Current 3 lift totals

acorn

1 hour ago, Tom Scibelli said:

Or maybe the third event should be a one hand open hand lift, that would cut down the weight.

Personally, I am interested to see where the numbers fall (based on bodyweight) for the Tips Tester when it is contested twice this year. I think it stands a good chance of evening things out across the range of hand sizes.

• Like 1

Interesting discussions. I put these lists up primarily for those interested in where they stand as far as Elite status for their particular weight class. 

Since Elite status brings nothing more than bragging rights at this point I'm not sure it matters much if one lift is weighted more than others. Happy to discuss though. The numbers do also provide an indicator for well roundedness as well. I do think that doing the 3 with Pounds on Grippers, and Pinch and Kg on 2H DO Axle would be novel though. In my quick back of the envelope calculation it looked like 600# that way would be a reasonable equiv for 800 the regular way. 

I personally like 1H axle due to the challenge of the lift but a possible alternative for the 1H  version of the 3 lifts might be to have 2" FBBC Crusher as an alternative implement for the axle. I know I pull nearly the same on each. I know that the 1H axle is not often contested.

I also noticed I have not done a 1HP on the Euro in competition by looking at the list.

- Aaron

50 minutes ago, acorn said:

Since Elite status brings nothing more than bragging rights at this point I'm not sure it matters much if one lift is weighted more than others. Happy to discuss though. The numbers do also provide an indicator for well roundedness as well. I do think that doing the 3 with Pounds on Grippers, and Pinch and Kg on 2H DO Axle would be novel though. In my quick back of the envelope calculation it looked like 600# that way would be a reasonable equiv for 800 the regular way. 

Isn't redoing the math with kilograms just smoke and mirrors though?  Axle would still be weighted as over half the total based on what the athlete actually had to accomplish with lifts.  I don't see the value in using kilos or 50% of the weight just so the number was more "in line" with the other two.   

I like the 1-hand option for Elite.  It seems like a great alternative to the massive axle weight required for 2-hand Elite.  Axle still might be kind of heavy, but the gripper and pinch feel like they count for more.  And, in my case, I can't make 1-hand Elite solely because of my weak axle strength, which I agree with @KRC in this matter.  If I really wanted a shot, I would bring up my axle strength because the problem is not the weight---I simply cannot hold on.  Where with the 2-hand total I have no shot at lifting the required weight because of my back, where my grip has never failed on a 2-hand axle lift.   

To me, an alternative view of Elite would be if you could complete the 3 lifts (gripper, axle, pinch) for the National Qualifying poundage at the weight class above your own (in a contest, not by video submission).  It would be hard to argue that athlete is not Elite in their own class.  Also this highlights how restrictive the current Elite designation can be.  For someone in the 74kg class, if they hit the 83kg class qualifiers for grippers, axle and 2HP that would be 150+270+190 =  610.  They would not even qualify for Elite in their own weight class with that score.  If they hit the 93k class qualifiers of 150+290+200 = 640.... they would just make it.  640 is the 74kg class Elite total.  The stagnant gripper number is affecting this, of course, and scaling for that has already been proposed.  Adjusting for that would only make you further off the total, however. 

• Like 1