Dhwog Meat Hooks

Tom Scibelli

I was looking at these and wondering, for anyone that has used them, do you feel they are a test of crushing grip strength or wrist strength or something else?

Pain tolerance and skin toughness. It's one of the more painful events I've ever done

• Like 2

Can you link? Is that spelled right?

I'm surprised I couldn't find these even by searching for the exact name.

"David Horne World of Grip"

• Like 1

They look really thin... Like 18mm or something, he has no spec on his site.

Pain tolerance and skin toughness. It's one of the more painful events I've ever done

Kind of like a giant GripTopz stub lift w/ both hands. No interest here.

I only ever touched them at this year's World Strongest Hands but personally I do not see any practical reason to use the Meat Hooks for training.

They do not test muscle and tendons as much as they tear up your hands.

I might still be new to grip, but IMHO skip meat hooks. Theyre are much more valuable things to spend your time with.

This is vertical support grip, or ulnar deviated support, as in vertical bar lifting, more than anything else, and it's very specific to itself. I'd say there's a use for people like firemen who might have to pull long lengths of rope, but as far as a benefit from the meat hooks to deadlifts, grippers, or anything like that, not so much. And like others have said, they will rip your hands up bad, especially if you've never used them and then try to lift your heaviest at a competition.

• Like 2

Used them a few years ago at Garage Night after the Arnold at Doc's place - only remember the pain - Ouch!

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I was thinking about running it at a contest, but think I'll go with something else

Interesting..

How do they hurt the hands tho?...

Friction. They rip out of your hands if your grip slips, often taking skin. Kind of like sliding down a rope you're trying to climb.

I'd love to test them if anyone is selling them.

David Horne sells them.

yea I saw that but I think I'll wait until next time we do a group order again to save in shipping.

• 2 months later...

I was just going through my old emails and I read what Elizabeth Horne told me about the Meat Hooks.  I do not think she would mind me putting this on the forum:

As for training, David uses them for pull ups – they tore his skin up on the heavy lifts but give a good grip work out on the bodyweight exercise.

I share this as maybe there are other practical uses then I was exposed to via the WSH2015.
rich

• Like 1