CCS

KapMan

I want to incorporate more credit card setting into my workouts. The problem I've having is the set is a bit wider then my fingers seem to want to deal with. I was hoping to gleen some tips from you guys. Is there a way to overcome this, do I just need to improve finger strength?  

Consider beginning to train with a compromised palm-handle position.  By compromised I mean out of the "sweet spot" and further back toward your wrist.  I have an average hand (7-5/8") but also a very short pinky.  I have found a balance between compromising the palm-handle position to effectively make my fingers longer and also practicing wrapping my lower fingers during the close.  I start with just index and middle.  I can wrap the ring finger almost immediately, but cannot add the pinky until I get the gripper to about MMS width.  It feels natural now and all happens pretty fast in a natural cascade as the gripper shuts.  This is the only way I can handle CCS width, but I definitely lose quite a bit of strength.  But, like anything else, I can use this method to train up to higher levels. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I want to incorporate more credit card setting into my workouts. The problem I've having is the set is a bit wider then my fingers seem to want to deal with. I was hoping to gleen some tips from you guys. Is there a way to overcome this, do I just need to improve finger strength?  

I found deep setting and letting it out did the trick for me.  Some people just set it to ccs...amazes me. I find it wayyyyyyyy harder that way.

17 minutes ago, anwnate said:

I found deep setting and letting it out did the trick for me.  Some people just set it to ccs...amazes me. I find it wayyyyyyyy harder that way.

Me too, I have the hardest time setting to CCS. I'll try deep setting. If I understand right that's basically setting beyond CCS and letting go to CCS? 

1 minute ago, KapMan said:

Me too, I have the hardest time setting to CCS. I'll try deep setting. If I understand right that's basically setting beyond CCS and letting go to CCS? 

Exactly...for me...I get better skin grab and leverage.

Yes definitely set it deeper and let it out but for training try some no sets. Meaning place the gripper in your hand exactly where you want it but don't push the handles closer with anything other than the hand you're going to crush with. Try to find a gripper with a spread that is not too big. You don't need to bring your pinky to the party until it's closing time either.

If I understood the question I don't think deep setting and letting it out will fully address @KapMan's problem.  If it does, then that is good news.  But for example, I cannot train CCS that way effectively.  If I set a gripper as normal, but then open up to CCS width, I will only have 2 fingers left on the gripper.  When I go to squeeze again, I'm practically pinching the gripper shut, which does not work at all.  I lose all "skin grab" and leverage and am left trying to close the gripper from the least-advantageous position you can imagine.  I have to use a compromised handle position in combination with getting some skin grab and only letting it out a little.     

• Like 1

I just put the dogleg further back in my palm so my fingers are on properly. I realise this might loose a lot of power but never figured out a better way yet...?

3 hours ago, KapMan said:

The way I would train ccs, if I was to go back to using that instead of mms. My main focus would be on setting the gripper differently so the card could slide through the ends with no problem, after the first close I would open the gripper to parallel and attempt to close it again until the said set was done. I would continue doing this to build up the strength in that said position; this way I would not have to re swipe the card every freaking attempt and would only be on the first rep only.

• Like 2

Being on the edge now of FINALLY getting some decent CCS strength, I have concluded for myself that I had to practically learn myself a whole new movement with CCS work and TNS work compared to my MMS strength. I have done my 176lbs Ghp8 from a decent MMS once but never got a harder gripper TNS than 135lbs. This doesn't make sense and this is exactly why I am still having trouble with the sets from CCS and wider. I agree with Matt that you will need to get comfortable with the dogleg further in your palm. Also personal preference of course, how you set up for CCS. If I would set the gripper deep and then let it go, I would loose to much power and run out of fingers when I reach CCS width lol 

• Like 2

Use the 1.5" block set. I find it helps CCS, and MMS.

ccs for practice before a cert, I can see...but using that for strength training is not the best way to go - Imo.

i know nobody likes doing CCS training...we do it to build confidence because if you don't get it right on cert day, you may miss bad. Lots of anxiety with this card set.

If it's uncomfortable for you to CCS, Kap, 1.5"will work for you. 

• Like 2

I will post a pick when I set it up tonight, I think that help better. I didn't think to that before.  When I try to set to CCS its all finger tips unless I remove it from the typical power pocket. I'll fool around and find what's best. I do want to cert on the 3 before the years out atleast that's my intended goal. 

• Like 1

Try to focus on everything brother, I also got positive results from high reps (30) tns with my #1 and also high reps tns with the #2. I end my grippertraining with these. 

Being able to TNS a 2.5 is good base for bigger wide set work. Obviously it's not beneficial to think about ccs training when you can't close at least a 155 #3 from parallel. 

Or try to CCS a #2 and from there rep it with 20mm blocksets. This will help training outside the powerpocket you mentioned. Good luck! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geralt said:

Being able to TNS a 2.5 is good base for bigger wide set work. Obviously it's not beneficial to think about ccs training when you can't close at least a 155 #3 from parallel. 

I have heard a few people over the years say the best way to CCS a #3 is to close a #3.5/Elite with MMS.  The general idea is that going about 20lbs overboard on horsepower compensates for what you lose with a CCS. This comment will probably make people pop out of the woodwork, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who can close a #3.5/Elite MMS but is not able to CCS an average #3.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I have heard a few people over the years say the best way to CCS a #3 is to close a #3.5/Elite with MMS.  The general idea is that going about 20lbs overboard on horsepower compensates for what you lose with a CCS. This comment will probably make people pop out of the woodwork, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who can close a #3.5/Elite MMS but is not able to CCS an average #3.   

That's basically true.  I was closing a 171 #3.5 (light I know), when I certed successfully...however, that was already my top range on my failed cert.  Training the CNS with speed closes CCS was pretty much what made the difference.

I can torque my 144 #3 at MMS set wider at 25 mm for two. I can get almost 3 solid reps back to back when it's choked. I try to combine reps and holds and now that I want to cert on the 3 figured I'd up the ante. But based on what you guys have said, I have a long road before then. I can slam 30 reps with my number 1 but it seems most of my grippers were rated at the lower ends of the spectrum and I have yet to acquire ones higher in the range. I'll figure it out, I always do.  Thanks as always gents.