Jake Sahlaney - Level 1

Bill Piche

gallery_9552_18_411.jpg

The GripBoard Proudly Certifies:

Jake Sahlaney

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

This certification is granted by The GripBoard as an independent third party with no ethical or commercial conflict of interest.

The Mash Monster Gripper is one of a limited number supplied and controlled by The GripBoard.

The gripper is closed with one hand under strict and uniformly ethical and authenticated conditions.

This momentous feat was demonstrated on video to assure it will be valid for posterity.

Official Mash Monster Video

Name: Jake Sahlaney
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 240
Date of Feat: 2/27/2016
Witness: Andrew Pantke, Jeff Parker
How Long Grip Training: December 25th 2013 got my first C.o.C gripper. I started overall grip training June 2014
Current Grip Training Program: Consists of mostly training for competition events and working on specific feats or goals I’m trying to obtain.
Other Training Info:  Mornings 2-3 times a week I’ll hit some isometric squeezes/holds Nights: 4-5 workouts a week, usually hit about 3 hard grip days along with some sort of Olympic lifts.  with 2 days of  grip rehab/active rest exercises. Grippers x2 days a week doing singles and doubles, TNS, CCS, MMS in that order. Also depending on what’s going on i’ll have arm wrestling practice between 2-4 times a month.  Along with a deload week thrown in every 6 weeks or so. 

Acknowledgements: 

I just would really want to thank my wife Caitlin for supporting me and letting me take over the entire garage and make it my gym! I wouldn’t be able to work on grip as hard as I do without her constant encouragement. 
Everyone on the GripBoard has been amazing. 

My father he’s been my idol all of my life, and has supported me in everything I’ve ever done.

I started out watching Jedd Johnson’s  videos and emailing him constantly for help,  he’s always answered my questions and has been extremely helpful.  I’ve learned a lot from him and I’ve been a member of the TGA for some time now. He’s actually is one of my main motivations in my training while I try to catch up to him. 

Kody Burns! this guys is one of the nicest and strongest guys out there and he’s always willing to give me some advice. 

Andrew Pantke-This guy invited me to come over and train at his home without even meeting or talking to me, he opened my eyes to a whole other world of grip, and I owe him a lot, he’s become a great friend and business partner.

Could you tell us a little about your background in lifting? I have been lifting and training ever since  I was in Jr. High.  Ron Kosloff who’s a close family friend really sparked my interest in bodybuilding when i was at a young age. He was mentored by the great Vince Gironda and used to show me all his books and pictures and tell my brother and I about all his training regimens and diets. So It all started out with  bodybuilding and then changed to plyometrics and powerlifting, now mostly everything is my training has been geared towards Grip Strength and Olympic Lifting.

How did you get into grip training? I got into grip after reading about some arm wrestling specific workouts and training regimens and came across a picture of John Breznk using a C.o.C gripper. And i was introduced to Ironmind grippers. But it wasn’t until I was trying to find some rehab exercises for an old elbow injury I had that I discovered this whole world of grip. I found some Diesel Crew videos of fixing elbow pain. After looking more up on Jedd I eventually made my way to the Gripboard. And have been hooked to everything grip strength related ever since.

You are now a GripBoard Mash Monster, what would you recommend to those aspiring to close this gripper? I would suggest not over training. More isn’t always better. Find a program that works out for you and stick with it.  Check out Jedds Cadence Gripper program. Wait until you can close at least a 155 gripper prior to certing on the MM1

How has your grip routine changed since you first started training your grip? My routine has changed a lot and continues to change. I try lots of new things to see what gives me the best results. But I used to over train a lot, when I first started I was doing crazy amounts of gripper volume with Heavy Negatives after watching some Joe Kinney videos. His program might work for others, but wasn’t for me. Not till I took my gripper volume way down and gave my hands some time to recover did I start to see some major increases in strength.

There seems to be a significant variation in the frequency of grip workouts among trainees. Have you experimented with workout frequency and it’s affect on your training?  Well I’ve experiment quite a bit. One thing I tried that worked for me was the easy strength program. Where I was doing the same exercise x5 days a week but not doing more then 10 reps per day, example is (2x5, 5,3,2, 6x1, 1x10 ) It was meant for olympic lifts but I experimented with the one hand axle DL and Hub actually and my max increased a considerable amount, at the time my 1 hand axle deadlift was 160 lbs and after the program i was at 198 lbs, my hub went from 60 lbs to 78 lbs. This was also when I was new to grip.

What are your favorite grip exercises? Thick Bar, Pinch lifts

What kind of starting routine would you recommend for a trainee new to grip training? I would recommend to slowly increase your grip training volume and intensity overtime. Start off with exercises and that carry over. And take your time, train safely and listen to your body and get in the habit of doing active rest and recover exercises.

Who do you most admire in gripdom? Kody burns always been someone I had admired. Every time I talk to him or hear about him he’s broken another world record. He is a grip freak of nature and is constantly surprising me.

If you were to start over again with your grip training, what would you do differently? If I could go back in time i’d start grip training from the first moment I started lifting weights. But if i could start all over I guess i wouldn’t of fallen off grippers when I did. I would of stuck on the road to Cert on the C.o.C #3. But now I’m back on and wont stop till I certify.

What do you believe is the most difficult grip exercise? I think if varies from person to person, I happen to be fairly decent on thick bar, pinch and hub, while other people might struggle at those. For me personally I feel like the stub and key pinch are by far my weakest and most difficult to get myself motivated to train. But to be well rounded to have to work on your weakest link, so i’ll continue to improve in all weak areas.

What are some of your personal bests in grip exercises? As of now 1HP 114lbs, 2HP 241, Lifting Andrew P.  Fatman York 50  (literally just got the other day, this particular blob I’ve only seen Jedd and Kody lift.) Lifting the 172 Inch DB

What do you believe is the most common mistake made by new grip trainees? not listening to their bodies. Recovering and proper nutrition is just as important if not more than just training to the point of mental and physical fatigue and injury. Build up intensity and training frequency over time.

What do you consider to be the greatest grip feats of all time? To clean and Press the Inch Dumbbell, CCS a #4, Lift the Millennium DB

Do you have any parting advice for readers? Just do what you love and enjoy, with integrity and hard work. Just know that small gains over a period of time equals out to be a lot.

jakesahlaney.thumb.jpg.ffba3c525f970d191

Jake Sahlaney, the 99th man in the world to close the Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1.