116.06 2HP from AZ Cactus Grip comp

acorn

Had a good day at the comp and a couple of the guy's were able to get video since I did not have a camera running.

• Like 10

@acorn  Just how close were you to passing out there? :)

• Like 1

World-class pinching Aaron! I wondered the same thing Nate did re: passing out.

Hope you can make it to Gripmas one or more years, the Euro will feel great compared to the conditions you're dealing with and it would be fun to see you in the mix for the overall WR. I'm guessing more  humid air will add ~10% or so to your pinch, especially if your hands don't sweat much. Don't you usually use a humidifier for your comps or is it so dry that it doesn't even make a dent?

2 hours ago, anwnate said:

@acorn  Just how close were you to passing out there? :)

Too close. Normally only have to worry about that on big gripper closes or very hard  bending hits held too long when I was still bending.

1 hour ago, odin said:

World-class pinching Aaron! I wondered the same thing Nate did re: passing out.

Hope you can make it to Gripmas one or more years, the Euro will feel great compared to the conditions you're dealing with and it would be fun to see you in the mix for the overall WR. I'm guessing more  humid air will add ~10% or so to your pinch, especially if your hands don't sweat much. Don't you usually use a humidifier for your comps or is it so dry that it doesn't even make a dent?

Thank you Bob. I hope to get out there some day too. Conditions here are rarely good for the euro and I have come up with some work around strategies to deal. No hands don't sweat much. I have used the humidifier for indoor comps but the last couple have been outside and it would have to be in a sealed plastic tent with it. This last one was about 85deg, 5% humidity and 20+ mph winds. That's why I usually train on my Saxon instead lately or the wood pinch block. Less variations. I only did 3 sessions on the euro leading up to this comp in the last 2 weeks and last one was light deload. For specificity the last couple weeks. Less webbing tears and more volume with the Saxon also.

• Like 3

It was so dry on the day of the comp, that I simply didn't use any chalk on my hands, and tried to get them a bit sweaty to activate the chalk already on the 2HP.  Back home in Phoenix, I usually train at night in the garage, albeit with the door open, and go very light with the chalk.  The good thing is that it seems like our 2HP devices out here don't get very "greasy" which is something I noticed at Nationals in 2013.  When we do get some moisture rolling in with monsoons or the rains from So Cal, then I do see some increased friction on the 2HP, Inch DB handle, and blobs.  Stuff will all of a sudden get easier, and one is left to wonder if it's the moisture, or something in training that boosted the performance ;-).  

• Like 3

Awesome!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, David Mitti said:

STRONG!  Well Done Aaron!

Thanks everyone!

Nice lift. As far as moisture, ever consider a swamp cooler?

When I first pinched this weight it was in a swamp cooled gym 6 years ago and I think it helped. My own house does not have a swamp cooler. We removed it, threw it in the dumpster and had AC put in. Certain parts of the year here it is comfortable. During the monsoons in the summer they don't work at all and suck.