2016 North American Grip Sport Championship

Jedd Johnson

Ok...so this turned into a lonnnnng post. (who me...never. ;) )  But I had a lot to say...feel free to skip it.

On 5/20/2016 at 2:58 PM, Lucasraymond said:

Where are all the New England/Jersey gripsters? Also Tommy J should be coming bc he has to pick up his db at NAGS

Former Contestants...

NAGSC x2 times...Chez.  Recently tore bicep.  Still in recovery mode.

NAGSC x1 time...Brian Burgos (wrapped up in Daddyhood)...not even sure he's training.

NAGSC x1 time...Wojo.  Very busy with business....is only coming for second half of SJ3, barely training grip.

Others...

Nate...dealing with heart issues still (good days/bad days).  If I attend Gripmas...75% of my motivation will be to meet up with peeps (great vibe too).

Jose, Anton, Michael, Matt, Andrew, Joe, Mike, Kevin, Mo, Frank, Manna either aren't currently qualified or stopped training grip.  

Hell...I had to cajole Manna to get off his couch and start training again. ;) (a process which took several months btw lol)

Anthony and Chris...don't feel prepared.  I don't have a problem with that...and will address that below.

22 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Not sure why there aren't more people.  Only a handful of people have contacted me saying they couldn't make it for this or that reason.  I'm certainly interested in hearing why some of the perennial competitors are not coming.

Collecting the NAGSC data...I was surprised by how few people actually have attended regularly.  There seems to be only 8 people who have made each of the last 3 years.  Brent has been MIA/dealing with stuff, haven't heard whether he'll show this year.

2 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

or people not voicing their opinion about it until 2-3 weeks prior then this is what happens.

Two or three weeks prior is when people opinions were asked.  

Both you and Jedd made mention or questioned where the competitors were.  I don't think anyone came on this thread complaining about the current situation...they just decided not to attend Nats.  However, since the question did get asked...I think you got some honest answers that might prove helpful in the future.

If the drive is the issue then other people need to volunteer their time and location to help run Nationals but Ohio is a fairly central location for the group of guys that are usually attending (Michigan, PA, Ohio, NJ, Texas, Tenn, etc).

I would consider hosting a Nationals one year...but wonder if people would want to perform Nats in a garage smaller than Jedd's setup.  Besides...I've never hosted a sanctioned contest...and anything as big as this year.  For all I know...this could be quite the clusterf--k. lol  Hope not. :)

If it does go well...and there is interest in moving Nat's around, I'd be open to hosting.  I realize that it's a ton of work...and I'm certainly not pushing for this, but if such an idea would spike attendance and was the will of the large majority...I would certainly step up to the plate.

And the whole mentality that "I'm not good enough to compete at Nationals" is sad as it could be used as a learning experience from the guys that are competing at high levels and have tons of experience. 

I suppose that would be true if there were not other contests to compete with the best.  I've competed at numerous contests with you and Jedd, had training sessions with a ton of people, and competed at a Gripmas that had nearly every elite gripster this side of the pond.  I also recall seeing Chris and Anthony at Gripmas this past year.  I can't blame them for feeling like they'd like to get a little more experienced before jumping in the "big pool."  I feel that way myself.

Just my opinion is all and a difference in my mentality I guess, as I don't want a prize/medal/trophy unless I earned that shit, screw the participation award BS.

I've been overwhelmed by the response and sponsorship of SJ3.  Everyone leaving the event...won't be leaving empty handed.  However, the reward for excelling (beyond personal satisfaction), will be the pick from the prize pool...many of which are pretty awesome.  I don't necessarily see it as a "participation award", but more like a cool momento to remember the event by.  If you would prefer to get a badass award (like the FBBC Badass Bender's Bag hint hint), then work your ass off and place first. :)

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Yes but you unless you've been around for awhile that's not an easy piece of info to find out. Not trying to be a Jerk but I had the same issue a few years back. 

I strongly feel the same.  I've actually started working on this very thing.  As awesome as this board is (and it is), we don't necessarily have things organized in a manner that a "new" gripster can easily access the information.  It'll require a bit of work to get started...but when it's going, it won't take too much to maintain.

• Like 6

Maria and I would be open to hosting Nationals in Nashville. We have a big venue that would work well.

