Odd Size Stainless

KRC

Anyone know of anywhere to get some stainless somewhere between 9/32 and 5/16?  I'm striking out big time online.  Looking for training bars, ideally at 19/64" or 7.5mm, but anything in between 9/23" and 5/16" would do.  Need to stick with the SS on sweep and crush for a while.  

Not that I know of in round Stainless. But 1/4" Stainless Square should fall right in that zone.

Thanks Andrew.  The stainless square I have is a good deal easier than the 9/32" SS, at least at the end of the sweep and through the crush.  Maybe I'll stick with the 9/32 and keep reducing pad size.  

Yea man I'm right where you are too - I can consistently bend 9/32 ss and have been training doing 3 in a row - but over and over I'm failing to kink a bastard or red nail - I also haven't heard of any transition steel to bridge that gap - good luck continuing to train and I'd be interested to know if you do come across something.

What's wrong with the drill rod? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Yea man I'm right where you are too - I can consistently bend 9/32 ss and have been training doing 3 in a row - but over and over I'm failing to kink a bastard or red nail - I also haven't heard of any transition steel to bridge that gap - good luck continuing to train and I'd be interested to know if you do come across something.

Are you having issues at the kink, sweep, or crush-down?

56 minutes ago, EJ Livesey said:

What's wrong with the drill rod? 

I'm sweeping and crushing down N and 5/16" DR pretty easily, and I got owned on the sweep by a Shiny the other day.  So for the partials (i.e. 4" to 3") I want stainless to accustom to the feel.  9/32" SS isn't too difficult anymore, and 5/16" SS is too hard.  

I guess I could just use golden bastards if I can't get this kind of stainless.  

Sounds like it is your kink that is weak relative to the rest of the bend. I would guess 7" stock being a good part of that issue. SS and even drill rod are going to be softer on the initial kink than regular old CRS for the same size bar (generally). What you need to work is that initial getting it moving phase I would guess, not having seen any vid of you bending I would not know for sure whether there were any tweaks to technique that could be done to help. 

One thing that really helped me when I was struggling with this was going to 1/2" longer than my target bar and dropping down. Then hitting some mild volume of say 5x bends per workout on that extra long bar and incrementing up in toughness of bar each workout for progressions. For me it didn't take too long to bring up that weakness and finally be able to kink bigger stuff that was giving me trouble before that. If you ask nice I bet FBBC will cut the bars extra long for you. I used to do that when John owned FBBC sometimes for this method to get 7.5" stock or cut my own stock at that length.

- Aaron

You can kink a piece of the 7'' 9/32 drill rod, and then cut a quarter of an inch - half inch off each side once it's already been kinked.

15 minutes ago, acorn said:

Sounds like it is your kink that is weak relative to the rest of the bend. I would guess 7" stock being a good part of that issue. SS and even drill rod are going to be softer on the initial kink than regular old CRS for the same size bar (generally). What you need to work is that initial getting it moving phase I would guess, not having seen any vid of you bending I would not know for sure whether there were any tweaks to technique that could be done to help. 

One thing that really helped me when I was struggling with this was going to 1/2" longer than my target bar and dropping down. Then hitting some mild volume of say 5x bends per workout on that extra long bar and incrementing up in toughness of bar each workout for progressions. For me it didn't take too long to bring up that weakness and finally be able to kink bigger stuff that was giving me trouble before that. If you ask nice I bet FBBC will cut the bars extra long for you. I used to do that when John owned FBBC sometimes for this method to get 7.5" stock or cut my own stock at that length.

- Aaron

Edit: nevermind I didn't read the thread close enough and thought you were using the stainless to work towards Red Nail or Bastard. Someone elses comment about having trouble kinking the bastard stuck in my head. Doh!

• Like 1

Now might be a good time to start experimenting with isos. 

Thanks for the responses guys.  I did find one manufacturer who could do 19/64" SS for me, though it was a 12' minimum, and works out to $4.50 per 7" bar not including shipping. So unless someone want's to go in on this with me, for partial range sweep/crush work in prep for the Shiny bastard, I'll up the volume of 9/32 SS, use some Golden's, and keep working on my 5/16" and maybe O DR work.  

If the ISO comment is for me, I can do that too.  I have some Shiny Hex bent to 4.5, 4, and 3.5" that could work well. 

Yes the iso comment was for you. I would stop doing volume work for a couple weeks and focus on the isos. Start at 30-40% power and hold for 5-10 seconds. Every couple days either up the power or the amount of time.  The big problem with isos is you get strong fast and don't know it, this can lead to injuries. Most likely bone bruising in your palms and wrists. That's some painful shit so take it slow. You will be very surprised with the strength and pain tolerance you will build. 

• Like 1