I'll be representing the Gripboard on National Television.

Electron

First, I'm sorry for my long absence from the board. I got it in my head to try out my strength on American Ninja Warrior.

In October, right before I started my audition process, I read this thread from 7 years ago that motivated me to take a different approach to my audition video. Years ago, Rex H. was putting a lot of personal money into creating a documentary about grip. It resonated with me, and I decided to carry the torch in a smaller way.

I wanted to talk about the history of our sport and how grip has changed me.

It's been a process. I learned how to shoot video and edit. I even bought about $2k in equipment so I could share our message.

My goal was to pick up where Rex left and show off our sport. I talked about the origins and filmed some footage of artifacts from the Stark museum here in Austin. The staff even cooperated with my filming and opened displays for me.

Back to the audition for ANW... I gave up because they hadn't contacted me much since I submitted the video in January, but last week I got a call back from the producer confirming that I'll be an official competitor this year. I'm stoked! They plan on featuring me with a backstory and an interview, and the producer was interested in the grip community, specifically the Gripboard.

Now, I have a chance to give back to our sport by speaking about it on national television. They'll mention the #3 gripper in my backstory, as well as the Gripboard and NAGS organization.

I need some help with details, and if you guys could answer these questions in your own words it would be a great help: What is Grip Sport exactly? How many competitions a year etc how/why/when did it start?

Thank you guys.

Here is my final audition video.

PS. I'll try not to fall in the water on the very first obstacle.

• Like 23

Killer video! Keep it up and show them what you're made of.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

Awesome! Congrats!!

Dammit...he took my adjective.

Ummm...Magnificent!  

I know you will do an incredible job.  If you go down...it WON'T be because of your grip!  :rock:rock:rock

Edit:  Had to watch it again.  Man...can't wait to see your run.

• Like 5

Hell yeah, Yori. You're gonna kick ass and bring so many new people into the sport. Thanks for being such a good ambassador. I can't wait to meet you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, anwnate said:

Dammit...he took my adjective.

Ummm...Magnificent!  

I know you will do an incredible job.  If you go down...it WON'T be because of your grip!  :rock:rock:rock

Edit:  Had to watch it again.  Man...can't wait to see your run.

You inspired me to try out. Thanks Nate!

• Like 1

Great video. Something you touch on that I'm embarrassed to say I didn't figure out until I was 30 (32 now) is that you don't have to be big to be strong. I think that's a very important message for everyone, but especially high school kids.

• Like 2

Nice vid, good feats you selected!  Main stream will get a kick out of this.   Good luck to you...that show could use you my friend :rock

• Like 1

That it is some dedication to promote sport! Also very cool that producers took the story to tell. Too bad that there is no easy way to follow this from here. Good luck!!

• Like 1

Great job Yori, the video was outstanding, love the can crush at the end!

• Like 1

I'll take a shot at "What is Grip Sport?" because I've had to describe it to a lot of people who know me and know about Cannon PowerWorks, etc.  I've found it hard to explain in a concise way without using words as simple as "grippers" which often require further explanation: 

Grip Sport is like a weight lifting contest where each event has an element of grip strength.  Generally the determining factor between a successful or failed lift is whether or not the athlete can hold on to the implement.  Different events test different kinds of grip strength or grip endurance.  Some examples are pinch strength, crushing strength, support strength, or finger strength.  There are also feats of strength which are contested, such as tearing a phone book or lifting a heavy anvil with one hand.  These feats often appear in a single event called a "medley" where maybe two dozen feats are laid out and the athlete scores points for each successful feat.  The sport has grown to the extent that contests are held worldwide and performances are tracked for records.  There are hundreds of athletes across numerous weight classes who train extensively for the events and often specialize for contests.  There is a robust online community where likeminded Grip Sport enthusiasts discuss their training and organize contests.              

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cannon said:

I'll take a shot at "What is Grip Sport?" because I've had to describe it to a lot of people who know me and know about Cannon PowerWorks, etc.  I've found it hard to explain in a concise way without using words as simple as "grippers" which often require further explanation: 

Grip Sport is like a weight lifting contest where each event has an element of grip strength.  Generally the determining factor between a successful or failed lift is whether or not the athlete can hold on to the implement.  Different events test different kinds of grip strength or grip endurance.  Some examples are pinch strength, crushing strength, support strength, or finger strength.  There are also feats of strength which are contested, such as tearing a phone book or lifting a heavy anvil with one hand.  These feats often appear in a single event called a "medley" where maybe two dozen feats are laid out and the athlete scores points for each successful feat.  The sport has grown to the extent that contests are held worldwide and performances are tracked for records.  There are hundreds of athletes across numerous weight classes who train extensively for the events and often specialize for contests.  There is a robust online community where likeminded Grip Sport athletes discuss their training and organize contests.              

Thank you Cannon! I love this answer.

16 minutes ago, Electron said:

Thank you Cannon! I love this answer.

Thanks.  I made one edit.  I meant to use the word "enthusiasts" at the end. 

2 hours ago, Cannon said:

Grip Sport is like a weight lifting contest where each event has an element of grip strength.  Generally the determining factor between a successful or failed lift is whether or not the athlete can hold on to the implement.  Different events test different kinds of grip strength or grip endurance.  Some examples are pinch strength, crushing strength, support strength, or finger strength.  There are also feats of strength which are contested, such as tearing a phone book or lifting a heavy anvil with one hand.  These feats often appear in a single event called a "medley" where maybe two dozen feats are laid out and the athlete scores points for each successful feat.  The sport has grown to the extent that contests are held worldwide and performances are tracked for records.  There are hundreds of athletes across numerous weight classes who train extensively for the events and often specialize for contests.  There is a robust online community where likeminded Grip Sport enthusiasts discuss their training and organize contests.              

Great job here Matt!