Plates For Pinching

Fist of Fury

So I've been looking for some plates to start pinching with but I can't afford Eleiko plates at the moment. I just found steel plates that strength shop sells, has anyone tried them, are they any good for pinch training?

Sure - it's training - use whatever you have. Weight - width - texture and "fit" are the only variables. Very few of us have Eleiko or Ivanko plates.

• Like 1

Sure - it's training - use whatever you have. Weight - width - texture and "fit" are the only variables. Very few of us have Eleiko or Ivanko plates.

Okay, it was mostly the texture that was my concern, how important is chalk, will it be much more difficult if it can't hold chalk well? I really don't know anything about pinching, just starting out.

Okay, it was mostly the texture that was my concern, how important is chalk, will it be much more difficult if it can't hold chalk well? I really don't know anything about pinching, just starting out.

Clean the plates well to get all the finger grease etc off them - round the edges of the ones that will be outside - and arrange them so they fit together as flat as possible. Then use whatever amount of chalk feels the best to you - this will depend on the texture of the plates you have. Sometimes very slick plates feel best with no chalk. Experiment - friction lifts of all kinds vary.

• Like 1

So I've been looking for some plates to start pinching with but I can't afford Eleiko plates at the moment. I just found steel plates that strength shop sells, has anyone tried them, are they any good for pinch training?

Great to see that you are starting pinching man. How much are you willing to spend on plates? I 'm wondering if it will easier and cheaper for you in the long run to get a pinch grip device instead that you can load with wts.

Great to see that you are starting pinching man. How much are you willing to spend on plates? I 'm wondering if it will easier and cheaper for you in the long run to get a pinch grip device instead that you can load with wts.

Yes it's probably cheaper but I need plates for deadlifts also. I only have bumper plates right now and I'm starting to get too strong to use them :D

I see, once you start pinching and get more into it I see you getting a pinch training device too. Once I got into it I couldn't stop getting more pinch stuff and I'm always looking for more to add variability to my pinch training! :)

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

I hope you're right Evan. My pinch really sucks, but to be fair I've never tried different widths, I've only tried quite narrow pinch and as far as I understand that can be very difficult.

I hope you're right Evan. My pinch really sucks, but to be fair I've never tried different widths, I've only tried quite narrow pinch and as far as I understand that can be very difficult.

What are your goals? Is it plate pinches with 2x35 - 2x45 -5x10 -3x25 etc? Lift the Blob - big Euro pinch etc? What you want will dictate what you need.

I agree completely ...those are the 4 variables...Also, I have brand new eleiko plates and they are "texture" wise way too slick...pinching 5 (5kilo) plates is like pinching a block of soft butter, its that slippery smh

• Like 1

What are your goals? Is it plate pinches with 2x35 - 2x45 -5x10 -3x25 etc? Lift the Blob - big Euro pinch etc? What you want will dictate what you need.

My goals are just having fun (thats the only goal I really have with training) and trying out new stuff and see if I like it. Also as I said, to add more weight to my olympic bar :)

Nah I'm in Sweden. So shipping for Eleiko plates are free, unfortunately they are quite expensive but I will buy the complete set when I can afford it :)

Nah I'm in Sweden. So shipping for Eleiko plates are free, unfortunately they are quite expensive but I will buy the complete set when I can afford it :)

Oh ok, yeah those plates are sooo expensive. Are there any sites in Sweden where peaople sell used sporting goods etc? Frequenting those kind of sites you can potentially strike some serious deals.

Oh ok, yeah those plates are sooo expensive. Are there any sites in Sweden where peaople sell used sporting goods etc? Frequenting those kind of sites you can potentially strike some serious deals.

Not that I know of. We have like one big site but it's not a good site IMO. It's not a big country, market is small here.

I've found Eleiko plates to a decent price, actually the difference between the 25kg plates stength shop sells and the Eleiko 25kg is not that big. Difference on the 10kg and 15kg are very big though.

Edited by Fist of Fury

• 1 month later...

I would try going to a thrift store I've bought some very good plates there currently my favorite plate 

is the 45 lb. BFCO plate for hub lifting