South Jersey 3 (Sat. June 11th)

anwnate

So...E.J. asked if I was going to have another grip-together this Summer.

Last night I got the green light from the wifey. :rock

I chose June 11 for five reasons.

1.  It's after NAGCS...no one will have to worry about injuring themselves etc.

2.  If someone wants to go to NAGCS and this...they could.

3.  Some people simply can't attend NAGCS this year...but could attend this one due to distance.

4.  It's far enough from July contests to not interfere.

5.  It worked well with my schedule. 

The REAL reason for having this Griptogether is to hang out and have fun with people who share the same passion. That said, I am going to discuss having a sanctioned or partially sanctioned contest this year.

Here's the basic breakdown I am thinking of.

9am-10am       Weigh-in  (while I shall remain sober, beer, wine, spirits shall flow freely as you wish for as long as you wish)

10:00am          Rules

10:15am          3 event Contest begins

It is my intention to test both hands equally in this contest and add points together.

Because of this effect on time…I am limiting the "official" contest to 3 events.

2:15pm     Contest ends...stuffing of faces with mass quantities of food commences

3:45pm - (no set endpoint)  

Prizes awarded for 3 event contest,

Unofficial 2 event contest …Deadly Medley, RT Farmers Walk (prizes 1-3 for heavy and light),

feats of strength,

nail bending,

general fun stuff.

I am not completely decided on events yet but I'm leaning towards…

Grippers 20mm blockswipe  (L + R)

The Flask or IM hub (L + R) …need some feedback on this.

Rolling Thunder (R + L)

The "Unofficial Contest" breakdown

Deadly Medley (R + L)  Competitor will run through medley twice (L for 1min followed by R 1min)

RT Farmers Walk

In this event, there will be a heavy class (150lbs on each RT) and a light class (100lbs on each RT).  You will have 45 seconds to walk them as far as you can.  Forward motion can only begin when both RT's are lifted with shoulders relatively level with each other.

I am going with the RT for the thick bar event because 3-4 of us plan on certing the CTD in late August.  This should give us a general idea of where we stand with 10 weeks or so to go.  That and my back has a hate/hate relationship with the Axle.

Nothing here is set in stone except for having fun.   Feedback is welcomed from all…whether or not you can come.

These 7 people have already signed on to show up.

Anwnate :cool

E.J Livesey (the instigator)

Tom Scibelli (Finally!)

Anton Torrella (hopes to cert. The Bastard at comp.)

Anthony Clarino (he who roars)

John Manna (The M.I.A.)

Jose Cabrera (M.I.A. 2...the sequel)

...and I have 3 maybe's at the moment…Chez, Wojo, Rico.

On the very off chance that someone far away wants to show…there is a Best Western 0.8 miles away.  I also have 1 hide-a-bed couch left open. P.M me. 

BTW…South Jersey 4 (definite sanctioned contest) will be on Saturday July 15th, 2017…the week following the (confirmed) June 3rd NAGSC.  Our very own "Geralt" will be attending South Jersey 4…so lock up that date peeps.

If you are curious how things went last year…here's a link to what happened…

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/topic/44065-sat-june-13-south-jersey/&page=3#comment-637305

Edited by Cannon
Request to fix the 2017 date
  • Like 5

This is good news. I'm really excited for this. I had so much fun last year, ate good food, and met good people with a similar mindset. I'm really happy to see some structure this year. I think it will add even more fun to an already extremely fun time

• Like 2

Had a great time last year, i'll definitely be there again this year!

• Like 2

Let's make sure all these awesome comps get sanctioned officially.

Here's the link to the process: 

Thanks!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Let's make sure all these awesome comps get sanctioned officially.

Here's the link to the process: 

Thanks!

Absolutely @Jedd Johnson. I was going to wait until I actually bought the calibrated plates(or p.o weighed existing ones).  I'll start the process right now if yall can take my word the plates will be good by June. :)

Best to start earlier, if you don't mind.  I've got a very busy spring with travels, and I don't want to miss stuff.  Thanks buddy.

• Like 1

South Jersey contest??? May have to consider this! Got nothing in June... for now!

• Like 1

This sounds like another great time in the making and I'm really looking forward to it!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tank Andrade said:

Definitely in for this big Nate!

Sweet!  

Time for the...

tank%20adrade_zpsogsjqj3g.jpg

• Like 4

I've had to make a few adjustment to the plan.

Event 2 will be "1HP (The Flask)"  (This was voted on by those already signed on to compete)

Even 3 will be 2.5" FBBC Crusher (RT is no longer recognized by NAGS due to it's inherent variability)

Name of Contest:  South Jersey 3

Promoter's Name: Nathaniel Brous

Date: Saturday, June 11th

Time:  9am weigh-in/warmup, 9:45am rules, 10am Start

Nearby Hotel:  http://www.westdeptfordinn.com/  (Best Western) 0.8 miles away

Entry Form:  attached to this post (bring completed form to contest)

Divisions: Men: 59kg / 66kg / 74kg / 83kg / 93kg / 105kg / 120kg / 120+kg; Women: Open

Events: Events will be contested both right and left handed (4 attempts each)

Grippers Block set (20mm), 1HP Deadlift (The Flask), 2.5" Crusher DL

Entry fee:  BYOB and appetite.