• Like 8

Ok, I'm gonna add my 2 cents about not attending nationals. First off, I was training for New Jersey's Strongest Man which was suppose to be on the 14th, but it got cancelled. I felt if the event still went on, I believe, I would not be ready for nationals in a short time. If I was going, I wanna be in a serious mindset with no doubt. Plus, with $$$ wise, I think, I'll be pushing it with expenses & other bills. Another reason for me, was this is more near by me. I rather drive 1-2 hours than 5. Being honest, I'm having a hard time training for SJ3. Been struggling.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JStepien said:

Being honest, I'm having a hard time training for SJ3. Been struggling.

Ha!  Training or not...you're a serious threat for the overall. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, anwnate said:

I highly doubt that son! I think tank can beat me

• Like 1

I have to be honest that one of the biggest barriers for me, year after year, is expense.  Time off work, airfare, hotel, rental car, food, etc.  The year I attended Nationals it was hosted at Chris Rice's place in Ohio.  I think all said and done it cost me $500+ to attend from Minneapolis.  And that was sharing some expenses like a hotel room with Daniel Reinard, and a car with Daniel and Tim Struse.  Tim might have paid for the car entirely, I can't remember now.  I could have traveled via carpool, which I believe Adam Glass did that year, but that has its own expenses and extra time (14+ hr drive).   

Could Nationals ever be a multi-location, single-day extravaganza like WSH?  That would really open up the flood gates.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, anwnate said:

I'm agreeing with Nate on this one!! JStephen is a beast!!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Could Nationals ever be a multi-location, single-day extravaganza like WSH?  That would really open up the flood gates.

Interesting question. A big part of why I like attending the NAGS Championship is the atmosphere. There's just something cool about taking part in a contest with most of the top grip athletes in North America under one roof. And the grip feats and challenges that occur after the contest are really fun.

But there's no question that a multi-venue NAGS Championship would shoot attendance numbers way up. Careful consideration of the pros and cons of this format would be required.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

I'm agreeing with Nate on this one!! JStephen is a beast!!

Thanks Luke, but been struggling to get motivated & in that mindset for SJ3

42 minutes ago, JStepien said:

Thanks Luke, but been struggling to get motivated & in that mindset for SJ3

Dude I hear ya because I have two nationals coming up and hard time training for both; armwrestling is making grip training difficult!

• Like 1

Luke, you are my pick to win the 195-lb Amateur Division at the WAL Finals in Las Vegas. I'll be there to cheer you on.

• Like 3

On 5/20/2016 at 5:00 PM, Tom Scibelli said:

Can NAGS be held at different locations each year?

No reason it can't.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2016 at 3:16 PM, floyd43 said:

I had planned on going again this year but an elbow injury has derailed those plans.  Sorry I can't make it, I had a great time last year

That stinks.  Hope you heal quickly.

19 hours ago, Tom Scibelli said:

I have a couple of suggestions, this is not meant to offend anyone, it's just some observations, here they are:

1.  I think announcing the date for National level contest just three months prior doesn't leave people enough time to prepare everything they need to do to make it to it.

2.  I think the event should be hosted at different places each year, like they do with other national level events, powerlifting, weightlifting etc.

3. Luke brings up a good point that 25 people might be at SJ3 and 20-30 people were at the Southern Squeeze, I think that's because they were promoted very good.  I'm not seeing that for NAGS.

Good feedback.  Thanks.

Rather than quote each post and say thanks, I want to say thank you to those providing feedback.  Keep the constructive feedback coming.

• Like 1

I'm all about the win, I'm all about training my ass off for the win. I'm not about getting mud stomped regardless if it's a learning experience or not. I want to be competitive not an easy win for someone else. So if that upsets your alpha male mindset then oh well. Just don't get complacent....

I still have yet to make it out to a Nationals. Cost is the big prohibitive factor for me. Kids are expensive! Too far to drive even to the midwest from out here on the west coast. I would be happy to host as well but it would be the same travel issues for likely all the east coast and midwest folks that normally drive to the venue. A multi venue contest would work but like has been said part of it is the atmosphere and having everyone compete on the same equipment.

