up to 1x1 @ New Red Nail in 1-1/3 IMPs

Time for Red Nail - 1:53 (PR)

Sweep Partials - DBLs
2x1 @ 7.5" GHex - from 5.5" to 3.5"; from 5.25" to 3.75" 
1x1 @ 7" Shiny - from 5.5" to 3.5" 

Crush Partials - BBWs (no crush pads)
1x1 @ P DR - from 4" to under 2" (PR

Kink Partials - DBLs
1x1 @ Q DR - from 7" to 6.75" (exactly 20')

Felt good.  Hope I'm not peaking now as the result of no calisthenics.  Was not in an optimal position for the Q kink attempt.  I know I can get it to 5".  

Shiny fail (at 2.5") and 5/16" DR at 8-3/8" in IMPs.  DR was surprisingly easy.  Will get it in under a minute and without bands next time.

Didn't do any calisthenics this month for various reasons - moral of the story -- don't skip chest/back work.  I would have had the shiny easy if I kept up on that work. 

Two weeks off then another cycle for december, then another two weeks off.  

• 2 weeks later...

Bending - IMPs
up to 1xF @ Red Nail (to 17 degrees, 6-7/8")

Kink Partials
1x1 @ 5/16" DR - to 10 degrees (IMPs)
1x1 @ Q DR - to 12 degrees (DBLs)
1x1 7.5" GHex - to 58 degrees, 6.25" (DBLs)

Sweep Partials - DBLs
1x1 @ 21/64" DR - from 5.5" to 3.75"

Crush Partials - BBWs
1x1 @ P DR - from 4" to under 2" (crush pads the last less than .25")
1x1 @ 7" Shiny - from 4" to 2.75" 

Gripper Chest Crush
2x10 @ 124lb IM 2.5

Calisthenics
Dips - 3x5 w/Green
Push Ups - 3x5

HeavyBag Bear Hug Walk
1 lap around the yard w/70lb heavy bag

Total time: 1:12

Guess I shouldn't be surprised by the kink weakness after two weeks off.  Just gotta get the hands going again, felt pretty strong all things considered. 

I have a pretty big yard, but that heavy bag bear hug walk was pretty exhausting, even only 1 time around.  I bagged leaves last weekend and carrying the bags to the garage hit my middle and upper back in a way no barbell exercise ever has, so I think this could be a staple for a long time.  Plus cardio, lol.  

Forgot to  mention I ran a 5k on Thanksgiving morning followed immediately by a 2 hour long 9x9 game of football with some old friends.  My legs have literally never been more sore.  

Pull Ups - 3x3 w/Blue
SGHP - 3x5 @ 45
Barbell Row - 3x5 @ 100

HeavyBag Rack Position Carry - 1 lap w/70lb bag

These carries are brutal but seem really effective.  

Dips - 3x6 w/green +2.5lbs
Push Ups - 3x6 +5lbs
OHP - 3x5 @ 45

HeavyBag Bear Hug Carry (HBBHC)
2 laps around the yard

Total time 36:xx

As of last week I'm officially done with my MBA.  I'll have a lot more time, and physical and mental energy to crank things up a bit with my training.  Doing something every day for now.  

Congrats being done with the MBA. How do you set bands up for dips? Clip to a belt or something easier?

And yeah bag carries suck, did concrete work for awhile, even 50 ft from the truck to the garage sucks with a 94lb bag of cement.

Lost my whole workout log due to my computer being shit...

Highlights - red nail to 28 degrees, up from 17 degrees last time.  It wants to bend in IMP's I can feel it.  These new ones are a lot harder than the 'old' ones.  

Shiny bastard from 4" to 2.5" 

That's it.  too lazy to remember the rest.  

On 11/30/2016 at 5:41 PM, wobbler said:

Congrats being done with the MBA. How do you set bands up for dips? Clip to a belt or something easier?

And yeah bag carries suck, did concrete work for awhile, even 50 ft from the truck to the garage sucks with a 94lb bag of cement.

Thanks man.  I think I may have given the wrong impression - I use the bands from above as support, not from below as added resistance.  I just loop it around my knee.  I'm fat :)

I can't imagine doing that kind of stuff all day long, I always had respect for laborers (runs in my family) but even more so now.  

Cal/Lifting
Dips - 3x8 w/green +7.5lbs
Push Ups - 3x8 +15lbs
OHP - 3x5 @ 65

Carries
HBBHC - 2 laps
Shoulder Carry - 1 each side

Pull Ups - 3x6 w/Blue +5lbs
BBR - 3x5 @ 115lbs
SGHP - 3x7 @ 55lbs

Sled Drag - empty
2 down and back, long side of the yard, 1 forward, 1 backward.  

Bending
up to 1xF Red Nail IMP's (barely a wobble)

Kink Partials
Q DR DBLs - barely a wobble. 

