Double 50kg & 45lb Pinch lift  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Does this lift pass?

• Pass?
    • Fail?

1. Must lift to full deadlift position.

2. Only chalk allowed.

3. Must be metal plates. Must lift smooth-sides-out. No rubber plates.

4. Lift must be followed to the floor.

• Like 6

That's a very lift.

I watched it a few times in slow-mo and can't see why someone would fail this. Maybe they will step out of shadows and explain why they failed it.

• Like 2

I see three obvious and reasonable explanations for a fail vote.

1. Misclick. If you are distracted I can see this happening.

2. The person is under the erroneous impression that the plates can't touch the legs. To be clear...this is a deadlift poll, not a platehold for time...where leaning a weight against the body could potentially extend a hold. Additionally, if you've ever pinched plates near your max...hitting your legs on the way up...or right after achieving full deadlift position...will actually cause your grip to fail. Again...this is a deadlift...any drag against the leg would actually make the lift harder.

3. The person has an axe to grind with Bob...or life.

P.S. Leaving feedback with a "fail" vote is actually a helpful thing.

• Like 7

Seemed to be easy for You Bob!! Add weight!! :mosher :mosher :mosher

• Like 1

Explanations for fails should be mandatory.

If the failure was something we all missed I'm sure we all would appreciate the insight.

By no means would it be to call anyone out.

• Like 5

I'm a big fan of Bob. I am the 2nd fail vote, only because it slipped out of his right hand on the way down from what I can see. Per the instructions it says that it has to be followed down.

1 follow play
verb fol·low \ˈfä-(ˌ)lō\
Simple Definition of follow
Popularity: Bottom 50% of words
  • : to go or come after or behind (someone or something)

• : to go after or behind (someone) secretly and watch to find out what happens

• : to come after (something) in time or place or as part of a series

Full Definition of follow
  1. transitive verb
  2. 1 : to go, proceed, or come after <followed the guide>

3. 2 a : to engage in as a calling or way of life : pursue <wheat-growing is generally followed here> b : to walk or proceed along <follow a path>

4. 3 a : to be or act in accordance with <follow directions> b : to accept as authority : obey <followed his conscience>

5. 4 a : to pursue in an effort to overtake b : to seek to attain <follow knowledge>

6. 5 : to come into existence or take place as a result or consequence of <disaster followed the blunder>

7. 6 a : to come or take place after in time, sequence, or order b : to cause to be followed <followed dinner with a liqueur>

8. 7 : to copy after : imitate

9. 8 a : to watch steadily <followed the flight of the ball> b : to keep the mind on <follow a speech> c : to attend closely to : keep abreast of <followed his career with interest> d : to understand the sense or logic of (as a line of thought)

10. intransitive verb
  11. 1 : to go or come after a person or thing in place, time, or sequence

12. 2 : to result or occur as a consequence, effect, or inference

as follows
  1. : as comes next —used impersonally

follow one's nose
  1. 1 : to go in a straight or obvious course

2. 2 : to proceed without plan or reflection : obey one's instincts

follow suit
  1. 1 : to play a card of the same suit as the card led

2. 2 : to follow an example set

See follow defined for English-language learners

See follow defined for kids

Examples of follow
  1. She followed us into the kitchen.

2. The dog followed the children home.

3. The exit is right this way. Just follow me.

4. The children went home and the dog followed behind.

5. If one sheep goes through the gate, the rest will follow.

6. The number 15 follows 14.

7. Her accident was followed by a long period of recovery.

8. First came the student speeches, and the presentation of awards followed.

9. Rioting followed the unjust verdict.

10. If you work hard, success will surely follow.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/follow

1. Must lift to full deadlift position.
2. Only chalk allowed.
3. Must be metal plates. Must lift smooth-sides-out. No rubber plates.
4. Lift must be followed to the floor.

I think I see your point Bob. It would be helpful if one of the moderators elaborated on what was meant by 'followed'. I always thought that it meant the hand and implement had to be going the same speed down and in contact together, but the hand didn't necessarily have to have 'control' (i.e. slow the speed of the implement). In your video, it seems to me midway down, the plates start falling faster than the hand is moving down. Regardless, it's still a bitchin', awesome lift!!!

Edited by bwwm
  • Like 1

I'm a big fan of Bob. I am the 2nd fail vote, only because it slipped out of his right hand on the way down from what I can see. Per the instructions it says that it has to be followed down.

Man...After I reading this...I watched the video like Twenty times. When the weight bounces off the ground it obviously tears out of his hand...but before that...I can't actually see it coming out. Maybe if I go frame by frame I might see something different...but it would really be missing the point.

