Double Overhand Axle Deadlift World Record

BillyBrothers

Ive seen videos of mike Burke knocking out a 523 doh axle deadlift in competition at what I believe was the Viking vice grip challenge back in 2013. My question is why when I go onto gripsport.org they have the all time set at 475 by Andrew duriant?

Ive seen videos of mike Burke knocking out a 523 doh axle deadlift in competition at what I believe was the Viking vice grip challenge back in 2013. My question is why when I go onto gripsport.org they have the all time set at 475 by Andrew duriant?

They are different records. Mike Burke has IronMinds record not the NAGS record

• Like 1

Gripsport requires the event to be a 4 lift event. The contest Burke did his pull they did last man standing per Ironmind rules. It's the multi federation/orgs going on.

If you look at the 2" v-bar on FBBC Adam Glass has the record at 350 but Kody Burns has the NAGS record at 315. FBBC counts gym lifts and NAGS only allows sanctioned contests.

• Like 2

Another reason is we asked for records from other competitions to be sent to us so they could be entered, and some older contests were not sent in. We can only do so much. Rich Williams' did 501 in a comp at Sorinex several years ago, but we were never sent the results to enter them.

I certainly hope that lift by Mike is never recognised as a WR within the NAGS. Extremely impressive effort by Mike but it was far from a clean unquestionable lift. No control of the bar at 'lockout'. He immediately lowered the weight as it was obviously in the process of rolling out of his hands.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Andreas Brixa will take the record in 2016. His attempt last year was very close imo.

• Like 1

"Records" can only be set within a particular organization's sanctioned competitions. Nowhere I am aware of does it work any other way. Power Lifting is famous for this - many organizations with separate records.

• Like 1

I certainly hope that lift by Mike is never recognised as a WR within the NAGS. Extremely impressive effort by Mike but it was far from a clean unquestionable lift. No control of the bar at 'lockout'. He immediately lowered the weight as it was obviously in the process of rolling out of his hands.

It can't be, because the contest wasn't sanctioned.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I never noticed any difference in 'grippiness' on my IM axle. Was about as 'easy' new as it is now. Its not a friction lift for me at all.

Once we lifted on a rusty axle at the nats with no chalk seasoning on it. Everyone lost up to 15kgs on it! The rust was slick as hell!

I keep my personal Axle clean. I lift about the same either way but a tiny bit more when it's clean. Like Mikael I don't see it as a friction lift really - a tiny bit on the thumb is all.

From what I have seen the top axle lifters of all time are Rich Williams and Mike Burke. I witnessed along with many others the very clean 501 done by Rich in a multi event 5 + competitor, 3 judge ,competition with all implements weighed and using a fresh Ironmind axle.I saw him in training have the ability to casually pull 540 almost to lockout. Mike is an absolute monster grip guy. I don't know about his last most present record legality but he has ALL the power needed to be the best.

By far the strongest pound for pound lift ,and obvious power, by stirring( I was judging at Arnold's stage) a 300 lb 3" handle dumbbell off the ground. Many of the greatest grippers were there and ONLY Andrew moved it. His 470 record is truly a fantastic lift however it is considered. History holds the facts and truth will always prevail.

• Like 1

From what I have seen the top axle lifters of all time are Rich Williams and Mike Burke. I witnessed along with many others the very clean 501 done by Rich in a multi event 5 + competitor, 3 judge ,competition with all implements weighed and using a fresh Ironmind axle.I saw him in training have the ability to casually pull 540 almost to lockout. Mike is an absolute monster grip guy. I don't know about his last most present record legality but he has ALL the power needed to be the best.

By far the strongest pound for pound lift ,and obvious power, by stirring( I was judging at Arnold's stage) a 300 lb 3" handle dumbbell off the ground. Many of the greatest grippers were there and ONLY Andrew moved it. His 470 record is truly a fantastic lift however it is considered. History holds the facts and truth will always prevail.

Brian Shaw if you not tried axle?