Sweep Partials
3x1 @ 21/64" DR - from 5.5" to 4", to 3.75", to 3" (added a crush hit on the last one)

Crush Partials
7.5" Ghex - from 5.25" to 3.375"
21/64" DR - from 4" to under 2" (crush pads last .5")
P DR - from 4" to under 2" 
7" Shiny - from 4" to 2.25"

Stopped my red attempt when my knuckle skin bust open again.  Don't know what I was thinking running with these bars I can't bend.  Gonna sub something out for the rest of the cycle and maybe do some N bar volume next cycle.  

Pretty terrible workout overall but very pleased at the shiny progress, especially after all of that.  The red and Q DR kink attempts were basically full power kink ISO's and my hands were roasted after.  

Bending
up to 1x1 @ 6.5" Golden Bastard - IMPs + CP

Sweep Partials
7" GHex - from 5.5" to 3.5" (PR)
21/64" DR - from 5.5" to 3.5"

Crush Partials
2x21/64" DR - from 4" to under 2" (both)
7" Shiny - from 4" to 2-3/8"

Bending
Up to 1x1 @ 6" Golden Bastard

Kink Partials
7" R DR - wobble

Sweep Partials - DBLs
7" GHex - from 5.5" to 3.5" 
7" Q DR - from 5.5" to 4.75"

Crush Partials - BBWs
7" Shiny - from 4" to 2-3/8"

Also bent an 11/32" DR at 8-3/8" to 103 degrees or 4.5" after failing miserably on the R DR kink partial.  I have a huge gap between the 21/64" DR which I can kink, sweep, and crush easily and the Q DR which I can't do shit with.  Not sure what I should use to fill the gap, maybe the duke bars, CRS hex or shiny hex, not sure.  

5.5" Golden attempt on Sunday but I'm not too confident.  The golden brass I've been using was from I suspect a fairly 'easy' batch, and I have a 5" bar from that batch, and a 5.5" bar from a 2011 batch that Daniel Reinard sent me a few years ago and that's it.  No idea how hard it is, but if it's different than what I have now, it's probably harder not easier.  

Bending
up to 1xF @ Grand Golden

Sweep Partials
7" Ghex - from 5.5" to 3.5"

Crush Partials
7" Shiny - from 4" to 2.75"

Took the grand golden to 4.25 inches (~82 degrees).  I'm confident if I got it to four or less I would have been able to crush it to under three, though under 2 probably wouldn't have happened.  Also took an 8" Duke from slightly kinked to under 2".  Training is way off from plan (again), but I'm gonna try and rest up and hit the shiny (again).  I gotta put this damn bar away! I took it to 4" in early May.  MAY!  Time to end this.  

Bending
Up to 1xF - 7" Shiny (DBLs)
1x1 @ "O" DR at 8-3/8" in (IMPs  no bands) <-- bent in about 1:30.  

Shiny stopped at 4.5", in other words, a worse attempt than the first time I tried it in May.  Not the best way to end the year, and I'm still pissed at this freaking bar.  Going to set it aside for 3-6 months again, come back to it stronger, and focus my mental energy on other bars. 

Forgot this is 18 months of training.  

Goals posted at 12 months for the 18 month mark [with results]: 

One-IMP: "L" DR -- [good wobble]
IMP's no bands: Red Nail (cert) -- [back burnered after new bars came out]
IMP's: 5/16" DR -- [did not attempt]
BBW's: "P" DR -- [did not attempt - dropped BBW's entirely last 6 months]
Doubles: Duke -- [good wobble this most recent session after the failed 7" shiny]

Reached none of my goals, and fear I may be going backwards.  Thankfully I have two weeks off to rest and think about programming. Just for fun at this point, here are my 2 year goals: 

One-IMP: IG 130kg, L DR, 140kg
IM cert conditions: @ 7" - Red Nail (cert) (<-- aiming to do this at SJ4, technically 25 months after starting)
IM cert conditions: @ 8-3/8" - 21/64" DR

IMP's: @ 7" - 5/16" DR
IMP's: @ 8-3/8" - Q DR

Doubles: @ 7" - Duke, IG 190kg, Brass Hex
Doubles: @ 8-3/8" - S DR

• 3 weeks later...

Last night I dreamt I bent an edgin in IMPs and after beinding it, said to my girlfriend, "I'm gonna kill that duke".

Planned 5 weeks off right now.  Wrist and palm have been in a lot of pain over the holidays.  Wrist is improving quickly, palm still pretry sensitive.  

Bending starts back up January 29th, and will compete I'm David Hornes steel shredder comp on 2/24.  Unless things still haven't healed.  

