Meet SID...a new challenge item

anwnate

So awhile back I was scanning Craigslist when something caught my eye.

It was a pair of 115lbs Solid Steel Irongrip Dumbbells.  Turns out, he was willing to sell them for a small fraction of a new pair.

Were they in poor shape...sure, but nothing a little paint couldn't fix.

SID_zpszcjqonw9.jpg

However...(heehee)

fazini_zpsjy1ll3qr.jpg

gomez_zpsjfit0bb7.gif

Sid%20and%20dew_zpsfxgw8awe.jpg

I have named them SID...(Solidsteel Irongrip Dumbbells).

They are all around 56-57lbs.  I grinded them, then flap sanded them with progressively finer grit.  They are very very slick.

One is heading to Crooksville, one to Charlotte, and one to Central Jersey.

Can you pinch one?  If you are in South Jersey, you are welcome to drop by and give it a shot...otherwise, show up at Gripmas!

• Like 9

I want to give them a try! 

• Like 1

Nate, can you bring one to NAGS?

15 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

Nate, can you bring one to NAGS?

I won't be attending NAGS this year...but wojo, Chris or jotto may.  I'm only attending Tom's and Gripmas.  I'm committed to them...even if I have to sit and cheer.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, anwnate said:

I won't be attending NAGS this year...but wojo, Chris or jotto may.  I'm only attending Tom's and Gripmas.  I'm committed to them...even if I have to sit and cheer.

You gonna bring it to Tom's then? I'm gonna try to stay uninjured and make it to Gripmas this year as well.

Edited by Squeezus
  • Like 3

You bet!  Cept for you I'm gonna spray it with WD40 before your attempt. :)

• Like 3

I can bring mine to Nationals for all to try.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, acromegaman said:

What is the width on them?

They are only 4 1/8"...maybe a 1/4" wider than a Blob50...before the flare starts.

The width and weight (56-57lbs) are not what makes it challenging...it's the smooth texture.

Here's a comparison pic.

SID%20comparison_zpsmjctolbg.jpg

Unfortunately...I just pinched the sucker.  I'm terribly bummed.

I say unfortunately because it doesn't seem a great deal harder than my 52lb blob50.

I don't know what happened today...I couldn't even get air under it before...but I tried it right after my blob50 and it went right up.

They are pretty, I got a good price on em, and they will be a good medley item...but it's not the super challenge I hoped for. :(

Sorry to make such a big deal about them.  I'll buy em back if the buyers are unhappy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anwnate said:

Sorry to make such a big deal about them.  I'll buy em back if the buyers are unhappy.

You're awesome Nate. 

I think these are really cool.  These Iron Grip dumbbells look like they make EXCELLENT block weights.  Are they out of production or hard to find or something? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cannon said:

You're awesome Nate. 

I think these are really cool.  These Iron Grip dumbbells look like they make EXCELLENT block weights.  Are they out of production or hard to find or something? 

They make them...but they are insanely expensive.  Try to Google them. They really are solid steel...no filler etc.  So yeah...they pretty much never show up on CL.

I got some 50s 45s and 40s awhile ago on Craigslist pretty cheap.  I cut them up and welded them together on a 2.5" handle.  

image.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jeff Parker said:

I got some 50s 45s and 40s awhile ago on Craigslist pretty cheap.  I cut them up and welded them together on a 2.5" handle.  

image.jpg

Sweet!!!  That's a thing of beauty!

Yeah I've seen some lighter IGs on CL...but not the biguns.

Big Tuna!  Ha.  Very creative...and very smart.

2 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Sweet!!!  That's a thing of beauty!

Yeah I've seen some lighter IGs on CL...but not the biguns.

Big Tuna!  Ha.  Very creative...and very smart.

Thanks Nate.  It was fun to make and not too hard.  Lots of grinding!  

I saw a heavy iron grip dumbbell at a play it again sports around me not long ago, I think it was a 95, but for .59 a lb I passed.  I think I paid half that for mine.

I like your new pinch blocks, I plan on going to nationals this year so looking forward to trying it out

• Like 1

Update...

Saw Wojo yesterday.  He tried his SID...nothing at first.  Then he chalked his hands lightly...blew some moisture in them...and tore SID right off the ground with both hands.  In about 15 minute he came super close to cleaning it 3 times.  It was number 4 that did the trick.

Sadly, yesterday I was only able to hop it and do holds at the top. :(  So...while Wojo is a beast...SID probably is less difficult than the average blob50.  With the slickness and added weight...it should be a good bridge the gap block weight. 

• Like 1

What some might consider easy might be a challenge for others so I wouldn't consider this is a fail. It sounds like a fun block to clean as you have mentioned and that might be the challenge for you.

• Like 1

Mine arrived yesterday - it's beautiful. I gave it a few tries - got 3 to 4" of air is all.  Darn thing is slick :). 

• Like 1