How can I gain strenght for setting a gripper?

Drakon61

I can't speak for others but I got better at it by just practising it, building up my thumb pad with my Better then the TTK pinch device. Also watch this video a few times.

When I just started with grippers I had problems with setting the grippers (TSG) that where close to my max. 
I got myself a vulcan gripper and this helped my setting strength enormous, I had no problems anymore with setting a TSG. 

Practice setting using a heavier gripper than you are currently using

• Like 7

Be explosive, don't waste time on the set. Ideally you should be able to set it with your assisting hand and not waste any energy with your crushing hand. When you practice setting you don't necessarily need to close the gripper you can do it as a seperate exersize. You don't always need to use heavier gripper either, you can use lighter grippers and close them entirely by setting, do it with any assistance from the crushing hand, don't fingerwalk the gripper.

Train your forearms, especially the lower part, wrist and fingers. Train your whole upper body, bench press, deadlift, shoulder press etc. Be strong as a beast because you'll need it. For me the weak link (at the level I'm at with grippers right now) is strength in the left forearm.

19 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

Right, don't make an attempt to close at all, but get a gripper that is hard to set and literally exercise by practicing setting that gripper.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John McCarter said:

Boom!  

(that's "The Beast" droppin' the knowledge bomb :))

• Like 3

I spent a lot of time with the Vulcan and I think it's a great product, but doing CCS other wider sets dramatically increased the "start range" strength in my closing fingers, which translated very well into MMS sets.  When setting for MMS, you're pushing down with your setting hand but you're also pulling in with your closing hand fingers, and training both got me results.  

• Like 1

there are several good videos on youtube, watch those to make sure your technique is good. Lots of practice with a variety of grippers, lighter-to focus on proper technique and heavier-to build strength. When I get into really heavy grippers I'll use both hands (setting hand and fingers of gripping hand). 

18 hours ago, John McCarter said:

^This. I practiced using my goal gripper and it payed off in the end. What I messed up at my first contest though was placement, @Squeezus can attest to that. If I placed the gripper better I would of hit back to back Prs and had a better standing in the contest. Just a thought I'd add that. Setting in the right place everytime is just as important as the strength to set. Be mindful it could cost you a PR. 

• Like 2