AZ Cactus Grip Showdown 2016 Results

acorn

Held Saturday March 26th, 2016

Events: 20mm Blockset Grippers, 2HP (Euro), Inch style plate loadable thickbar.

Placing

Mens Overall

1. Aaron Corcorran

2. Gil Goodman

3. Martin Braun

4. Andrew Pantke

5. Ian Gillaspie

6. Tim Struse

7. Brian Gay

8. Martin Braun Jr. (age 11)

Womens Overall

1. Michelle Harrison

2. Maria Bascetta

3. Victoria Struse

AZCG2016-scoresheet.jpg

Also broke results out by classes and the only class that had more than one competitor was the Mens 120kg class.

AZCG2016-scoresheet-120class.jpg

Congrats to all who competed!

• Like 7

Cool that Tim Struse showed up for this.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

Cool that Tim Struse showed up for this.

Was really good to see him. Didn't have to twist his arm too much to jump in and join us.

• Like 5

What a great 2HP result Aaron! Also very impressive gripper performance by Gil in the 93k class (and thickbar).

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

What a great 2HP result Aaron! Also very impressive gripper performance by Gil in the 93k class (and thickbar).

Thank you. Been chasing that for 6 years since I first pulled 256# in training. Finally got it done in a comp.

- Aaron

• Like 1

This was an awesome Comp!  Gil showed up and put up great numbers on grippers, and took the top lift on the loadable Inch.  Aaron was on fire with 2HP.  I was happy just to be putting up reasonable numbers given my left thumb injury in November, so I was just happy to hit 205# on 2HP, and I barely missed 215# by an inch or two.  Andrew from FBBC showed up and put up some great numbers, and I think maybe some PRs?  

2HP was a little more tricky than usual this year, just because of the really low humidity and dry wind blowing.  I was actually not using chalk at all for 2HP, and just let my hands sweat up a bit, burn them up by rubbing them together, and then get them on the metal real quick.  

It was awesome to see Tim competing again, as well as his wife.  There were other great people that aren't necessarily into grip as much as we are, but they show up and have a good time and put in the effort.  For those that haven't been to Cactus Grip, it really is a family event and we try to help everybody get their best numbers.  My son got some good gripper closes in, and was able to lift the unloaded loadable Inch DB to get on the board. Hopefully next time he can lift an unloaded 2HP.  

Many thanks to Aaron for putting this on - arranging the venue, hauling the stuff, making the trophies, and all the other work that goes into these!

• Like 5

Congrats to all who competed and thank you to Aaron for doing this!

I was a little confused at first that everything was in kilos except for grippers. For a second there I was like, did Aaron close a 387lb gripper? :D

• Like 2

Thank you Aaron we had a great time. 

9 hours ago, bwwm said:

.  Andrew from FBBC showed up and put up some great numbers, and I think maybe some PRs?  

Thanks Martin. I nearly matched my all-time best of a 156 gripper close. The pinch was off by about 15 pounds but that just goes to show how tough the conditions where. The 195 felt way harder than pulling 210 back home. 

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

Congrats to all, sounded like a great comp. Aaron, I bet you'd pull some stupid weight if you pinched in some cold clammy dreary Ohio early spring weather. Ever since I moved to south Texas my pinching has been lousy, never get a good bite on the steel.

29 minutes ago, jvance said:

Congrats to all, sounded like a great comp. Aaron, I bet you'd pull some stupid weight if you pinched in some cold clammy dreary Ohio early spring weather. Ever since I moved to south Texas my pinching has been lousy, never get a good bite on the steel.

Thanks, I bet I would. Conditions for the comp were awful for pinch this time. Super dry, mid 80s, we were outside with 15-25mph winds. Everyone had trouble, but I did ok and was still able to hook up. Ice cubes in hands between attempts, etc.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

12 hours ago, acorn said:

Thank you. Been chasing that for 6 years since I first pulled 256# in training. Finally got it done in a comp.

- Aaron

That 2HP result is MASSIVE.  I think 6 all time on the list.

Just now, Cannon said:

That 2HP result is MASSIVE.  I think 6 all time on the list.

Yes. #6 all time and #3 all time for Americans behind Kody and Jedd.

• Like 6

Maria and I did a video of our performances at the AZ Cactus Grip Showdown. All in all, we had a great time and absolutely loved Tucson. The AZ crew was a blast to hang out and grip with and the competition was super fun. We're definitely hoping to make it back for future competitions.

• Like 4

Thanks Aaron - what a great great time. I have some goals and benchmarks now, after competing in this, and know where I want to be for Nationals and afterwards. This was a blast!

• Like 4

This is the DB that I made and we used for the thickbar event for the comp. Solid Cast iron machined handle and machined solid Hemispherical profiled plates on the inside. In the pic loaded to 210 for test load.

20160325_154133.jpg

20160325_154151.jpg

20160119_151938.jpg

• Like 1

Genius dumbbell design!! Love the idea of the adjustable "inch" with the rounded sides and old school collars. Those grippers look amazing also, stout looking springs! 

27 minutes ago, jvance said:

Genius dumbbell design!! Love the idea of the adjustable "inch" with the rounded sides and old school collars. Those grippers look amazing also, stout looking springs! 

Thank you! 

11 hours ago, jvance said:

Thank you, yep they came out nice. The men's prize grippers are on part with #3 level.

Congratulations to Aaron and all the competitors! Excellent results for most, despite less-than-ideal grip weather!

• Like 1