More Effective Grip Training With Full Body Warm-Up

Jedd Johnson

One of the things that's become pretty apparent over my years of coaching people is that most do not warm up properly prior to training.

In many cases, I've been told by clients that they usually just grab a couple light grippers, do a few reps, and that's it for warm-ups.

Some people don't even do that. They just grab their working grippers and start squeezing.

While the minority may get along fine with that approach, I can pretty much guarantee you that if you warm up properly before your training session, you will see better results, less injuries, and improved longevity with your progress.

I shot a video of the warm-up I've done for close to 10 years. Anyone whose competed with me has seen me do this prior to contests, and sometimes multiple times, if there are long inactive periods.

Give this or something similar a try with your training. It's gonna help you in your training.

All the best,

Jedd

P.S. Be sure to subscribe to my channel.

• Like 5

Yes for sure the central nervous system needs to be alert, makes such a huge difference!

Once I increased 5 kg's on a dynamo only by doing squats, compared to only doing warmup with light grippers.

Edited by Fist of Fury
  • Like 1

One of the things that's become pretty apparent over my years of coaching people is that most do not warm up properly prior to training.

In many cases, I've been told by clients that they usually just grab a couple light grippers, do a few reps, and that's it for warm-ups.

Some people don't even do that. They just grab their working grippers and start squeezing.

While the minority may get along fine with that approach, I can pretty much guarantee you that if you warm up properly before your training session, you will see better results, less injuries, and improved longevity with your progress.

I shot a video of the warm-up I've done for close to 10 years. Anyone whose competed with me has seen me do this prior to contests, and sometimes multiple times, if there are long inactive periods.

Give this or something similar a try with your training. It's gonna help you in your training.

All the best,

Jedd

P.S. Be sure to subscribe to my channel.

Strange - I've never seen you warm up before a comp. I was always too busy .................warming up :).

Yeah, I've never seen you warm up either. I'm usually on a foam roller on the floor dodging the feet of people who are walking over and around me!

Tried your warm up yesterday night before my squat/blob session...Hip mobility was greatly improved compared to my normal "warm-up"...Good stuff.

My warmups usually consist of a few lighter weight attempts at whatever I plan on doing, but last night I tried yours out and hit several PRs.

3 hours ago, acromegaman said:

My warmups usually consist of a few lighter weight attempts at whatever I plan on doing, but last night I tried yours out and hit several PRs.

Glad to hear it.

9 hours ago, DW85 said:

Tried your warm up yesterday night before my squat/blob session...Hip mobility was greatly improved compared to my normal "warm-up"...Good stuff.

Excellent bro.

I did this, this morning and just doing it to do is a wonderful thing. I felt better in general. Thank you for sharing! I will be doing this more often along with my band warmups. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great vid Jedd & thanks for sharing!

I do something very similar along with sledgehammer finger walks for the hand warmup.  I remember Kody doing them between pinch attempts at gripmas one year... awesome exercise.