The actual idea of the pinch lift is use your hand strength to lift an object. The reason the "follow down" rule is even in effect is to make sure someone doesn't just use momentum to get to the apex and then drop it. At the top of Bob's lift...he holds it for 3-4 seconds. This demonstrates the pure mastery of the pinch...which is what the feat is really all about.

Failing this lift for a possible frame by frame infraction of the perceived understanding of "follow down" rule is like Alex Trebec negating your correct answer because it wasn't phrased as a question. My opinion of course.

• Like 2

The actual idea of the pinch lift is use your hand strength to lift an object. The reason the "follow down" rule is even in effect is to make sure someone doesn't just use momentum to get to the apex and then drop it. At the top of Bob's lift...he holds it for 3-4 seconds. This demonstrates the pure mastery of the pinch...which is what the feat is really all about.

I 100% agree. I'm completely open to reversing my vote, I'd just like some clarification on 'followed to he floor'.

It would be good if all people who voted "fail" also would tell reasons why it´s not good lift. When I did my INCH lift and blob50curl I got "7 failed lift" votes but also they told why it´s not good.

Thanks for Martin that you told your opinion.

This should be written a rule up: "If feat is not good lift, please tell what is the reason".

• Like 3

Best thing would be to delete the rule that the implements should be controlled to the floor! I'm serious about that! Bobs lift was VERY solid including a hold - so no question about if he is strong enough to do the lift. Why following down? Is there any advantage??

Edited by Burkhard Macht

I'm with the deleting the "follow" rule as long as it it is agreeable that a full lockout is achieved. I have had a lift fail this way along with many others I'm sure. Amazing lift Bob! Looks like you're going to need some 30kg plates

I passed it but title needs to be changed. Not 50kg plates, they are a pair of 25kg or 55# plates

People are putting themselves out there with feat videos, so I feel it is only fair. At this point, since Juha & Aaron feel it is a good lift, I'm going to change mine to pass since I feel they likely have a good feel for what the spirit of the rule was.

People are putting themselves out there with feat videos, so I feel it is only fair. At this point, since Juha & Aaron feel it is a good lift, I'm going to change mine to pass since I feel they likely have a good feel for what the spirit of the rule was.

I haven´t voted.

I have only watched people´s opinions.

I didn´t want you to change your opinion. I think you have exact eyes when you wrote: "only because it slipped out of his right hand on the way down from what I can see."

Rule says: 4. Lift must be followed to the floor. It is same rule as at hub lifts. I have seen people failed their hub lift for the same reason. They drop it before it touches floor.

I haven´t voted.

I have only watched people´s opinions.

I didn´t want you to change your opinion. I think you have exact eyes when you wrote: "only because it slipped out of his right hand on the way down from what I can see."

Rule says: 4. Lift must be followed to the floor. It is same rule as at hub lifts. I have seen people failed their hub lift for the same reason. They drop it before it touches floor.

If "followed to the floor" doesn´t mean to touch the equipment to the floor then it is passed I think.

Edited by Juha Harju

Good discussion everyone, thanks for contributing to the voting process either way.

Still not sure everyone follows the meaning of "follow" , maybe a different word or operational definition is needed for what constitutes a pinch feat. I thought Nate made some particularly good points re: what constitutes mastery of a pinch feat.

That sounds like a bad idea imo. You pick up the implement and you put it down again. If it slips out of your grip you need to get stronger rather than changing the rules. Returning to Bob's lift that looked like a controlled descent to me.

Best thing would be to delete the rule that the implements should be controlled to the floor! I'm serious about that! Bobs lift was VERY solid including a hold - so no question about if he is strong enough to do the lift. Why following down? Is there any advantage??

That sounds like a bad idea imo. You pick up the implement and you put it down again. If it slips out of your grip you need to get stronger rather than changing the rules. Returning to Bob's lift that looked like a controlled descent to me.

He controlled it all the way up and nearly all the way down. At the last few cms it slipped for some reason! If one judges extremely strict the only result has to be "fail". I voted for "pass" because Bob showed major control over the weight. To avoid such fruitless discussions in the future I'm sure that a lockout should be enough for feats - without a controlled move to the floor.

He controlled it all the way up and nearly all the way down. At the last few cms it slipped for some reason! If one judges extremely strict the only result has to be "fail". I voted for "pass" because Bob showed major control over the weight. To avoid such fruitless discussions in the future I'm sure that a lockout should be enough for feats - without a controlled move to the floor.

Lifts negative part is one of the most importants thing.

Example: If you cleaned double blobs or kettlebells, plates or hubs and after that you drop those down without controlling you haven´t shown anything of your strength.

Always impressive Bob...Excellent feat man!!