Glob Trainer

Evan Raftopoulos

Is anyone selling these? I tried one at Daniel R's house a few months ago and felt really good especially for improving pinky strength.

I believe this was it

It's an ore grinding ball with a ring welded to it.

• Like 2

Any idea on the diameter? Or I guess circumference is an easier, direct measurement

This more like a ball grip. David Horne Sells glob tops, but those are different (see pic).

post-22763-0-01117600-1454833745_thumb.j

Edited by Royz

Any idea on the diameter? Or I guess circumference is an easier, direct measurement

as Daniel mentions in the vid it's just a bit smaller than a glob. The glob based on Jedd's vid is about 19 and 3/4 " circumference and a bit under 6" diameter

Sorinex sells 4 inch diameter "hand grenades" which are effectively the same thing.

I've seen those before but are not the same thing, they are smaller, a lot lighter and different material. I have the large-bombs by atomik which are 4.5" in diameter but they don't feel as good as the globe trainer from what I remember.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

This more like a ball grip. David Horne Sells glob tops, but those are different (see pic).

yea those are cool but different.

anyone here has an actual glob?

• Like 1

This got me an idea. You can buy hollow stainless steel spheres with a M10 thread. http://www.rvsland.nl/kogel-hol-150mm

The shell is 3mm thick, I would think strong enough for gripwork and only weighs about 0,8kg.

You think this should work?

• Like 1

a quick internet search

hollow steel spheres

kingmetals.com (there are other companies)

shop by category

balls-hemispheres-metal

hollow steel spheres-balls

6" outside diameter 0.118" (1/8")(3mm) thick steel, weight 3 lb.

$19.54 13-60-HBL

I have a 5" diameter, 15-3/4" circumstance, 16 lb. shotput

a 6" diameter ball would be very large

• Like 1

I was a text away from picking up two full 50lb globe dumbbells for $75 on craigslist a few weeks ago but the guy decided to keep them.

I'd love to buy a glob trainer, but I don't know what the proper width to buy is, so I have avoided it thus far. Hand size is also obviously going to be an overwhelmingly important factor in the lift, which is another thing that has kept me from pursuing it.

yea those are cool but different.

anyone here has an actual glob?

Yah...a number of us do. I currently have a half 65 and a half 75 (which I've only hopped) that is crazy wide.

• Like 1

that's why the glob trainer is so cool, at least the one I tried, it's lighter and maybe a bit smaller. That open hand position felt so good. I think it will have a lot of carryover to bouldering, blob lifting and even closing grippers just because you can really feel the 4-5 fingers working hard.

that's why the glob trainer is so cool, at least the one I tried, it's lighter and maybe a bit smaller. That open hand position felt so good. I think it will have a lot of carryover to bouldering, blob lifting and even closing grippers just because you can really feel the 4-5 fingers working hard.

I had zero problems with the original Glob (half60 at Jedd's) and the half 65 also.

I ascribe this to all the IDL work I did with hex dumbbells (and handsize of course...8 3/8").

If you can't find a glob trainer...I'd definitely give inverted dumbbell lifts a try.

It actuates the same type of grip.

Additionally...it's incredibly easy to microload the suckers with just about anything (mag weights, an ankle weight around the handle, etc) in between the two ends.

That's how I moved from the 50 IDL to the 60.

• Like 2

I'd suggest maybe trying one of FBBC's bombs if you have the money, they make them using shotputs. Might work well in that regard. I tried a couple of globs at the southern squeeze and it was tough I think I nailed a 25# :glare:

• Like 1

that looks like a good glob trainer, I remember seeing it before but forgot about it, thanks!

http://www.fatbastardbarbellco.com/BOMB.html

No problem, I also made one out of a softball. I haven't put much weight on it seeing as its just a eyelet screw and I'm sure anything over 50 pounds will destroy it. So I might just grab one of these in the future seeing as globs are hard to come by.

How wide are the bombs?

I think it depends on what size/wt you want. It looks like these are custom made which is awesome. You can always ask Andrew on here, I was gonna ask but I've been bugging him too much lately :P

I just got my Glob trainers in. They are hollow stainless steel balls with a M10 thread in them. They are made as an ornament for steel fences. 
They feel very sturdy. Maybe I will upgrade the surface (add texture) in the future. 

12cm/4,7inch l 650gram/1lb 6.9oz
15cm/5,9inch l 950gram/2lb 1.5oz

56bc8718d2c71_Globtrainer1215cm.jpg.34a956bc870988009_GlobM10screwrings.jpg.0b6456bc87244beca_GlobM10screwringsdetail.jp

Handling 15cm glob

Handling 12cm glob

• Like 4

On 2/11/2016 at 8:07 AM, Grind said:

I just got my Glob trainers in. They are hollow stainless steel balls with a M10 thread in them. They are made as an ornament for steel fences. 
They feel very sturdy. Maybe I will upgrade the surface (add texture) in the future. 

56bc8718d2c71_Globtrainer1215cm.jpg.34a956bc870988009_GlobM10screwrings.jpg.0b6456bc87244beca_GlobM10screwringsdetail.jp

Handling 15cm glob

Handling 12cm glob

These look pretty sweet! I'm eager to see how they perform. Please keep us updated.

Edited by KapMan

• 3 months later...
On February 10, 2016 at 8:07 AM, Grind said:

Glob trainer 12 & 15cm.jpgGlob M10 screw rings.jpgGlob M10 screw rings detail.jpg

Handling 15cm glob

Handling 12cm glob

Can you provide link where you purchased them?  I don't see them being sold with the bolt.  How's your training with them?

31 minutes ago, MRabich said:

Can you provide link where you purchased them?  I don't see them being sold with the bolt.  How's your training with them?

I posted the link in a post above, quoted it for you below.

On 6 februari 2016 at 11:06 AM, Grind said:

This got me an idea. You can buy hollow stainless steel spheres with a M10 thread. http://www.rvsland.nl/kogel-hol-150mm

The shell is 3mm thick, I would think strong enough for gripwork and only weighs about 0,8kg.

You think this should work?

https://www.rvsland.nl/oogmoeren-oogbouten

Keep in mind that I live in Europe and these are bought in the Netherlands. 
Haven't used them because I still have an injury. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12 februari 2016 at 5:05 PM, KapMan said:

These look pretty sweet! I'm eager to see how they perform. Please keep us updated.

On 20 mei 2016 at 7:34 AM, MRabich said:

My hands are healing slowly so I tried them yesterday. Lifted about 7,8kg / 17,5lb on the big Glob 15cm/5,9inch. They are very sleek and don't hold chalk. To much chalk and the slip out of your hands. 

• Like 1

I have a 16 lb shotput i can lift it and toss it from hand to hand, anything much wider be impossible for me.  At SJ3 Nate had spheres for the medley, i did not see anyone attempt them.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I lifted about 25lb/11,5kg on my very sleek 15cm/5,9inch stainless steel glob. Really like them. 

• Like 2