Interesting new grip machine

Tom Scibelli

Interesting for sure. I think it'd be to tough to keep it a purely grip event for contests though. 

• Like 1

that a sweet setup but you'll need a Rogue Rack to attach it too (or build something to hold it).  Which makes the price pretty high. 

I have only seen one grip machine that I think you can't cheat - and that's the one I made a few years ago.  But it needs redone to be competition ready - I only made the one prototype and it isn't a perfect 1 to 1 ratio of weight to resistance - I'd have to build another entire setup and I don't care enough to do that. 

• Like 2

This guy sure is straining without much wait on there at all. 70lbs on the pin....

plate-loaded-gripper-web1_2_.jpg

Edited by Jared Goguen

18 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

This guy sure is straining without much wait on there at all. 70lbs on the pin....

It's crossfit Jared... minimal 200 reps you know! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, slazbob said:

Looks like a "Pop's" on its side.

yea, it looks like a regular gripper machine but setup sideways.  I don't see any added benefit from that.

16 minutes ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

yea, it looks like a regular gripper machine but setup sideways.  I don't see any added benefit from that.

If anything it seems even easier cause you can lean back into it.

btw I didn't know that the standard gripper machine was popular in the 1960s and Bruce Lee made it popular as this guy is saying (or is he wrong?)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

btw I didn't know that the standard gripper machine was popular in the 1960s and Bruce Lee made it popular as this guy is saying (or is he wrong?)

Everything I've read leads back to bruce lee on the machine, but even then a think Mighty Joe or Mr Sorin might be more of an authority on that end of it. 

I know I had one similar to the "standard" machine in the mid to late 60s - grip machines are not at all a "new" thing - the gym I used while in the military had a couple "grip" oriented items.  I had a homemade grip machine in the very early 60s that my Grandfather and I made out of wood that used a barbell.  I get a kick out of all the "new" that people think they are discovering for the first time just because it's new to them.   It would be neat to have a book showing the history of strength training and the equipment used and when it was developed.  I think people would be quite surprised.

• Like 1

The Polish arm wrestling trainer Mazurenko has a different version of the horizontal grip machine. I saw it in use on his website about a year and a half ago. Stand alone. He also has the cool Chris Rice type wrist thingy attached to it :tongue  i guess you might can say the Horiaontal grip plate loader is not a new concept

43256d_6.png

Edited by Rick Browne

30 minutes ago, Rick Browne said:

The Polish arm wrestling trainer Mazurenko has a different version of the horizontal grip machine. I saw it in use on his website about a year and a half ago. Stand alone. He also has the cool Chris Rice type wrist thingy attached to it :tongue  i guess you might can say the Horiaontal grip plate loader is not a new concept

43256d_6.png

very neat machine. do you know if they sell these?

4 minutes ago, kodiak_strong said:

very neat machine. do you know if they sell these?

http://en.armpower.net/shop/category/handles-and-accessories-1.html  

This is the shop or the store index page.. on the right side off the screen, under categories, you will see the link to arm wrestling equipment. Be prepared for sticker shock, heh heh. I like looking at his innovative stuff and ways of training the arm. He has a training video section too. All in polish though. I do not arm wrestle, but I have picked up many arm wrestling training exercises that relieve curls boredom and works the lower arm and wrist using all kinds of movements

• Like 1

I have to say I like the concept but then again I get bored with grip focus training so not sure if I would utilize it. But I do own a Rogue Power Rack....decisions!!! Hmmm...what to do what to do.....

1 hour ago, Rick Browne said:
33 minutes ago, speedy said:

I have to say I like the concept but then again I get bored with grip focus training so not sure if I would utilize it. But I do own a Rogue Power Rack....decisions!!! Hmmm...what to do what to do.....

43256d_6.png

Beautiful Equipment but oh so complex. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rick Browne said:

http://en.armpower.net/shop/category/handles-and-accessories-1.html  

This is the shop or the store index page.. on the right side off the screen, under categories, you will see the link to arm wrestling equipment. Be prepared for sticker shock, heh heh. I like looking at his innovative stuff and ways of training the arm. He has a training video section too. All in polish though. I do not arm wrestle, but I have picked up many arm wrestling training exercises that relieve curls boredom and works the lower arm and wrist using all kinds of movements

as I anticipated, the price tags off the roof, lol. i do welding and i was intrigued but it's to complex, i like sticking to fat bars, lol. thanks for the link, i can get ideas too =D 

Wow. actually 405 isn't bad, but shipping would destroy your bank. You get two devices in one and its plate loadable if I had the wiggle room and gym space that wouldn't be a bad piece to have I think. Consolidation is why I say it. I also agree with the complexity of the device. But I'm sure someone on the board like Mr Rice could rig a simpler more affordable rig up if they were so inclined. 

Thank you for Sharing!!

the new Rogue machine looks interesting, yet a little expensive.  Upon checking it out online again today, I see Rogue is also selling something similar to the manus "hand yoga" extensor trainer.  I guess rogue sells it all...

3 minutes ago, James Fuller said:

Could make one of these, from an article by Gordon Venables in 1962.

VenablesGripper1962_zps3rhbh0ne.jpg

My Grandfather and I made one when that article first came out in S&H.  I mentioned it here not long ago I think.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, climber511 said:

My Grandfather and I made one when that article first came out in S&H.  I mentioned it here not long ago I think.

I have the plans for another wooden one from Ironman magazine back in 1956. It was plans for 20 pieces of weight equipment by Stephen Kazan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Fuller said:

I have the plans for another wooden one from Ironman magazine back in 1956. It was plans for 20 pieces of weight equipment by Stephen Kazan.

James - could you post those plans - or send them to me at least.

• Like 2