Kody Burns Is In The Grip Well!

Bill Piche

What I do is I train 1hp with a loading pin or vbar out in front of me with about 40 to 50lbs on it, just so you can't tip it over. Start with an empty Euro and pick it up off the ground, turn the Euro into the loading pin and try and tip it over. So you have a static pinch followed by a static pinch pronation isometric against the loading pin or vbar. This helps train the torque needed to generate more pinch force. The same pinch force torque needed when you 2hp. Then what you do is you start the Euro against your calf muscle or ankle area, generate the same force against the leg as you did against the loading pin or vbar. The rules state that the bar can and will hit your leg during some part of the lift and it does for some. So just start it against the leg generater more torque. You still will need pinch power but this isometric assistance angle is where it's at. This will add a lot more dynamic power to your pinch. It will feel strange at first but after a few workouts you will see huge jumps if you do things right. I like to work the assistance exercises in between these attempts. Sledghammer Pronation/Supination, wrist roller, whatever feels like would help. Then next workout you add weight and adjust your isometric hold time. Shake things up, try rubber bands for resistance if you want. Sometimes I would pick it up and slam it into the vbar as hard as I could to work explosive power. Granted you have to be at a high enough level of pinching to get over the fear of not being able to pull the bar up you leg because it's touching your leg. You got to get over that or get some slick under armour pants or jogging pants or something. That little bit of friction is of little value with what you will overcome in just a couple sessions of training it like this.

Kody, this is interesting but I have no idea what your trying to explain here, i just can't picture what you mean by tipping over and turning the euro into a loading pin and dragging it up your leg, I don't get it. Could you make up a quick video explaining this paragraph ?

Parris

• Like 2

Very interesting thread. Thanks Kody!

What I do is I train 1hp with a loading pin or vbar out in front of me with about 40 to 50lbs on it, just so you can't tip it over. Start with an empty Euro and pick it up off the ground, turn the Euro into the loading pin and try and tip it over. So you have a static pinch followed by a static pinch pronation isometric against the loading pin or vbar. This helps train the torque needed to generate more pinch force. The same pinch force torque needed when you 2hp. Then what you do is you start the Euro against your calf muscle or ankle area, generate the same force against the leg as you did against the loading pin or vbar. The rules state that the bar can and will hit your leg during some part of the lift and it does for some. So just start it against the leg generater more torque. You still will need pinch power but this isometric assistance angle is where it's at. This will add a lot more dynamic power to your pinch. It will feel strange at first but after a few workouts you will see huge jumps if you do things right. I like to work the assistance exercises in between these attempts. Sledghammer Pronation/Supination, wrist roller, whatever feels like would help. Then next workout you add weight and adjust your isometric hold time. Shake things up, try rubber bands for resistance if you want. Sometimes I would pick it up and slam it into the vbar as hard as I could to work explosive power. Granted you have to be at a high enough level of pinching to get over the fear of not being able to pull the bar up you leg because it's touching your leg. You got to get over that or get some slick under armour pants or jogging pants or something. That little bit of friction is of little value with what you will overcome in just a couple sessions of training it like this.

Kody, this is interesting but I have no idea what your trying to explain here, i just can't picture what you mean by tipping over and turning the euro into a loading pin and dragging it up your leg, I don't get it. Could you make up a quick video explaining this paragraph ?

Parris

Thnx for your open story Kody, luckily everything turned out for the good in the end.

I had the same,Parris, and I am not Kody of course but I interprete this in the first explanation as basically playing tennis with an empty Euro in your hands and hitting it against the Vbar. The second I interprete it as doing the same, but now between your legs, and thus bringing the Euro in the area where it would be when doing a regular lift, so with the both empty loading pins on the front and back. by having the front of the shins against the Euro edge you could produce torque by holding it so tight against your legs and also scrape your shins. Sorry if I explained it wrong, if it's different then I also need the video drastically haha

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 2

Parris

Yes Parris, I will do that later today. It will be much easier to understand. Sorry for any confusion.
  • Like 1

Thanks Kody, I got several likes on my question so im sure othere would like to see it as well.

Parris

• Like 1

Parris[/quote

https://youtu.be/V9xOEU6WPLY

Edited by kodyburns
  • Like 9

Now makes sense. Thanks a lot

• Like 1

How long had you been training prior to your first comp?

For grip, Reps or singles? (On average, in general)

Tips on thumb placement for block/euro ?

