5/16" grade 2 full thread and 1/4" grade 5 in single IMPs

Squeezus

Just messing around yesterday and bent a couple of bolts. This is fun and very good cardio, lol. If you guys have any advice, I'm happy to hear it. I'm hoping to have DO strength like @MCrushetta someday.

• Like 7

Looks pretty good to me. It looks like on the kink your hands are kind of "floating" beneath your chin, and one thing that helped for me is to make sure part of my hands/fingers are up against my neck/collarbone/upper chest.  Not with any significant pressure, but I would think your ability to apply force when your hands are just floating out there is compromised.  Over time you'll figure out the best way to apply force for your leverages/build. 

Good stuff!

• Like 1

∆∆∆

Exactly. Try not to let your elbows flare forward like that. You want to keep everything pinned as close to your body as possible. It's just going to give you way more leverage.

Once you get a good kink on it, start moving the wraps further up the bar with each hit.

On the crush, try to get it as close under your neck and to your upper chest as possible. On the stuff really close to my max, I'll clasp my hands around it, go down into a squat, suck as much air in as possible, and then just stand up and rip into it like my mother's life depends on it.

This was good and based on what you've already done in Gripsport it's obvious that the only thing keeping you from bending really, really big steel is some technique changes.

Oh, and chalk the hell out of everything. Your hands, the wraps, if you have a cat, put some chalk on the cat too. It'll help.

Edit: just realized my profile pic is of a cat. Just a coincidence.. I'm not some crazy cat guy.

Edited by Anthony C.
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, Anthony C. said:

This was good and based on what you've already done in Gripsport it's obvious that the only thing keeping you from bending really, really big steel is some technique changes.

Agreed, big steel will fall if you stick with it, Gil.  

Oh, and chalk the hell out of everything...if you have a cat, put some chalk on the cat too. It'll help.

:laugh:laugh:laugh:rock

Good points already.  When you dial down your technique you'll be able to explode into the bar(unless you're a freak like E.J ;) ).  With your strength it'll be frightening what you'll be able to do.  This will be a warmup bar for you shortly.

• Like 2

Great bending, Gil! 

You will hear a lot about warming up before bending.  That is great advice.  Also, don't be afraid (not that you would be) to bend bars that are very close to your current max in every workout.  There is no comparison (in my opinion) to bending hard bars.  You can do a ton of easy volume bends and that won't equate to much except for dialing your form in...for easy bars.  To dial your form in for hard bars - bend hard bars! 

• Like 2

Flexibility appears to be an issue. Looks like you are about 2" away from your throat. You want to rest the bar on your throat, drop your chin and pin it there. This is the spot you will try to get for EVERY step of the bend. Bending things at nipple height is damn near impossible. Try to shrug your shoulders up higher as well. Use more chalk, punching yourself in the face sucks; ask me how I know. 

Good bending so far, tweak the technique and you will go very far

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KRC said:

Looks pretty good to me. It looks like on the kink your hands are kind of "floating" beneath your chin, and one thing that helped for me is to make sure part of my hands/fingers are up against my neck/collarbone/upper chest.  Not with any significant pressure, but I would think your ability to apply force when your hands are just floating out there is compromised.  Over time you'll figure out the best way to apply force for your leverages/build. 

Good stuff!

12 hours ago, Anthony C. said:

∆∆∆

Exactly. Try not to let your elbows flare forward like that. You want to keep everything pinned as close to your body as possible. It's just going to give you way more leverage.

Once you get a good kink on it, start moving the wraps further up the bar with each hit.

On the crush, try to get it as close under your neck and to your upper chest as possible. On the stuff really close to my max, I'll clasp my hands around it, go down into a squat, suck as much air in as possible, and then just stand up and rip into it like my mother's life depends on it.

Oh, and chalk the hell out of everything. Your hands, the wraps, if you have a cat, put some chalk on the cat too. It'll help.

Edit: just realized my profile pic is of a cat. Just a coincidence.. I'm not some crazy cat guy.

11 hours ago, Jose Cabrera said:

Good bend Gil!

39 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Good points already.  When you dial down your technique you'll be able to explode into the bar(unless you're a freak like E.J ;) ).  With your strength it'll be frightening what you'll be able to do.  This will be a warmup bar for you shortly.

30 minutes ago, bencrush said:

Great bending, Gil! 

You will hear a lot about warming up before bending.  That is great advice.  Also, don't be afraid (not that you would be) to bend bars that are very close to your current max in every workout.  There is no comparison (in my opinion) to bending hard bars.  You can do a ton of easy volume bends and that won't equate to much except for dialing your form in...for easy bars.  To dial your form in for hard bars - bend hard bars! 

29 minutes ago, EJ Livesey said:

Flexibility appears to be an issue. Looks like you are about 2" away from your throat. You want to rest the bar on your throat, drop your chin and pin it there. This is the spot you will try to get for EVERY step of the bend. Bending things at nipple height is damn near impossible. Try to shrug your shoulders up higher as well. Use more chalk, punching yourself in the face sucks; ask me how I know. 

Good bending so far, tweak the technique and you will go very far

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, guys! I will try to work on all these points and post some updates after I bend some more.

• Like 1