Under the Spotlight - Grip Profile - Juha Harju

anwnate

Today's Grip Profile features Juha Harju. 

Juha's grip accomplishments are impressively numerous.  So numerous, in fact, that my hand needed a contrast bath after attempting to write them all down. ;)  Thankfully, the majority of his feats are listed (many with video links) on his bio page here.  http://www.gripmonsters.fi/JuhaHarju.php  While watching these videos, your brain says, "he can't lift that"…and yet he does.

If I may sum up…Juha's a beast. One might even call him a "Grip Monster." :)  He has incredible all-around grip strength, is near the apex of the mashmonster ladder, and has plate-pinching skill matched by only a handful of men in the history of strength.  He is responsible for the fire-like spread of Gripsport in Finland and Scandinavia.  His enthusiasm and videos have inspired many gripsters worldwide.

If that's not enough, he's a genuinely nice person.  Whether on The Gripboard or social media, he has availed himself to gripsters from all parts of the world, all the while pushing the boundaries of what was thought possible.  I haven't yet had the pleasure of meeting this man in person…but his visage hangs on my gym wall.  A while back, I had contacted Juha and he was kind enough to email some photos of him doing crazy elite feats.  As an added bonus, he had somehow autographed them for me.  Sweet!  Sometimes just seeing someone do something…makes it that much easier for the next person attempting it.  Juha is one of the many gripsters that I have drawn inspiration from.  I'm very pleased he decided to participate in this profile.  Without further ado…

Juha profile pic.png

7 questions to get to know Juha.

1.  What are your stats?  Gripboard Name, Age, Height (inches/meters), Weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (cm/in), Country/City (or region … whatever you are comfortable with), Relationship Status, Kids?, Occupation ("international spy" is acceptable) 

Gripboard Name: Juha Harju

Height:  177cm (5' 9 5/8")

Weight 121kg (267lbs)

Dominant hand size: Right:  20.5cm (8") (Left: also 8")

My right hand´s power and technique is built especially for closing heavy MM-Set grippers and lifting all pinch things around  48mm-60mm.

I like to do wide pinch 60mm and over, INCH lifts, all thick bar lifts, grip-topz etc with my left hand.

Relationship Status: My girlfriend is Yvonne Häkkinen

Kids: I have two children, Julia Harju (18yo) and Pyry Harju (16yo).  My kids have also trained grip and they competed in year 2011 at World´s Strongest Hands contest.  I taught them how to close grippers.  Both Julia and Pyry closed the Ironmind Trainer gripper many years ago.  I hope they will do come back and will follow in their father´s footsteps. :)

Occupation: I´m a licensed Fitness Academy Finland Personal Trainer.  I graduated in 2004.  (The F.A.F. is a prestigious personal training school.)

My main job is to help powerlifters and strongmen with their grip problems.  I also coach many other people with their grip, from grip rookies to ordinary exercisers. In addition, each year I organize all of the biggest grip contests in Finland, including The Finnish Grip Strength Nationals.

2.  Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)? 

In 2007, I was with my  friends at Finland´s biggest  Power Fitness Expo.  It was in Lahti, Finland.  There I witnessed Teemu Ilvesniemi's Coc#3 certification on the stage.  It made a strong impression on me and I thought, "I want to do that".  At that time I didn't know anythingof grip sport.

I then met Teemu, Matti Heiskanen, Niko Eerola and Tomi Kujala.  They advised me on how to start training grip sport.  I acquired the necessary tools and I started practicing.  So in retrospect…I think I'm not particularly talented in grip but that I'm all-around strong.   I've always like to train hard and with determination.

In  2008, I certified on Ironmind's Captian of Crush #3.   I then won Finland's first official Finnish Grip Championships and Rolling Thunder Finnish Championship.   After that, I was invited to Finland's best athlete team, Team Voimaharjoittelu (Team Strength training).  Soon,  I got the dietary supplement sponsorship and other needed backing.   Thanks goes out to Sakari Selkäinaho.   I continued my training and competing.

At the same time, I wanted to create grip contests and events…to take Finland's grip sport to international level.   I got help from Grip Legend David Horne and other international contest organizers.  This is how Grip Monsters sprang to life.   We bought all the grip tools needed and started to arrange international competitions in Finland.   These were the first steps.

With official weight classes and rules, official (NAGS) World record results and official lifters ranking system,  Finland's competition level has risen a lot.  Over the years, we have gained a lot of new competitors and ball is still rolling.

I have competed and trained grip sport now about 9 years.  I´m luckily…because of my successes in competitions, I have received invitations overseas where I got to compete also.

3.  Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals? 

Hard to say. Guys like (Bob Sundin, Kody Burns, Jedd Johnson) seems to be completely unstoppable.   If you do something great today, tomorrow they are coming after you!   Haha.  Let´s hope that this year, I still have something special to offer. ;)

4.  How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training? 

I don´t want to analyze just exactly how I train but here is something.

I train 5-6 days at week. It´s good to do rolling handles, thick bars, axle and their assistance exercises at the same day when you do your squat, deadlift or good mornings. Grippers, pinch, sledge movements etc works good with your upper body training day.  Training with stronger dudes than yourself can be helpful.  Negative people and their supporters… thankfully have their own clubs. ;)

5.  What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

I enjoy horror movies and different T.V. series ( like The Sopranos).

6.  Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

I want to tell you that grip is very popular here in Finland.

Almost every day people stops me at the street, shops, gym etc and ask how to train grip or "is it ok to shake your hand".  When I was in Russia (competing and judging), local people said, "The GripMonster is here!"   They took lot of photos and asked my autograph. It was cool! 

People like my Youtube channel and give me ideas on what to film.  For example…they want to see how to crush potatoes and apples with a bare hand or how to lift huge concrete slabs. Just for fun!

7.  Who's Grip profile would you like to see next?

Nat, as you know…I like all-around strong dudes. Chad Woodall is definitely one of them. A long time ago, when I was starting my grip career, I saw Chad´s grip stuff on Youtube. His 3x15kg one hand pinch, thick bar pulls and aggressive attitude to lifting was amazing! Chad´s Mash Monster 6 cert (2009) video was epic!  He totally killed MM6 gripper and shouts out, "that´s twice…how many more!?"  Watching that video made me realize I really want to do this with that same attitude.

Thanks Juha.  Chad will be profiled in two weeks.  This series will return next Wednesday with Jared Goguen. 

(If you want to know more about  Juha and his training, it can be found here.  http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?/topic/41909-juha-harju-is-in-the-well/ )

• Like 18

Great interview! One of the guys I look up to in grip!

• Like 2

Who is this guy?  Never heard of him before...

• Like 5

This was so fun to read!!! That would be so awesome if Gripsport was so popular in America that when a Gripster walked down the street people shouted. I wish I lived in Finland and could train with you. It all sounds fantastic!!!!! Looking forward to your next accomplishment!!:bow

• Like 3

Cheers!

English is difficult language but I did my best. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for writing this! Nice read too!!

• Like 1

Liked the interview!

• Like 1

Interesting read, Juha!! Chad - great choice!

• Like 1