grip sport to grow. Since pull-ups is something that everyone does and can relate to.

• Like 1

Cool!

I think we will see 400 lbs within the year. I'll give it a shot in a few weeks, but I doubt I can do more than 300 lbs. 

• Like 1

Mechanically, on a one arm pull, is it even possible to get "... chin ... over the pull-up bar ...  "?  

Two arms, sure.  But with one arm, the extra couple inches seems like it would not be possible.  Chin above RT seems like a much more reasonable standard.

It is possible to get your chin over the bar yes.

Tom thanks for posting, just saw this! I'm going for the one arm pullup! I can do it easily now on my RT but it's an older model and I've done it with added wt (5 or 10lb I don't remember). I'm guessing I can do one on the newer model.

• Like 1

this is one of the best climbers in the world right now and he has both one arm pullup power and grip strength. He made his own rolling thunder. It looks like it spins more but it can hold chalk a bit better, overall it must be a bit harder than IMs RT, it looks like he doesn't have full control on the way down yet but give him some time and he'll be doing reps on this!

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

Hey Tommy! my understanding from reading it is that the weighted pullup challenge takes into account overall wt (your wt + added wt). The reps challenge is just reps one arm or two. I also think the chin above bar means chin above RT. I sent an email today if I can try the challenge at the SJ fit expo this Saturday.

10 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

To be honest, since you can already do a 1 hand rt pullup, you could actually be first to set all 4 records saturday! That would be killer!

^^^ @Evan Raftopoulos this would be truly awesome if you did!

• Like 1

The games have begun!  Here's my buddy Thomas with a 50kg weighted RT pullup. His bodyweight is about 104kg. Any better? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Wow, very good!

thats roughly 170lbs each hand. Pretty strong! Looks like he is good for more weight.

Yes, he's done 70kg added before, without RT. Thomas pulled 100kg/220lbs on the RT in the european grip championship just over a week ago, so his grip is not the limiting factor so far. 

12 hours ago, Biffmaister said:

The games have begun!  Here's my buddy Thomas with a 50kg weighted RT pullup. His bodyweight is about 104kg. Any better? 

WOW! Just wow!!!

• Like 1

Tommy and Sam thanks guys! Randall couldn't make it on Saturday and on Sunday I only had a few minutes because of another comp I had to attend right after. Randall was very nice to me and he gave me a new rolling thunder to try the one arm pullup (chin-up actually). So I gave it a try and had a friend record me, there were a few witnesses behind the camera too. Randall was busy with the silver bullet event and couldn't be there. This is my first attempt below , I did two more with both hands and I will upload on youtube. Not sure if my attempts are good enough or if they count towards the world record list (I sent the vid to Randall). If not we might arrange to meet another time in SF to also try both hands and weighted pullups.

• Like 2

On 17.5.2016 at 1:10 AM, Biffmaister said:

Nice! I did 142,5kg in practise..Bodyweight 112,5 kg+ 30kg.  My goal is now 155kg :)

• Like 1

Update: wasn't clear enough in the attempts that I started from full deadhang and will try again soon!

6 hours ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

Update: wasn't clear enough in the attempts that I started from full deadhang and will try again soon!

I can see why he said that. With the angle your arm looks like it does have an existing bend in it. Clearly a cleaner filming is all that is needed though. The OAP itself was not an issue.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 3:04 AM, Evan Raftopoulos said:

Hey Tommy! my understanding from reading it is that the weighted pullup challenge takes into account overall wt (your wt + added wt). The reps challenge is just reps one arm or two. I also think the chin above bar means chin above RT. I sent an email today if I can try the challenge at the SJ fit expo this Saturday.

So if you (Evan) do 5 reps with +50lbs, but a 220# guy does 5 reps with only +5lbs, how would those two efforts be ranked?  What if you managed a 6th rep?   

22 minutes ago, Cannon said:

So if you (Evan) do 5 reps with +50lbs, but a 220# guy does 5 reps with only +5lbs, how would those two efforts be ranked?  What if you managed a 6th rep?   

As I understand it I would say it's the total weight that counts. And I would presume the max. weight category means you always only do one rep with as much weight as you can manage. So probably bigger guys will have the advantage in this category.

For the reps challenge i would say the weight isn't a factor(just reps) so lighter guys will triumph in that category.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

That is surprising.. Looked solid to me!

in fact, on a side note, it looked easy enough for you that another rep will happen soon, if not already. That would be nuts!

Thank you Tommy, I think I was intimitated by the new RT and didn't want to spent anytime in the deadhang position.  To me it felt full deadhang as I was doing it but looking at the vid it's not "bullet proof" as Randall put it, and I agree. There was also no referee there to point out the potential issue and I did the same in the other attempts. I prefer to do it again so there is no question about the range of motion. 

I talk to kimmo kokko who invent this new event,and his original idea was that chin must touch the bar...I am not sure that is there anything about it in ironmind rules

Here is video from first practise..:

Edited by Hartsavain
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...