2016 North American Grip Sport Championship

Jedd Johnson

Starting a new topic for the NAGS Championship.  I am helping Andrew with announcements and behind the scenes.  He is still hosting the event at Durniat Strength, in Wooster, Ohio on June 4th.  10AM start.

Entry Form:  Download Here

EVENTS:

1) Competition Grippers, 20mm block set, both hands, 4 attempts

2) Max 2HP, 4 attempts

3) DO axle deadlift, max weight, 4 attempts

4) Sledge Hammer Floor Rotations (In/Out Pronation/Supination).  60 second time limit to get as many rotations as possible.  8lb and 6lb hammers will be used, with 30-inch handles.  One rep with the 8# hammer is worth '1 point', one rep with the 6# hammer is worth '0.5 points'.  This keeps the scoring in line with the medley also scored with heavy/light implements. 

5) Medley, 60 sec time lift. We will have 12 identical items, one heavy and one lighter, you can attempt either but will only be scored for one. Scoring will be 1.0 for the heavier item, 0.5 for the lighter item. In the case of a tie, the faster time will be rewarded an additional 0.25 points.

Medley items (Same as last year):

- 2-45s or 2-35s

- InchDB or Gracie DB

- 100stamp Blob or blob (40#)

- Sorinex Saxon bar @ 205# or Sorinex Saxon bar @ 165#

- Sorinex Anvil Horn @ 170# or Sorinex Anvil Horn @ 130#

- Hampton 45 by hub or Hampton 35 by hub

- Slim lever off the ground @ 12# or Slim lever off the ground @ 8#

- Sledge lever to nose @ 16# or sledge lever to nose @ 10#

- Sorinex Pop's grip machine @ 180# or Sorinex Pop's grip machine @ 135# (both hands used in alternating grip)

- 5-tens or 4-tens

- Tips tester @ weights to be determined

- Rolling Thunder @ 200# or Rolling Thunder @ 160#

Complete rules will be out soon.  I wanted to specifically post a quick demonstration of the wrist event, the In/Out Sledge (Pronation/Supination)

• Like 1

Thanks for the informational video Jedd, I think it looks like a great event.  Do you have to go back and forth pronation supination each time?  I noticed you said that you can switch hands at any time so if you couldn't rotate it with with your hand in the pronation position anymore, would you then be able to just go back and forth from hand to hand using supination?  

This video is reassuring. I thought these would need to be done with a full-length sledgehammer!

Eric, it will be done with full size sledges, Jedd said in the video he was just using a smaller handle because he wasn't warmed up

What implement exactly will be used?  If a sledge - what weight and what handle length?

1 hour ago, Jeff Parker said:

Eric, it will be done with full size sledges, Jedd said in the video he was just using a smaller handle because he wasn't warmed up

Oh, wow. I quickly skimmed through the video with the sound off.

Will everyone be able to execute this lift? I've only tried it with a light sledge, and it seemed difficult and awkward.

In my Gripmas Medley I used an 8# sledge with a 1 1/4# plate attached - so 9 1/4# on a 31" handle.  Very few did it.  But if people train for it I would expect that many people strong enough to otherwise qualify for the National Championship can do an 8 pounder for reps - how many is unknown :).  A 6# one will be a speed event. 

I just hope that the weights that are used are tested to the point that it is very likely that even the lightest competitors will be able to do at least some reps. If competitors feel as though they may earn 0 points in an event it can really discourage attendance.

1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

I just hope that the weights that are used are tested to the point that it is very likely that even the lightest competitors will be able to do at least some reps. If competitors feel as though they may earn 0 points in an event it can really discourage attendance.

This is always a problem with any fixed weight event and I struggle with it when setting up my Medley every year.  How do you allow the "weakest" competitor to do the weight at all and still challenge the very top guys?  Sometimes there simply is no weight that does both. 

• Like 2

I agree that medleys are a challenge to plan. It's relatively easy, however, to include a handful of feats that are likely to be done by everyone so that at least some points will be earned. But earning no points at all in one of five events can be hard to take -- especially if it's not due to a strategic error (i.e. scratching due to selecting an opening weight that is too high). 

5 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

I agree that medleys are a challenge to plan. It's relatively easy, however, to include a handful of feats that are likely to be done by everyone so that at least some points will be earned. But earning no points at all in one of five events can be hard to take -- especially if it's not due to a strategic error (i.e. scratching due to selecting an opening weight that is too high). 

When the actual implement spec is announced everyone will be able to try it out and make an informed decision - as well as train with similar equipment - sledge hammers are readily available.

