Deadlifting 406x100 Reps in 50 Minutes Or Better

3Crusher

Rick Walker posted up a brutal workout that not many would undertake.  He deadlifted 406 for 100 reps in 50 minutes.  406 x 100 has been on my "bucket list" for a long time.  Two days ago I decided to take up the challenge.  I am 52 1/2 years old, I am not getting any younger so this was as good a time as any to try this insanity.

I finished my 100 reps in 48 minutes and 49 seconds.  This was a brutal workout.  A very tough workout.  My hands are pretty beaten up and I am pretty sore, but I am very happy that I did this.  A couple of other recent efforts that I completed in the last month was deadlifting 316 pounds for 133 reps in 30 minutes and cleaning and pressing a 100 pound granite sphere 300 times in a shade under 2 hours and 19 minutes.  All reps were controlled down to the floor. 

Has anybody else tried anything similar to this, such as max deadlift reps in half an hour, or something similar? I would like to hear about what you have done if you have undertaken such an effort.

• Like 3

This is a great challenge. I also know that sherdog and dutchbodybuilding.com did a 5 minutes challenge back squat. Getting the max volume in just 5 minutes and some guys did 56 reps with 275lb. You could also do this with the deadlift. 

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/may-conditioning-challenge-5-minutes-alone-with-back-squats.1200572/

• Like 1

I once did squats with 100kg - 100x in a bit over 30min - in fact it was 10x10x100kg. For me that was tough! I know, there are guys who can do this in a row... I think it is the best effort sport wise I have ever done and I often remember this scenario and I'm happy I have done this. A good idea would be to squat with 100kg as often as possible in one set or for  1 hour as often as possible. Or just BW squats - as many of them in 24 hours!

• Like 2

Did what I called the poundstone complex. Basically you start by doing the poundstone curls (100 curls with a 45 pound bar) then right after that you do 100 Skull crusher. I never did time it, I've only done it once and I felt like my bi and tris were peeling off the bone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KapMan said:

Did what I called the poundstone complex. Basically you start by doing the poundstone curls (100 curls with a 45 pound bar) then right after that you do 100 Skull crusher. I never did time it, I've only done it once and I felt like my bi and tris were peeling off the bone. 

I did this with a friend in the last few months and my elbows were acting up for weeks :P  Lots of soreness though, which I like

• Like 1

A group of us did sponsored DL to help pay for our friend to travel to the WDFPA World's (Lima, Peru) in the mid 80's. Our challenge was to lift 100kg (220lb) for 200 reps in 30 mins or less. None of us trained for this (I think this did nothing for the health of my back!). I managed the 200 reps in 29.5 mins, but one of the older, lighter lads (who also had the best deadlift) manages it in about 20 mins (not sure if he didn't manage it in 18 mins).

Edited by Old Dax
  • Like 1

This is some good stuff and some good hard work.  100 of anything is rough but you start getting to the 200 and 300 range and things are just ridiculous.  I am happy to see that there are quite a few undertaking such challenges with the squat and deadlift.  I have done high rep curls and such as well and they burn like hell.  I am hoping to pick up some new ideas here for my workouts, so please keep the posts coming. 

• Like 2

Stared this as a teenager and still do it at least once a year.  It's not even close to what you all are doing but it's a fun few minutes.  100 hundreds is what I call it - it's simply 100 full squats with 100# non stop (no sit downs and no rests except to breathe).  It was a lot easier 50 years ago :).  Doesn't have the strength component of what you guys are doing but it does get the old heart rate up.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Stared this as a teenager and still do it at least once a year.  It's not even close to what you all are doing but it's a fun few minutes.  100 hundreds is what I call it - it's simply 100 full squats with 100# non stop (no sit downs and no rests except to breathe).  It was a lot easier 50 years ago :).  Doesn't have the strength component of what you guys are doing but it does get the old heart rate up.

Sometimes it's enough to to 100 BW reps without break - I assume it's not getting better as times goes by...

Impressive work, Steve!

What Steve always seems to forget when discussing and coming up with new ways to actually try to kill one another is although he is older than me, 52.5 vs. 38, I have suffered cardiac death 4 times and have a machine in my heart that controls my heart beat 98-99% of the time.  The only time it doesn't is when I throw an arrhythmia and it CANT pace my heart.  So I am 100% dependent on this machine the size of almost a deck of cards to LIVE.  Even when the change it out I have to be plugged immediately into a machine that allows my heart to beat until the new one can be attached.  IMO, this completely wipes out the age factor because if I make it to the ripe old age of Steve, it will be a flipping miracle.  Especially training like I do.

Great job OLD MAN. ;)