who's the lightest person to lift the Blob 50

Evan Raftopoulos

On 2/28/2016 at 5:04 AM, Evan Raftopoulos said:

is that why you sold me your blob? :P  But 45 is no joke. I think I need to find me one to  bridge the gap

You can hang weights off your 45. works great as a way to progress. 

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:09 PM, Evan Raftopoulos said:

brother,  I don't see you posting here a lot and thank you for chiming in. It's very encouraging hearing you saying this. I'll keep you posted of my progress and keep up the good work too!

Evan, I'll race you  :chris:

I just picked up half an 85 fatman from Gil and can't wait to get to work on that.

• Like 1

When I first lifted the blob50 I was 145-150 depending on the day i weighed.  Now I'm a fatish 200.

• Like 2

Evan my hands are 7.5 as well.  Your revolving handle strength is inspirational.

With the blob, make a de-loader, It helps a ton.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2016 at 11:34 AM, Cannon said:

Evan, I'll race you  :chris:

I just picked up half an 85 fatman from Gil and can't wait to get to work on that.

it's on brother :) first to do it posts a vid in this thread or start a new one (or submit for feat judging) 

it might be in a month, two months, or a year, but one day it's going down!

19 hours ago, cemery said:

When I first lifted the blob50 I was 145-150 depending on the day i weighed.  Now I'm a fatish 200.

wow, nice bro, it's so encouraging hearing more people lifting it at light bodyweight. 

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cemery said:

Evan my hands are 7.5 as well.  Your revolving handle strength is inspirational.

With the blob, make a de-loader, It helps a ton.

thanks for reminding me that, I've tried it in the past only once and then forgot about it. I have some superbands that I can hang the blob from and train like that as well. And thank you for the comment on the revolving handles. There was a time that I used to take the crushers to the gym with me almost every day and train like crazy. 

8 hours ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

it's on brother :) first to do it posts a vid in this thread or start a new one (or submit for feat judging) 

it might be in a month, two months, or a year, but one day it's going down!

One thing that could be interesting is that I don't have a Blob.  I'm sure I could find someone to meet up with once I get confident with the 85 fatman plus weight.  I think that is arriving today, by the way.  :devil

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

One thing that could be interesting is that I don't have a Blob.  I'm sure I could find someone to meet up with once I get confident with the 85 fatman plus weight.  I think that is arriving today, by the way.  :devil

I have a few you can try when the time comes;  we're not that far from each other.

• Like 2

Bob Sundin and Derick Graybill, Both were very light to be lifting the blob.

• Like 2

@Cannon I have the one I got from you, what kind is that? My climbing gym has also the Blob50. I got from Gil a 32 one yesterday and I'm thinking of carrying it with me everywhere I go :tongue:devil

2 hours ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

@Cannon I have the one I got from you, what kind is that? My climbing gym has also the Blob50. I got from Gil a 32 one yesterday and I'm thinking of carrying it with me everywhere I go :tongue:devil

I've only ever owned a BLOB50 and then I found two 100# dumbbells on craigslist in Reno, NV and turned those into Blobs.  They were not fatmans.  So if yours doesn't say BLOB50 then it's one of those regular ones.

@Cannon

image.thumb.png.2293b1ba7c7f0f087c083971its the one on the left, is it supposed to be easier or harder than blob 50 ?( The edges are different)

Oh right. I never lifted it but suspect it's on par with a blob. Maybe SLIGHTLY easier because I think that's why I ever bought it. 

• Like 1

cool thanks! I'll play with the blob 50 at my climbing gym tomorrow and see how that one feels. Daniel Reinard hosted a few grip comps there a few years ago and I'm pretty sure that's why the blob is there now (along with some CoC grippers) . The other climbing gyms that I go to (Same company just different gyms /locations) don't have it. 

On ‎29‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 7:38 AM, Mikael Siversson said:

Everything would be larger Jedd, including the hands. Having said that I managed to one hand pinch lift 4x10 plates first try.

This post does not make any sense anymore once you remove bits from the last sentence.  Bit of a grey area from a legal point of view for a moderator to change the meaning of posts rather than simply remove them entirely.

On 3/5/2016 at 6:19 PM, Evan Raftopoulos said:

I'll play with the blob 50 at my climbing gym tomorrow and see how that one feels. 

so the blob 50 wasn't there yesterday :cry, I asked the people working there about it and nobody knew what happened to it. Bummer.

I remember reading in Jedd's website about a guy who lifted the blob with hands less than 7.5" but I can't recall if this guy was lightweight or not. Still very impressive. 

Check that video Evan, he lifts it from a weird spot on the bottom and I am guessing it may have been modified  (rougher texture?) In that area.

I like his technique, it looks like he was dragging it first until off the ground and then finished the job. 

haha I know right?

it also looks like he is not even using the index finger. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've done a 50lb legacy blob at 155-160lb bodyweight. After being inspired by Luke Raymond who seems to be able to curl anything he can pinch, I curled a 40lb hex at nationals 2014 after the event (competed at 74kg).

In my opinion, nobody can match Eric in a head to head grip competition at 74kg. 2HP numbers in particular are prone to vary from competition to competition due to different implements being used. Don't forget that there was also a medley at nationals when Eric did 74kg, and Eric smoked most of the feats.

The original comment to which I am responding was in the context of Eric breaking all the records, and I agree that some 74kg athletes outperform Eric at some lifts, e.g., hub and V-bar, but overall it is my judgment that the "hype" is justified. I would not be surprised to see Eric hold the record in something like 75% of lifts if he had the chance to compete them all at 74kg.

• Like 1