MM3 gripper question

Jeremy C.

From what i've read seems that the MM3 gripper is a beast. What gripper (rgc rating) should I be able to close before I

could close the mm3? 

I think someone should be closing 180-183 before signing up

2 minutes ago, Grind said:

The gap between the MM2/MM3 seem really big if compared to MM1/MM2 and MM3/MM4.

It is. Its the separator on the MM ladder. Getting by it is a big hurdle. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jeremy C. said:

From what i've read seems that the MM3 gripper is a beast. What gripper (rgc rating) should I be able to close before I

could close the mm3? 

What I would suggest is getting a GHP8, the rating around 178-179 and filing one of the handles. The main thing you want to consider is how easy or hard the close will be; when you can start closing that gripper like a joke (10mms reps) on command you would be ready.

23 minutes ago, John McCarter said:

What I would suggest is getting a GHP8, the rating around 178-179 and filing one of the handles. The main thing you want to consider is how easy or hard the close will be; when you can start closing that gripper like a joke (10mms reps) on command you would be ready.

People can do ten MMS reps on a filed ghp 8???

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I think someone should be closing 180-183 before signing up

Yes, this.  There are a few threads where opinions of the MM ratings were gathered.  This is pretty much the consensus for MM3 difficulty. 

40 minutes ago, Anthony C. said:

People can do ten MMS reps on a filed ghp 8???

I wonder if he meant easily closing the gripper from 10 mm. 

8 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I wonder if he meant easily closing the gripper from 10 mm. 

Nope, I mean from mms. Before I tried out the MM3, I was using only a GHP8 that I filed; rating was around 178-179 before I filed, so there was about 3-4 lbs added. When I was using it for reps, some days were easy and hard. When it felt like a joke is when I went for the MM3 and was surprised by the results.

I was doing some crazy reps back then (50-100 total)

Be closing a tough 180+ #3.5, SE, or ghp 8 solidly for sure before even bothering. 

Aaron

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John McCarter said:

Nope, I mean from mms. Before I tried out the MM3, I was using only a GHP8 that I filed; rating was around 178-179 before I filed, so there was about 3-4 lbs added. When I was using it for reps, some days were easy and hard. When it felt like a joke is when I went for the MM3 and was surprised by the results.

I was doing some crazy reps back then (50-100 total)

So let me get this straight, 1 set, 10 reps? You did that?

:bow

Let's never shake hands, kthnx.

• Like 1

Good info, now I have some idea what to expect.  I'll get me a 183 ish gripper

The MM3 has more bind at the close than any of the other MM grippers I think.  It stalled a lot of strong people.  Hammer the close before signing up, filed strapholds with the thinnest strap you can get.  I used a very thin piece of metal between the handles with a strap attached.

• Like 1

Excellent, I am revising my workout with every piece of info.   Looks like lots of overcrush work and strap holds. With it binding at close I like the thin metal and    pallet strap idea. Years ago I made some tools (secret weapon and parallel grip machine with 1/4" handles-ouch-but it works). This year is first time I've used them in 10 years. I haven't been this      excited about closing a gripper since I first started.

• Like 1

Be careful with lots of focus on overcrush, this is a real tendonkiller. Just sayin' 

5 hours ago, Geralt said:

Be careful with lots of focus on overcrush, this is a real tendonkiller. Just sayin' 

Good point, I've been trying to ease back into it for the last 2 months but I'll keep that in mind