On 3/14/2016 at 7:44 PM, Jeff Parker said:

Thanks for the informational video Jedd, I think it looks like a great event.  Do you have to go back and forth pronation supination each time?  I noticed you said that you can switch hands at any time so if you couldn't rotate it with with your hand in the pronation position anymore, would you then be able to just go back and forth from hand to hand using supination?  

As far as I am concerned, if you wanted to keep bringing back the sledge to the same position in order to rotate the hammer the same way, that would be fine. 

On 3/15/2016 at 11:02 AM, Eric Roussin said:

This video is reassuring. I thought these would need to be done with a full-length sledgehammer!

They will be.  I used the smaller hammer because I wasn't warmed up.

23 hours ago, climber511 said:

What implement exactly will be used?  If a sledge - what weight and what handle length?

6lb and 8lb sledgehammers will be used.  Full length handles.

22 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Oh, wow. I quickly skimmed through the video with the sound off.

Will everyone be able to execute this lift? I've only tried it with a light sledge, and it seemed difficult and awkward.

This action has been in Gripmas for years, sometimes with 8lb hammers with weight added.  With your arm wrestling, you are much stronger than me in wrist and forearm, Eric.  I am sure if you train this event, you will be able to do it. 

7 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

6lb and 8lb sledgehammers will be used.  Full length handles.

Maybe a loadable sledge type device can be used to make sure everyone can do it with certain fixed weight jumps. One rep at a higher weight beats reps at a lower weight. Kind of how we did the silver bullet hold at your place with different grippers. That will probably address Erics concern. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, climber511 said:

In my Gripmas Medley I used an 8# sledge with a 1 1/4# plate attached - so 9 1/4# on a 31" handle.  Very few did it.  But if people train for it I would expect that many people strong enough to otherwise qualify for the National Championship can do an 8 pounder for reps - how many is unknown :).  A 6# one will be a speed event. 

After Nationals 2013, JT and I continued to train this for a while, and he was literally able to do rep after rep after rep.  Don't talk yourself out of things before you really try them.

20 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Gotta get down on the floor with a sledge and start working it, my friend.

19 hours ago, climber511 said:

This is always a problem with any fixed weight event and I struggle with it when setting up my Medley every year.  How do you allow the "weakest" competitor to do the weight at all and still challenge the very top guys?  Sometimes there simply is no weight that does both. 

Let's discuss that in a different thread, if we can.  That's a whole other ball of wax.

18 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Please keep in mind that this is the National Championship Contest, and that there's a good chance that some people, although qualified by the established parameters, will not be competitive yet, due to a lack of experience and strength. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

Maybe a loadable sledge type device can be used to make sure everyone can do it. One rep at a higher weight beats reps at a lower weight. Kind of how we did the silver bullet hold at your place with different grippers. 

A 6lb sledge is much, much easier than an 8lb sledge.  The most important thing is to get some practices going and work your way up.  For Gripmas, each year, Luke and I start out with a very short black iron bar with weight on it, and by the time the contest gets here, we're doing the 8lber.

1 hour ago, Jedd Johnson said:

This action has been in Gripmas for years, sometimes with 8lb hammers with weight added.  With your arm wrestling, you are much stronger than me in wrist and forearm, Eric.  I am sure if you train this event, you will be able to do it. 

I'm able to do it, but I'm not convinced many guys in the lower classes will be able to.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Maybe a loadable sledge type device can be used to make sure everyone can do it with certain fixed weight jumps. One rep at a higher weight beats reps at a lower weight. Kind of how we did the silver bullet hold at your place with different grippers. That will probably address Erics concern. 

This would be my preference. Everyone gets to complete the lift, earning some points.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jedd Johnson said:

A 6lb sledge is much, much easier than an 8lb sledge.  The most important thing is to get some practices going and work your way up.  For Gripmas, each year, Luke and I start out with a very short black iron bar with weight on it, and by the time the contest gets here, we're doing the 8lber.

The fact that you and Luke, who are world class in many of the wrist feats (e.g. sledge choke, slim lever), have difficulty doing 8 lbs, even in an untrained state, I think speaks volumes about the degree of difficulty.

• Like 1

All my sledges have 31" handles - if you have 32.5"  things will get harder quicker.  I find a 6# sledge extremely easy - even when untrained.   I can do an 8 anytime but reps are a challenge and on a 32.5" handle it gets difficult.  My 9.25# is just tough untrained but singles aren't bad after a few weeks on the Wrist Thingy.  Because this is something few people ever train it seems that this ability develops quickly.  I think if people actually put in some specific training it won't be a problem with 6 and 8# hammers.

Jedd - handle length is what?