Mms reps for TNS

Drakon61

I don't think there is a lot of carry over. The position of the gripper is very different compared to doing TNS so you are programming the hand differently. Try to set the gripper optimally for a MMS set and remember where you put the dogleg / palm handle. Lay it on the table and pick the gripper back up and try to no set it, without actually starting the close. The (dogleg/palm) handle will be in a much different position. where you would normally have closed the gripper, your hand will now need to close up further. Also, the pulling handle will be more towards end of the fingers. Long story, but that's how my experience is. Better is to cycle TNS and MMS during training. That's what I do now. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 2

I'd say that to me I wouldn't be able to put a number on this...
would guess that I'd need A LOT, like, I mean A LOOOOOT of reps on any given gripper (or rather, I'd think I'd say I would prefer to be able to dominate a heavier gripper than repping anything for that carryover to happen) in a MMS-position for it to actually give me a transfer over to TNS...

I need to train TNS for the sake of TNS so to speak, unless I train MMS waaay beyond my TNS abilities it doesn't seem to carry over much in to TNS-stuff for me... sure, if you get stronger on MMS you'll have gotten stronger all over in your hand, but, the TNS is such a different thing, at least to me it is.

/peter

Very difficult to say, TNS is very difficult and it also depends so much on the gripper, some grippers has a really wide and nasty sweep while others have a really spongy sweep but binds up like hell at the close. The average GHP will be harder to TNS than the average COC even if they rate the same etc. For some people it might not be the case though since the knurling is also a factor, GHP have sharper knurling.

It probably depends a lot on what level you are at also, if you're at a very high level of strength the gap will probably be much bigger.

For me my best TNS close is probably around 122-125 lbs RGC, I haven't tried a gripper rated at that number but I've done six reps with a GHP6 rated at 128 lbs with MMS (wide) but that wasn't really max effort so I'd say it's more than 10 reps for me if the gripper was the same for both sets.

Also, if you train a lot of TNS closes the gap will probably decrease.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 1

I like the Zeniths for TNS, they're so slippery that's about the only way to close them, and you can do high reps because there is no knurling to tear up your skin.

My left is stronger tns, right is stronger with a deep set, bottom line they are just different types of strength.