Homemade Adjustable Inch

Jeremy C.

At Southern Squeeze I tried (unsuccessfully) to lift an Inch dumbbell for the first time, I was instantly hooked. So I came home and made an adjustable inch. I had some weights and my friend had some tools so I made it functional and affordable.

Local welder gave me 2.5" dia rod, so we cut, drill, tap, and put it all together. pic is about 120 lbs.

post-7667-0-65273500-1453998203_thumb.jppost-7667-0-67419400-1453998225_thumb.jppost-7667-0-23568800-1453998249_thumb.jppost-7667-0-58810000-1453998265_thumb.jppost-7667-0-13865500-1453998282_thumb.jppost-7667-0-30171400-1453998293_thumb.jp
Edited by Jeremy C.
  • Like 5

So do the plates lock in place? That's a key aspect of the inch, is that the plates don't rotate apart from the handle.

At Southern Squeeze I tried (unsuccessfully) to lift an Inch dumbbell for the first time, I was instantly hooked. So I came home and made an adjustable inch. I had some weights and my friend had some tools so I made it functional and affordable.

Local welder gave me 2.5" dia rod, so we cut, drill, tap, and put it all together. pic is about 120 lbs.

Pretty cool, Jeremy. I'm sure you'll be adding more plates to that on a regular basis. The inch is going down.

Badass, I need to get a trainer myself. I couldn't even crack it off the floor. What a humbling implement. I just lack the standard plating..

So do the plates lock in place? That's a key aspect of the inch, is that the plates don't rotate apart from the handle.

Good point, yes, I made the sleeve a little shorter so the bolt and handle are squeezing the weights and not the sleeve, i tried and couldn't force the handle or weights to spin.

Any plans to overhead press that? I wasn't willing to go with less than a 1" bolt for that reason.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=44606#entry653630

no plans for overhead press, if I get to that point i'll upgrade.

Pretty cool, Jeremy. I'm sure you'll be adding more plates to that on a regular basis. The inch is going down.

Thanks Gil

• Like 1

Badass, I need to get a trainer myself. I couldn't even crack it off the floor. What a humbling implement. I just lack the standard plating..

Thanks Shawn, I had most of the plates but picked up a few used ones at play-it-again sports.

Dude that's awesome. You should reorganize teh plates into a general globe shape. Like the tallest ones in the middle and the shorter ones on either side. I know it totally doesn't matter, I just think it would look sweet.

• Like 1

Dude that's awesome. You should reorganize teh plates into a general globe shape. Like the tallest ones in the middle and the shorter ones on either side. I know it totally doesn't matter, I just think it would look sweet.

good idea, that would look cool.

Awesome job! A little more work and mine will also be ready for lift off :)

Nice, post some pics when you get it done

attachicon.gifIMG_2540.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2554.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2555.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2556.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2557.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_2559.JPG

Amazing!!!!

Damn! I think you might be Glaser than you think since your handle is is 2.5". Good lift! I finished mine.

post-22852-0-00586000-1454127210_thumb.j

They are made from solid plastic. Just temporary until I can get the funds up for a steel set.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30 januari 2016 at 5:15 AM, acromegaman said:

Damn! I think you might be Glaser than you think since your handle is is 2.5". Good lift! I finished mine.

post-22852-0-00586000-1454127210_thumb.j

I see you used a long thread instead of bolts. Aren't you afraid you will damage the thread when you're loading and deloading the dumbbell with steel plates? Or are you also using a sleeve that fits on the thread?

No I don't have a sleeve but those threaded rods are pretty stout and I don't plan on taking the plates off very often anyways. They are also not permanent so if I wanted to remove them and put them both in their place I could do that if I needed to

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, acromegaman said:

No I don't have a sleeve but those threaded rods are pretty stout and I don't plan on taking the plates off very often anyways. They are also not permanent so if I wanted to remove them and put some bolts in their place I could do that if I needed to.

Corrected.

• 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Jeremy C. said:

Cool, looks good.  Do you have spacers over some threaded rod?

Yeah they are from aluminium. The thread is 24mm diameter but I use 30mm plates. So the spacers are 30x3mm so the plates will fit. 

• Like 1