Baseline Hand Dynamometer Review

Squeezus

So, I just got one of these things in the mail and decided to do a review of it. Check it out:

• Like 8

It's definitely a quick event to run in a contest. At the Canadian Nationals, we used the second narrowest setting. Some people actually wanted to go wider. I didn't really care which setting we used, as long as everyone used the same one.

256 is quite a crush!

• Like 1

great stuff. is it ok to rain on your parade?  no offence intended. 256  is magic. . but, the man or lady is supposed to be sitting down , forearm parallel to the floor . more evidence that a certain man did NOT close the #4. sorry, to any one i may or might offend. 

8 hours ago, dave murray said:

great stuff. is it ok to rain on your parade?  no offence intended. 256  is magic. . but, the man or lady is supposed to be sitting down , forearm parallel to the floor . more evidence that a certain man did NOT close the #4. sorry, to any one i may or might offend. 

Dude, why derail a good thread and an even better review?  Don't hijack. 

• Like 2

Not a clinical test here. Looks good to me, great review. Thanks

• Like 1

Not bad - not bad at all :).  I remember Richard Sorin had several dynos at the Arnold one year - having anyone willing take a squeeze or two - it would be neat to see all those results some time and see where that number stands.  I imagine way up there.

• Like 1

Very good. Excellent! How do you do with second setting? I got around 231 pound on it. I know I can go more with the narrowest but for some reasons it hurts my wrist. Whats your best gripper close? RT? Pinch? If there a way to squeeze hard on the narrowest and aviod wrist pain?

Anyone interested when i got second setting 231 I couldn't even close my easy #3. I was very near maybe 1/8 but no cigar. But I do it almost no set and I don't really train grippers. Just thick bar and pinch and really when I just get time. But now I can close the easy 3 again.

I like thebidea of using this in a comp. But better electronic dyno or spring dyno as they can't be jerked.

11 hours ago, dave murray said:

What???!

to all or anyone concerned. i a am not  hijacking a thread or subject. only a simple observation. mr spock, = facts are facts. sorry if i offended any one. 

It's just intended to be a fun "tool" to use. He was not trying to provide a clinical observation with use in that setting. No need to be so serious is all.

Strong squeeze!

They are too pricey for me, would never buy a dynamo with that pricetag.

• Like 1

apolpgoies to all. i was not picking bones.

3 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

Very good. Excellent! How do you do with second setting? I got around 231 pound on it. I know I can go more with the narrowest but for some reasons it hurts my wrist. Whats your best gripper close? RT? Pinch? If there a way to squeeze hard on the narrowest and aviod wrist pain?

Anyone interested when i got second setting 231 I couldn't even close my easy #3. I was very near maybe 1/8 but no cigar. But I do it almost no set and I don't really train grippers. Just thick bar and pinch and really when I just get time. But now I can close the easy 3 again.

I like thebidea of using this in a comp. But better electronic dyno or spring dyno as they can't be jerked.

What???!

Thanks! On the second setting I was getting into the 230's I believe. I left it over at @MCrushetta's house, so I'll have to try it again when I get it back. My best gripper close is probably the 20mm blockset RGC 173 at the AZCGS 2016 competition. I don't really mess with the Rolling Thunder because I think it is a really inconsistent implement, but a year or so ago, I could pull 215ish on it. My best 1-hand pinch was on a 3" block and I pulled 96lbs on it. I have pulled 89.9lbs 1-hand on The Flask.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dave murray said:

apolpgoies to all. i was not picking bones.

I was thinking about the method too. I know what you're describing is how they're intended to be used in a clinical setting. I don't think you're allowed to "slam" into them either and that it needs to be a controlled crush so there isn't a spike. 

to Shoggoth, yes, i was not being picky, but rules are rules. 256 is a massive crush. anyway you look at it. all due respect to the man. if we all did things "perfectly" , no fun in that. 

Interesting review @Squeezus. Do you think there is a correlation between this ROM and choked gripperwork? I can imagine the DM has much slippier handles? Would a knurled handle on the DM make difference? 

2 hours ago, Geralt said:

Interesting review @Squeezus. Do you think there is a correlation between this ROM and choked gripperwork? I can imagine the DM has much slippier handles? Would a knurled handle on the DM make difference? 

Thanks! I would say there is definitely a correlation between the narrower settings on the dyno and choked grippers. The handles on the dyno were pretty slippery out of the box and my hands were sweaty, so I chalked them up and it helped some, but I imagine wrapping athletic tape around it like @freeondie would be much better.

• Like 1

What kind of difference did you get with chalk? Never tried it (on the dyno I mean)

Edited by wobbler

3 hours ago, wobbler said:

What kind of difference did you get with chalk? Never tried it (on the dyno I mean)

15-25lbs. My hands were sweaty, so I was slipping a good bit.

Cool, good to know. I've been tracking for about a year, started at 127 and am at 156 now, so chalk might get me 5 lbs or so. Trying to keep things the same for reference, more interested in progress than max numbers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

does one have to close a dyno from a credit card? or say a 25 mm gap.?

There is no movement, it's an isometric measurement.

22 hours ago, dave murray said:

does one have to close a dyno from a credit card? or say a 25 mm gap.?

New troll?

You saw the video and know this thing doesn't close.

55 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

New troll?

You saw the video and know this thing doesn't close.

no, not a troll, i merely asked a simple question. 

9 minutes ago, dave murray said:

no, not a troll, i merely asked a simple question. 

What question? Is this a joke? You saw the video and know the baseline is hydraulic and can't move and then asking should we CCS or MMS it? Maybe I am wrong but you seem to ask very weird questions on this thread. How old are you?

I think Dave may have been asking just the width used to test (if it was the equivalent of the 20mm block or credit card). I might be off though. Text sometimes doesn't translate the intent well.