Gil Goodman

105kg
Jeff Parker
Andrew Durniat

120kg
Jedd Johnson
Andrew Pantke

• Like 1

Where are all the New England/Jersey gripsters? Also Tommy J should be coming bc he has to pick up his db at NAGS

I want to apologize to all my Grip friends who I feel I’m letting down by not attending Nationals this year.  Sometime in the middle of April I woke up with my low back hurting again (no idea why) – and progress has been way too slow in getting it going again.  I know mentally the only way I can go to Nationals is as a competitor – not a spectator, I just cannot do that again (watching/judging doesn’t work for me – it just makes me miserable) – and I also know that at this time that’s simply not a smart thing for me to do – if I went I know I’d sign up and compete.  A 210# Euro pull puts me in agony with my back right now - I can't imagine what an Axle DL might do to me.  I’ll furnish equipment and sponsor it but that’s it – I’m sorry.  Training has not been going well – my back hurts too much and I’ve entered a sort of “therapy” mode while working on my climbing and bodyweight stuff – which I can still do without pain thankfully.  Climbing at least is going well - all the stretching seems to be good for my back. 

That said - where is everyone?  With all the "grow the sport" talk - I expected Nationals to be huge this year. 

Edited by climber511

I had planned on going again this year but an elbow injury has derailed those plans.  Sorry I can't make it, I had a great time last year

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

That said - where is everyone?  With all the "grow the sport" talk - I expected Nationals to be huge this year. 

My thoughts exactly, figured there would be more peeps going. I'm simply not strong enough to cert on any of the required things for 120k+ Maybe next year.

20 hours ago, climber511 said:

I guess if you run an annual competition long enough there will be years when, by chance, an unusually large number of people are unable to attend.

Some years attendance would slack I agree.

Is it that people cannot make it? or that people could not qualify this year?

Just a question?

9 minutes ago, canthar said:

Just a question?

My numbers are close but not good enough to qualify, maybe next year.

I ask because qualification can be a difficult thing to figure out. Knowing if it is required numbers, opportunity or just actual coincidence can be good feedback for the process.

Women
Maria Bascetta

Men

83kg
Michael Rogowski

93kg
Lucas Raymond
Gil Goodman

105kg
Jeff Parker
Andrew Durniat
Jake Sahlaney

120kg
Jedd Johnson
Andrew Pantke

Also, Bryan Hunsaker submitted qualification videos, but I have been running around the last 4 days and haven't been able to look at them.  He is 120+.

On 5/21/2016 at 0:22 PM, canthar said:

Just a question?

Not sure why there aren't more people.  Only a handful of people have contacted me saying they couldn't make it for this or that reason.  I'm certainly interested in hearing why some of the perennial competitors are not coming.

I'm not a perennial competitor, and would love to come, but will be in Alaska during this time.

• Like 1

I'm not a perennial competitor either, but did qualify this year with my red nail cert.

Unfortunately double overhand bending doesn't have much carryover to other aspects of grip and that's pretty much all I trained for 2015. So I'm just not "Nationals worthy."

Combined with only being able to make X amount of road trips a year and I also have another passion I have to split those with (road trips to various pro wrestling shows).

• Like 3

My deal is the same as Anthonys. Finally qualified but not ready yet, ill see you gents next year

• Like 2

This is quite the eye opener as I worked hard to make it to NAGS and couldn't wait to go but it seems other people do not feel the same way as I did. I see the low numbers and thing what are we doing wrong; while SJ3 (nothing negative about it at all as I wish I could make it) has like 25-30 people coming. Is the location the problem, people just don't want to, etc; whatever the reason there needs to be something that we change to have more people come and participate. 

24 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

This is quite the eye opener as I worked hard to make it to NAGS and couldn't wait to go but it seems other people do not feel the same way as I did. I see the low numbers and thing what are we doing wrong; while SJ3 (nothing negative about it at all as I wish I could make it) has like 25-30 people coming. Is the location the problem, people just don't want to, etc; whatever the reason there needs to be something that we change to have more people come and participate. 

This is why I asked for feedback. Whether is was a difficulty in qualifying for people (numbers or finding places to qualify) or timing and travel related. Worse case is it a disinterest? Not enough incentive to go? The more feedback the better so things can be improved in the future. 