- Aaron

• Like 3

I am still envious that you guys only need 4-8 hours to get to a grip comp. Just about all grip comps are held pretty much on the other side of the planet from my perspective. At least I always have the jetlag to blame if I suck.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

I am still envious that you guys only need 4-8 hours to get to a grip comp. Just about all grip comps are held pretty much on the other side of the planet from my perspective. At least I always have the jetlag to blame if I suck.

bummer...

The trip up from south Texas is just too much for me at this point with a toddler. Last year pretty much wiped me out physically and mentally and was hard on my wife as well. I have sorta just taken a bit of time off to focus on my strength priorities without specializing for a while. 

On the feedback side, I'd prefer a multi venue contest to gin up more interest for the years to follow. I think it's more important for new guys to show up and become veterans of the sport than it is for the perennials to be there every year. There should be more focus on the lighter classes and less emphasis on qualification... I know  the qualification standards raise the prestige of attending "nationals", but if we can't pull in more than 15-20 people, most of whom are 93kg+, then the prestige of winning is gone because hardly anyone is competing.. Last year I won the 83kg class but only had one otherguy in the weightclass. If the standards were dropped/loosened then who knows how many more people would've shown up and been able to soak in the experience and learn. In the coming years that knowledge and experience will yield stronger competition and enhance the experience of attending nationals. We are too small an entity to have to set a bar for attendance. The standards should be significantly loosened and the door should be open to all - maybe in years to come there can be some showdowns for the top guys in the class but for now we gotta bring people in.

Edited by jvance
  • Like 3

Firstly, I expect the competitors that show up for NAGSC this year to fight just as hard as if 100 hungry competitors showed up. I will be wishing I was there and maniacally checking for updates.

When the decision is made on where NAGSC 2017 could be, please let somebody know.  There will be athletes qualifying starting on June 11th(SJ3). 

Just an idea, since there is a push for multi-venue contest, why not have a regional championship contest. It could be several venues on the same day with the same events across the continent with local(i.e. Mid-atlantic champion, Lone star champion, Quebec champion, etc) and overall placing. It could be counter to NAGSC like in Jan./Feb. with different events.  This might build momentum for NAGSC and give the newer competitors a less daunting and less costly way to compete on a continent wide competition.

Just trying to help.

• Like 3

A couple of thoughts in regards to the last few posts.  I believe there is a concern that "watering down" the qualifing feats would water down the prestige of the event.  Could we not have a "New/Journeyman" division that runs concurrently with the "Elite" if there is a multi-venue option? Awards only going to the elite division only.  This could be a "-Rite of Passage" to finally earn the ticket to "Elites". That way we can bring new people into the fold yet maintain the Nats status. Heck...if "Elite" Nats Qualifiers need to be tighten a small amount, so be it.

I realize that an "Elite" status has been implemented in the past, but what I'm suggesting is slightly different.

As far as cash prizes...I feel that the there will have to be a concerted effort to find sponsors outside...or slightly aligned to the Grip world.  Otherwise...if it's entry fee based, we may as well just paypal jedd and Kody for the privilege of beating our butts. ;)

17 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Luke, you are my pick to win the 195-lb Amateur Division at the WAL Finals in Las Vegas. I'll be there to cheer you on.

Thanks Eric...I'm going to give my best!!

I've competed in 7 grip contests in the last 3 years now and had a blast at every one of them...I'm sure Nationals would be just the same, but for me qualification is the limiting factor.

Last year I qualified due to my Red nail cert, but it was a tough year financially for me so any and all "trips" were out of the question.

This year I'm in fantastic financial shape but I simply can't meet the criteria to qualify for nationals.

I'm sure eventually my lifts will qualify me but it definitely won't be this year.

Good luck to all those attending!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Interesting question. A big part of why I like attending the NAGS Championship is the atmosphere. There's just something cool about taking part in a contest with most of the top grip athletes in North America under one roof. And the grip feats and challenges that occur after the contest are really fun.

But there's no question that a multi-venue NAGS Championship would shoot attendance numbers way up. Careful consideration of the pros and cons of this format would be required.

People don’t want to have to travel – that I understand but by gaining one thing we will certainly lose out on what has always been the best thing about Grip Nationals – that “I worked my ass off and here I stand with the best in the world at something, all under one roof going head to head with the very best”.  You aren’t going to have that with multiple venues.  Things that come too easily have very little value in the long run.

• Like 10