Making Circus Dumbbells I can't even grip

kodiak_strong

One of the biggest reasons I'm starting my grip game is because i made some circus dumbells that i have a hard time gripping. i made a few bells at 12.7 diamater with a 2.5 handle loadable. one is 167lbs and other at 151 mainly really heavy because i went half inch walls, and boy do i have trouble picking up the smaller bell. I can barely pick up 3-4 inches off the floor before i fail. do any of you guys train grip with circus dumbbells, inch bells? im thinking of making some smaller maybe 9-10 inch tube at a thinner gauge. 

gg.jpg

• Like 2

You left the bells open on the ends to load plates on the (Looks like 1" ) bar or pin? If so, that is damn slick... First time I have seen a DB like this. Excellent stuff

31 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

You left the bells open on the ends to load plates on the (Looks like 1" ) bar or pin? If so, that is damn slick... First time I have seen a DB like this. Excellent stuff

It's actually a 1.90 inch loading pin through a 2.5 handle. i do plan on adding covers to them, make them more slick. thanks man =D 

Id make a smaller diameter bell like you already have in mind and just work your way up. Though I don't recall circus bells having the same rotational difficulty inches do. Heaviest I've ever fooled around with was 160 and I could get it to the shoulder and that was about it. One handed was a definite no-go lol

2 hours ago, KapMan said:

Id make a smaller diameter bell like you already have in mind and just work your way up. Though I don't recall circus bells having the same rotational difficulty inches do. Heaviest I've ever fooled around with was 160 and I could get it to the shoulder and that was about it. One handed was a definite no-go lol

oh man, anything over 160 is quite the respect. I was able to press the 151 of course two hand assisted to my shoulder, from there the under handing over head isn't that bad. no go on the 167. yep, will be making something lighter to train grip. i just need some solid tube =D 

4 hours ago, kodiak_strong said:

oh man, anything over 160 is quite the respect. I was able to press the 151 of course two hand assisted to my shoulder, from there the under handing over head isn't that bad. no go on the 167. yep, will be making something lighter to train grip. i just need some solid tube =D 

The fact I got that thing up there was a surprise. Pressing it wasn't even going to happen. I mainly wanted to see if I can get it up there in position. 145 was my 2 rep max if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1