• Like 1

The steel for David Horne's comp arrived today, and of course I abandoned all plans and bent some just to see how it would go.  Bent the 8mm by 18" very easily in 2:37, and the 10mm by 18" not nearly as easily in 13:25.  This stuff is a workout and you need conditioning more than anything else.  I suspect I could be good for the 10mm by 14" but a lot would have to 'go right' to get the 12mm by 18" inside 20 minutes.

20170116_160517.jpg

Also bent the 8mm by 14" up under my neck like a DO bend.  

Failed on the 10mm x 14" snap attempt.  Bent it a full inch off center, and my shoulders and upper back were trashed from a week full of swim workouts, including one a few hours prior to the attempt. Will do an official attempt on the 10mm x 18" snap sometime soon, then another crack at the 10x14" and if I'm feeling crazy, the 12mm x 18".  Hardest part at this point is the time it takes the inside of my legs to recover.  

Also bent a 7 x 5/16" Stainless bar DOH in doubles in about 90 seconds.  I'm sure it was easier that the FBBC shinys (I'm starting to think the batch I have is 'hard'), but it was good to fully bend a shiny bastard equivalent.  

Full bending training resumes a week from Sunday.  

• 2 weeks later...

Training started back up again today.  

Bending

1/3 IMP's: 1/4" SS
1/2 IMP's: 17/64" DR
2/3 IMP's: 9/32" DR

One IMP: 1/4" SS

Double IMPs: Red Nail

Partials - all in IMPs

Kink - N to 6.75"
Sweep - Red from 5.5" to 3.25"
Crush - 9/32" SS from 4" to 2.25"

After workout - P DR in IMP's no bands at 8-3/8" in <1:00.  

N DR kink attempt was a surprise, but very pleased with the long P DR bend under IM cert conditions.  Philosophy for now is more minimal padding, lower intensity.  Heavier padding slipped into my training last year more and more, I think because of the gap in steel between 450 and 500 or so, and I think things regressed.  Hoping to stick with minimal padding for a few months and come back having passed that gap.  

Goals for this cycle are IG175kg in doubles, 8" Brass Hex (or Shiny, depending on how the cycle goes) and Q DR at 8-3/8" in BBW's.  

Bending

2/6 IMP's: 1/4" SS
3/6 IMP's: 17/64" DR
4/6 IMP's: 9/32" DR
5/6 IMP's: 19/64" DR

One IMP: 17/64" DR

1&5/6 IMP's: Red Nail (7:52)

Partials

Kink - N DR to 6.875"
Sweep - Red Nail - from 5.5" to (no movement); from 5.5" to under 3" (2 hits)
Crush - N DR from 4" to 2.375" (stopped after 3 big hits); 9/32" SS from 4" to under 2"

All things considered, pretty good session.  I've been swimming 5x a week training for a meet in mid-march, and my shoulders are beaten up pretty good, and I think that showed on the kink partial and the red nail.  

I try to replicate full bends as closely as possible on the partials, so I bend the bars to 5.5" on the sweep for example, at varying arc's.  The red nail I got no movement from was a very wide arc; conversely, the one I flattened in 2 hits was a relatively sharp arc.  Once I can get this N bent more fully, I'll use that arc as a guideline.  

Bending 

4/6 IMP's: 9/32" DR (x2)
Red Nail in 1&4/6 IMPs - 6:00

Partials

Kink - N DR to 6.75"
Sweep - Red Nail from 5.5" to 5"; 5.5" to 5.125"
Crush - 9/32 SS from 4" to 2.25"; Red Nail from 4" to under 2" (3 hits); N DR from 4" to 2.25" 

Kink still suffering.  Expecting a big bounceback once I don't swim before my PR attempt at the end of the month.  

Bending 

4/6 IMP's: 9/32" DR 
5/6 IMP's: 19/64" DR (x2)
Red Nail in 1&3/6 IMPs - 6:00

Big Bastard in doubles

Partials

Kink - N DR - from straight to 5" (about 8 hits)
Sweep - Red Nail - from 5.5" to 4", from 5.5" to 4.75"
Crush - N DR from 4" to 3" (stopped after 2 hits); N DR - from 4" to right at 2"; 9/32" SS from 4" to 2.25"; Red Nail from 4" to under 2"

Very pleased with the N kink, though i'm almost certain the added strength today was from not swimming - I swim either before work or on my lunch four days a week - i.e. the same day as both bending sessions - but everything was closed today due to the snow. Still a good sign that strength is coming back. 

Bending 

4/6 IMP's: 9/32" DR (x3)
1&2/6 IMP's - Red Nail - 3:50

Huge Bastard attempt in doubles.  Stopped at 2.25" (way off center, wasn't budging)

Partials

Kink - N DR - from straight to 4.75" (7 hits)
Sweep - Red Nail - from 5.5" to 3.125"
Crush - N DR - from 4" to 2.25"; 9/32" SS from 4" to 2-1/16"