I seen the video, the old, it is not less than 5 years, where Brian Shaw lift 500 pounds axle. Unfortunately, I can not find now is a video, it had a strange name.

I believe that the Shaw can now be more lift. He has a lot of potential. Maybe 530, maybe even 550 pounds.

I also am curious to this. I remember Shaw outlifted Tex and Rich in the big bell forgot its name

Yeah I've that video recently as well he pulled it back in 2008 500lbs on an axle clean as hell. 7 years later id bet he could pull monstrous numbers. On a podcast he talked about pulling 843 on an axle mixed grip of course but still pulling 800+ is crazy to think about. I also saw a video of Brian 1 hand cleaning a 205lb thick handled dumbbell as part of a warm up for worlds.

Riches lift was clean, as for burke, he can do a bit over 500lb, like 512-515lb or something alike but none of the lifts i've seen were good lifts by any respectable judge to be fair. The 507lb he had but then let go of it and the second rep was dodgy, wouldnt have given it / the others were worse.

Shaw did four 45lb plus a 25lb each side for 3 good reps but the 5 45lb a side (probably 495lb) he was droping an didnt fully lock. He's crazy strong one handed on the thick handle dumbbells and blobs but i dont think his off hand is as strong. Also think with these guys they tend to be better as things get wider/thick due to the massive hands so an axle wont benefit them as much as circus bells or blobs.

These guys are monsters at certain things but david horne over these guys in any proper all around comp for sure i have to say, he shown video of good air on 190kg thumbless axle recently and he wont be peaked for comp yet. Hands are less than 8 inches long too i think. The John Brzenk of grip!

Edited by Paul Savage

Tommy mentioned Chris James in an earlier post...and if I remember correctly he has done 530 + lbs unofficially.

Mike Burke on the Axle...

January, 2013 in Los Angeles. His 507 world record was easier than his opening lift. His second world record that day, for 516 pounds, according to my notes, was "easy".

I am not talking about that January 2014 world record that has been described and shown many times. The 507 and 516 World Records, which no one has duplicated in any contest, were good solid lifts by anyone's judgment.

For more details, see the article I wrote that is in the June 2013 issue of MILO.

Paul, I think I would disagree with that statement if you, say, picked the three 'big' events; 20mm block set grippers, Euro 2HP and axle deadlift. Mike Burke would beat DH with a considerable margin in axle and most likely win grippers as well. It is questionable if David would then take the 2HP with a margin big enough to reel him in. Pound-for-pound David is in a different league though, no doubt.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Tommy mentioned Chris James in an earlier post...and if I remember correctly he has done 530 + lbs unofficially.

I would always trust any feat claimed by Chris James, a very strong man, an outstanding thick bar man. Even though Mike Burke has the IronMind-recognized World Record, I don't doubt Chris could give Mike a run for his money in a thick bar contest.

• Like 1

Still we would need to have James' axle strength fully confirmed in a proper grip contest using an IronMind axle. I recall a discussion between David Horne and James (as mentioned by David) where James implied he was doing 1HP with closer to 60k on some fixed implement. At the end of day, in a controlled environment (one of DH's grip comps), James ended up with a very modest 2HP on the Euro (80k something).

Paul, I think I would disagree with that statement if you, say, picked the three 'big' events; 20mm block set grippers, Euro 2HP and axle deadlift. Mike Burke would beat DH with a considerable margin in axle and most likely win grippers as well. It is questionable if David would then take the 2HP with a margin big enough to reel him in. Pound-for-pound David is in a different league though, no doubt.

That's not really a contest but david would still win to be honest, he's up near #4 level with grippers 20mm peaked now, has worked on his gripper strength, an if he's getting good air with 190kg unpeaked thumbless axle theres no way burkes beating him by a good margin with thumb over on contest day, thumbless is a lot harder. Pinch obviously david wins. Then add more events and david goes further and further ahead, there's almost nothing he isnt great at. Greatest grip competitor of all time without a doubt.