1. 1. IGC voting 2016-18 - please vote!

• David Horne (GB)
    • Jedd Johnson (USA
    • Ivan Beritashvili (Russia)
    • Aaron Corcorran (USA)
    • Eric Roussin (Canada)
    • Gil Goodman (USA)

From David Horne:

"Please all vote for the new members of the IGC (the tenure will last for two years, before we vote again).

This vote is on the gripboard and my forum, please just vote on one forum only. The vote will last for 7 days.

All the best to all, and thanks for putting your name forward."

Jedd I voted for 5 people but it then showed as if only one vote (the last one) had been cast.  Maybe you and Bill can check that out?

Yeah, I can't figure out how to allow the voter to choose 5.  @Wannagrip, any ideas?

By putting the vote on two forums, there is a chance someone will double vote even though they were instructed not to. I know we had voting problems one year. I believe the poll should only be in one place.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

By putting the vote on two forums, there is a chance someone will double vote even though they were instructed not to. I know we had voting problems one year. I believe the poll should only be in one place.

I agree with this.

• Like 1

Hi guys, Firstly the last few votes we have only voted for one person. But of course we could change to five, just need to know. Secondly there are folks on my forum who don't frequent here, and vice versa. So that is a tough one to sort out.

I believe one year someone solicited votes on social media and instructed their friends and family (who were not even involved in grip) to sign up on the board just to vote so they had a landslide of votes at the very end of the voting period. We can just instruct people on the other forum to come here to vote. it is extremely easy to set up a free account on the gripboard. They don't have to stay on this board after the vote

If there was a way to tie the votes back to someones account and verify they had been a member of either board for a certain period of time or number of posts both problems would be solved. 

Edited by Chez

There is always a risk that we may end up with a US dominated group if voting is only allowed on a US based site. I am pretty sure the percentage of Europeans on DH's site is higher than it is on the GB.

• Like 1

Chez, I understand and remember that. Unfortunately keeping this voting in the public domain, then this can always happen anyway. We haven't got many members on my forum, and I could do that. It still wouldn't stop this possibility happening as the person was a member of this forum.

Either we stay with a public vote, or we go to a panel vote which may be a good an idea?

By the way this is just me speaking.

I edited my post above to include this but just wanted to repeat in case someone didn't see it: 

If there was a way to tie the votes back to someones account and verify they had been a member of either board for a certain period of time or number of posts both problems would be solved. 

I honestly have no supreme perfect answer.

We want a fair result.

Ideally a spread across continents that have grip contests would be useful.

But you can only vote for whom puts themselves forward. Sometimes there is no work to do for months, then there is a rush (especially when we got round the table, and I wrote the IGC manual). This time we have only six who have stepped forward.

There are many grip contest promoters who do not frequent either of these two forums. But we try our best to create info for people to run a variety of grip contests in various formats. Honestly it's superb really; back in the 1990s you had one contest a year!! :)

I understand and I'm not trying to be a pain. I'm just trying to strengthen the voting system. If anything, Maybe this idea can be mulled over and instituted next time if deemed appropriate. I'm an attorney and internal auditor so I'm constantly thinking of ways to improve a process so people can't get around stuff. 

Edited by Chez

Better is always good. :)

Well here is a point I will bring to the public here, maybe if the IGC, or forums pick 20 people who are not IGC members to vote at the end of the tenure. The number can be any number really. Is that better?

42 minutes ago, David Horne said:

Better is always good. :)

Well here is a point I will bring to the public here, maybe if the IGC, or forums pick 20 people who are not IGC members to vote at the end of the tenure. The number can be any number really. Is that better?

Good idea. However, the number ideally should be an odd # not an even one

Like how senators cast electoral votes? 

I'm confused about what's going on.  I voted for 1 person above because that's all the poll allowed.

Just a thought ... couldn't we use a google form that had your details on and the 5 people you vote for? Crucial part would be their gripboard or other forum name to ensure all votes are genuine? 

14 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Like how senators cast electoral votes? 

I'm confused about what's going on.  I voted for 1 person above because that's all the poll allowed.

More like the Supreme Court.....to avoid tie votes

I would hold off voting here until they get the voting fixed. Apparently it is only capturing the last vote of whichever 5 you pick right now.

3 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Yeah, I can't figure out how to allow the voter to choose 5.  @Wannagrip, any ideas?

Not sure you can do that. I will look into it.

3 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I just looked. There is no such option for multiple picks.

1 minute ago, Wannagrip said:

I just looked. There is no such option for multiple picks.

At all?  There used to be.  But I think you have to stipulate that when you open the poll.  You might not be able to edit a poll to be that way. 

2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

At all?  There used to be.  But I think you have to stipulate that when you open the poll.  You might not be able to edit a poll to be that way. 

I looked in the admin panel and there was no options to turn off or on multiple votes.

I can ask for tech support and see though.

Guys, for the last two voting times, 2012 and 2014, we only voted for one person. Then obviously the top 5 are the 5 members voted for. 

I just don't see any other way, except what I mentioned previously. 

We have a contest tomorrow, so will be busy. 

@Sam Radford

1 hour ago, Sam Radford said:

Just a thought ... couldn't we use a google form that had your details on and the 5 people you vote for? Crucial part would be their gripboard or other forum name to ensure all votes are genuine? 

This might be a way to go.

• Like 1