E.J is insisting on contributing.  Any like minded can shoot Paypal donations to (thanrekop@gmail.com) 100% of donations will go directly to prize pool.

Lunch will be provided…Grilled Hotdogs,(Cheese) burgers, Ribs, Sausages (peppers/onions), potato salad, coleslaw, snacks, water, gatorade. 

BYOFFV = Bring Your Own Foo-Foo Vegetables.

More details to follow...

Entry form.x south jersey 3.docx

• Like 1

For the guys that came last year, you gotta donate. Nate paid for everything and it was a nice spread. It's only right, and don't cheap out. 

New guys, donate money or prizes. You won't be disappointed. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, EJ Livesey said:

For the guys that came last year, you gotta donate. Nate paid for everything and it was a nice spread. It's only right, and don't cheap out. 

New guys, donate money or prizes. You won't be disappointed. 

Whoa whoa whoa.  Not asking for anything.  I'd rather someone put the money in the gas tank and come, rather than worry about donating.

That said...if you insist on throwing in...it's all going to come back to the competitors.  The food and venue is on me...the wifey actually said the event is my Birthday present...so let's do it up!

I was totally honored by the group that managed to show up last time.  I can only hope to match that vibe.

(side note:  @EJ Livesey, that was an utterly ridiculous amount of money to send.  I'm sending back half of it...the rest goes into the prize pool.  Totally appreciate the gesture and what it meant though. :) )

• Like 2

So the money you refunded, I will roll that into something for everyone. Some kind of souvenir for everyone. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Anthony C. said:

Get a room, you two.

lol...you do know that between us you are antagonizing over 500lbs of fury. :)

In regards to the contest...I neglected to mention that events 2 and 3, "The Flask" and "FBBC 2.5" Crusher" will both be RISING BAR.  Grippers you may of course drop down if needed.  With the exception of maybe 2-3 gaps greater...the grippers are in 5lb increments or less.

• Like 3

I'd like to come this year as long as I don't work, Iv already talked to Than about it.

• Like 1

Nate will be back on this, but there was a mix up in the date, we will be visiting West Deptford the weekend of July 15th! The 8th of July we will be off to the states. I just read this, otherwise I would have chimed in much earlier. We are restricted in dates because of schoolvacation of the kids. Wow what a line up of folks to meet man....would be very cool to shake your hands, people.  An adventure of a lifetime. Of course I don't expect everything to be changed because of this, just saying that the date of our visit is different than mentioned. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Geralt said:

Nate will be back on this, but there was a mix up in the date, we will be visiting West Deptford the weekend of July 15th! The 8th of July we will be off to the states. I just read this, otherwise I would have chimed in much earlier. We are restricted in dates because of schoolvacation of the kids. Wow what a line up of folks to meet man....would be very cool to shake your hands, people.  An adventure of a lifetime. Of course I don't expect everything to be changed because of this, just saying that the date of our visit is different than mentioned. 

Yup...my screw-up. Sorry!  In my defense, I've been professionally knocked out by anesthiologists over 40 times in the last 8 months.  It's impressive that i can tie my shoes.  

Just kidding...I just leave my shoes tied and slip my feet in and out of them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My health aside...things are moving forward nicely for June.

Better Strength and Performance is now aboard with some donations for prizes. (Thank you Wojo!)

I'm almost finished my recent batch of magnets.  This time I grinded a few down to exact weights.  I also put a rust inhibiting primer and gloss coat on these.  (they will likely see some rain ;) )  I made two extra which I'm donating as prizes for June.  The smaller magnet is sitting on the blob50 because I just lifted the blob with the magnet (yes...from the tip of the curve).

Yup...they are that strong.

20160405_094002.jpg

• Like 5

I need an exact head count of everyone going for the souvenir.  I

I also need to know what everyone expects to bend, weight wise. Gotta calibrate and get prizes together. 

Pm, text, email or post here; just please let me know. 

Hey EJ - I'm going to bend a 7" bastard nail in im singles - or atleast thats my goal for nate's house and what I've been striving towards for like the last 6 months - I'm consistently wobbling one now and have been for like the last 3 months - wobbling, not even kinking - I just changed up my training routine a last week and hopefully I'll get one down by then

• Like 3

Headcount 9+ weeks out.  Speak up if you are planning on attending.  Gotta get some stuff ordered.  @EJ Livesey

Attendees so far...(11 atm)

Anwnate (NJ)

E.J Livesey (MD)

Tom Scibelli  (MD)

Anton Torrella  (NY)

Anthony Clarino  (NY)

John Manna +1 (NJ)

Jose Cabrera  (NY)

Christopher Andrade +1 (Amber or friend) (CT)  (attendee distance winner)

Matthew Hunt (NJ)

Maybe's...

Wojo (NJ) (probable)

Chez (NY) (probable...competing/helping or both)

Rico (PA) (work schedule unknown atm)

Jedd (PA) (morning unlikely..."unofficial contest" after lunch/hanging possible) (possible +1)

JStepien (NJ) +1  (possible...will know more into May)

• Like 2