2016 North American Grip Sport Championship

Jedd Johnson

59 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

The fact that you and Luke, who are world class in many of the wrist feats (e.g. sledge choke, slim lever), have difficulty doing 8 lbs, even in an untrained state, I think speaks volumes about the degree of difficulty.

That's why there's also going to be a 6lb sledge.

1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

I'm able to do it, but I'm not convinced many guys in the lower classes will be able to.

Will they be able to pinch 200lbs on the Euro or close a 170-rated Gripper?  Most likely not.  That is why we start with lighter weights, and thus the reason for the 6lb hammer. 

1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

This would be my preference. Everyone gets to complete the lift, earning some points.

You don't think a 6lb hammer will accomplish the same thing?

4 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

You don't think a 6lb hammer will accomplish the same thing?

I do not. I think a 4-lb hammer would.

5 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

I do not. I think a 4-lb hammer would.

Do you have a 4lb hammer?  Maybe you could bring it to Nationals, and we can use it (hopefully same length handle).

46 minutes ago, climber511 said:

All my sledges have 31" handles - if you have 32.5"  things will get harder quicker.  I find a 6# sledge extremely easy - even when untrained.   I can do an 8 anytime but reps are a challenge and on a 32.5" handle it gets difficult.  My 9.25# is just tough untrained but singles aren't bad after a few weeks on the Wrist Thingy.  Because this is something few people ever train it seems that this ability develops quickly.  I think if people actually put in some specific training it won't be a problem with 6 and 8# hammers.

Jedd - handle length is what?

I will measure tonight and report back.  I wasn't planning on providing the Sledges this year, but am happy to, if needed. 

I don't. But I agree it would be nice if one was available for the NAGS Championship.

1 minute ago, Eric Roussin said:

I don't. But I agree it would be nice if one was available for the NAGS Championship.

I agree. Also have to think about women who may compete.

It would be great if we can get a few people to actually try 6 and 8lb sledge hammers first, and report back, that would be great.

If that they can't do either one, we'll make sure there's a 4lber at Nationals.

Good point, regarding women competitors. 

How about 25" handle with 6#, 8#, and 10# hammers? the torque of a 8#  hammer at 32" would be 256 in/lbs; if you did the 25" that would leave 6# (150 in/lb, 8# 200 in/lb, and 10# 250 in/lb) which I think all people would be able to complete

Edited by Lucasraymond

45 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

It would be great if we can get a few people to actually try 6 and 8lb sledge hammers first, and report back, that would be great.

If that they can't do either one, we'll make sure there's a 4lber at Nationals.

Jedd,

I'm assuming you meant competitors for this years Nationals which I'm not qualified for, but as an active Gripsport competitor I thought I could chime in if it helps.  I tried with my 6lb hammer that has a 32.5" handle after warming up a bit and couldn't budge it....granted, most people at Nationals are likely stronger than me, but maybe this data will help the decision process a little. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

How about 25" handle with 6#, 8#, and 10# hammers? the torque of a 8#  hammer at 32" would be 256 in/lbs; if you did the 25" that would leave 6# (150 in/lb, 8# 200 in/lb, and 10# 250 in/lb) which I think all people would be able to complete

I like that Idea. Just to be sure I'm clear. Take a 6#, 8#, and 10# and cut the handles down to 25".

yes

4 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

II still feel the overall best option is an adjustable type sledge. A stick with a plate loading (standard plates so the hole doesn't have to be large) apparatus attached at the top that way you can accommendate anyone (women, lighter classes etc.). 

I'm getting lost here.  AMRAP - so someone doing 1 rep with a 10# beats 10 with an 8# or 15 with a 6# - or 30 with a 4#???  Am I looking at this correctly?  Starting to look a lot like any rising bar max effort lift.  :)

34 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I'm getting lost here.  AMRAP - so someone doing 1 rep with a 10# beats 10 with an 8# or 15 with a 6# - or 30 with a 4#???  Am I looking at this correctly?  Starting to look a lot like any rising bar max effort lift.  :)

Ya. That's is right. We did this at the hands across the sea comp at Jedds a couple years back. If you did five seconds with a #3 on the silver bullet hold it beat 10 seconds with a #2. It worked well and incorporated strategy and ensured everyone could at least get on the board. I believe he even let us drop down if you failed on the higher level so it wasn't raising bar (I might be wrong on this point). But lets say there are several guys who can only do 8 but not 10 then it comes down to reps. I think there was also a min allowed like 5 secs  or it didn't count so you needed at least some endurance. You could implement a min rep count for this event also

Edited by Chez

Also if the weight jumps are planned well it will be more about reps

I will not be attending NAGSC this year and only make this suggestion out of a spirit to help. I can not rotate a 6 lb hammer and exercise pro/sup rotations weekly. If you were already planning to have two different weight hammers, where is the harm in having a three and four pounder as well?

Worst case scenario nobody ends up needing them. Best case scenario everybody gets to put forth a best effort. Aren't "DNF's" hard to score anyway?

If need be I, being completely unskilled, will gladly make the hammers and get them to Wooster somehow.

I was also at the Hands Across the Sea comp. Chez is mentioning. Everyone competed fiercely regardless of level and the energy due partly to this was awesome.

• Like 1

Well said josh. That is still one of the best comps I ever been to. Great atmosphere 

Edited by Chez

7 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

I will not be attending NAGSC this year and only make this suggestion out of a spirit to help. I can not rotate a 6 lb hammer and exercise pro/sup rotations weekly. If you were already planning to have two different weight hammers, where is the harm in having a three and four pounder as well?

Worst case scenario nobody ends up needing them. Best case scenario everybody gets to put forth a best effort. Aren't "DNF's" hard to score anyway?

If need be I, being completely unskilled, will gladly make the hammers and get them to Wooster somehow.

I was also at the Hands Across the Sea comp. Chez is mentioning. Everyone competed fiercely regardless of level and the energy due partly to this was awesome.

My only point is that I think if people train the event, they will be able to get a 6lber done. 

7 hours ago, Chez said:

Well said josh. That is still one of the best comps I ever been to. Great atmosphere 

And this event allows for that same kind of atmosphere, Chez.  That is precisely what I was thinking, plus, the added benefits of no hand size benefits, as well as no specialized equipment. 

38 minutes ago, Gingernaut25 said:

June is coming fast but I'm curious what a guy would have to do to qualify for this contest? 

• 2 weeks later...