Hell if people want to message me I can submit things anonymously if for any reason that is an issue. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

I have a couple of suggestions, this is not meant to offend anyone, it's just some observations, here they are:

1.  I think announcing the date for National level contest just three months prior doesn't leave people enough time to prepare everything they need to do to make it to it.

2.  I think the event should be hosted at different places each year, like they do with other national level events, powerlifting, weightlifting etc.

3. Luke brings up a good point that 25 people might be at SJ3 and 20-30 people were at the Southern Squeeze, I think that's because they were promoted very good.  I'm not seeing that for NAGS.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lucasraymond said:

@Lucasraymond 

I did a little research into this the last couple of days and compiled a list of names of NAGSC stats (it's now pinned).  I think out of the 24 competitors I'm pretty sure are showing up...only Tom Scibelli and Wojo have attended NAGSC before(I think?).  I don't believe that either of them had planned on making it this year.  So...I don't necessarily think SJ3 is drawing from the same well of competitors.

With the exception of Tank & Co (2 3/4 hours), Carl (5+hours), and Nic (a sick 8.5+ hours away maniac)...the rest of the peeps (18 or so) live 2 hours or less from my place.  That makes for a pretty reasonable day trip...without the added expense of hotels and whatnot.  

So...if you combine competitors, location and lack of expense...it makes a decent case for a good turnout.  And...like Tom said...promotion doesn't hurt.  I've probably harassed 90% of peeps coming until they agreed to show up. (no...really :) )  I knew I couldn't count on my pure awesomeness alone. ;)

• Like 4

Every comp anyone has held is 4-8 hours away. So I have to pick and choose ya know? SJ3 just sounds epic, nationals.. not so much. Even if I qualified this year I wouldn't go as I'm not even close to being able to compete with someone like Jedd, real turn off if you ask me especially at a "National" level contest. Rather go to a fun contest with interesting events with the commoners.

11 hours ago, Tom Scibelli said:

I have a couple of suggestions, this is not meant to offend anyone, it's just some observations, here they are:

1.  I think announcing the date for National level contest just three months prior doesn't leave people enough time to prepare everything they need to do to make it to it.

2.  I think the event should be hosted at different places each year, like they do with other national level events, powerlifting, weightlifting etc.

3. Luke brings up a good point that 25 people might be at SJ3 and 20-30 people were at the Southern Squeeze, I think that's because they were promoted very good.  I'm not seeing that for NAGS.

NAGS is either the first or second weekend in June every single year so people can plan on that being the case every year

If the drive is the issue then other people need to volunteer their time and location to help run Nationals but Ohio is a fairly central location for the group of guys that are usually attending (Michigan, PA, Ohio, NJ, Texas, Tenn, etc). It does suck to have to drive that distance and then have to pay for hotels, food, gas, etc but without others offering to help or people not voicing their opinion about it until 2-3 weeks prior then this is what happens. I have not discussed any of this with Jedd as I am unaware if these convos have even taken place in the past. 

And the whole mentality that "I'm not good enough to compete at Nationals" is sad as it could be used as a learning experience from the guys that are competing at high levels and have tons of experience. Just my opinion is all and a difference in my mentality I guess, as I don't want a prize/medal/trophy unless I earned that shit, screw the participation award BS.

• Like 2

NAGS is either the first or second weekend in June every single year so people can plan on that being the case every year

Yes but you unless you've been around for awhile that's not an easy piece of info to find out. Not trying to be a Jerk but I had the same issue a few years back. 

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Just my opinion is all and a difference in my mentality I guess, as I don't want a prize/medal/trophy unless I earned that shit, screw the participation award BS.

Could not agree more. Competing against people with a lukewarm interest is as boring as shit, but as you indicated, not everyone feels that way. There is nothing as humbling and at the same time beneficial for your own progress in grip sport as competing against others stronger than yourself. If you want to be great in grip sport then compete against the best whenever you can.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 1

As soon as I'm able to qualify (I'm right on the edge with my numbers) Ill being going every year. Any comp I want to goto means at the very least means 4-8 hours in the air plus all the stuff the comes with it. I would rather take last place at nationals then not go at all.

• Like 4