I was born a baseball fan. From age 3 on I always had a bat in my hands so I always kinda felt that sense of hand awareness and appreciation of strong hands that produce a powerful swing. Bought a Trainer and a #1 CoC back in 1999 - 2000. Trained lots of reps back then. I was working as an electrician back then for 3 years or so. That's where I really started loving the feeling of working with my hands. I also bought the Ironmind 2inch Wrist Roller and Leverage Bar. I picked these up for softball because I was wanting to increase my bat speed. I was a longball hitter and could smash a softball. Peoples reactions to me hitting softballs drove me to train my wrists even more. I was fortunate enough to have an uncle that played mens professional softball that I grew up watching in amazement. His team won the Mens Major Open World Championship and I got to see some of the best and most powerful softball hitters and legends play the game. These experiences made me want to work hard. I wasn't directly working grip but indirectly I kinda was. I remember I had a bag of about 100 softballs and I would hit 2 or 3 times a week. I developed a bad bad case of tendonitis in the elbow and dealt with this for about 8 years with no clue in the world how to fix it. I bought a #2 a few months later and shut it no problem. Bought a 3 more or less as a joke and it didn't get used for a few years. Then they came out with 2.5 CoC and that struck my interest. Was 1/4 inch away for a couple more years, then sometime in 2009 I learned how to set a gripper and mashed the 2.5 no problem. Then I was a 1/4 inch from the #3. Then a year and a half or 2 years later I shut my first #3. Once I was shutting 3's that's when I wanted to learn more about competing and went to my first comp in April 2012. When I think about all the work I used to do on top of working my normal job I can see how it payed off once I got into grip. A good strong foundation was built. I worked a lot harder physically back then then I do now, but I was all reps back then for years and nothing but TNS reps for damn near 10 years of nothing more than a CoC #2. I would work the 2 inch wrist roller and leverage bar every morning while a drank my coffee and watched Sportscenter before work. I usually bust out a good burn between the 2 before work everyday. I wouldn't use this approach now but at the time that's all I knew to do and as long as I thought it was working, it was working :)

For thumb placement I would just say try to keep the thumb webbing above the edge. I don't want the webbing on the edge but I do want the thumb socket bone beneath it digging into as much as the thumb side of the plate as possible. It's tough to not tear sometimes but you will get tired of it and eventually change it up or adapt to the training. I used to not mind tearing because by the time it took to regrow the new skin I was ready to pinch heavy again. Experimenting is where its at with this. Over time your hand will lift things the way it wants to or has to depending on how you treat it. Just cause you lift something different than me or someone else doesn't make it the wrong way. Sometimes the hands will teach you what they want to do regardless of what you think your teaching them :)

• Like 6

Kody, you said you started competing in grip sport 4 years ago, but before then were you training your grip at all?

When you first started training your grip what did it look like and what does your training look like now?

Thanks for doing the grip well Kody!!

Hey Tom ! See previous post re-quote. A whole different world is the only way to put it. I worked hard before I knew what I was doing and I'm still working hard and maybe harder in some ways. It's kinda like when you find something you love and it doesn't feel like your working. Sometimes I think I'm addicted too much and maybe I should get help :) Definitely a better balanced, injury prevention approach is key here on out. I've had stupid injuries from accidents or drinking and when I couldn't train my hands it was like going through withdraws. Totally made me appreciate my hands that much more. Made a promise to myself to work as smart and as hard as possible as long as Im still able. And Thanks Tom !!

Edited by kodyburns
  • Like 1

How did you find the world of grip training?

Do you do an other strength actives and if so do you think they benefit your grip training?

Some muscle magazine I was reading one day had a #3 CoC article I took interest to. That was back before I was really ever on the internet. Once I got the internet I learned more through grip videos and contest videos.

I like to row on my Concept 2 Rower every now and then. I do rig up some pinch blocks, fat gripz, and eagle loops when I need a quick high volume cardio grip session usually only when Im short on time and cant get but a few minutes in or so but lately that's been as good as it gets. I like these kind of days usually 2 or 3 days after a good heavy session or after a good strong volume workout. Supposed to be changing work schedules finally after 8 years of constant crazy work hours. Can't wait.

• Like 1

What does your diet look like?

Diet isn't bad but could definitely have room for improvement. I try to eat something that comes from an animal as much as possible. Beef, and Chicken more often than anything.I probly drink more milk than anybody I know. Granted I probly drink more of the freshest milk than anyone else too unless you drink the milk straight from the cow. I work for Meijer's now and we make all the milk for every Meijer store in Ohio. I get as much fresh milk as I want before it ever hits the store shelves. I always drank a lot of milk but now its just overkill. I try to stay away from sweets every now and then but It's kinda like phases where I wont have any then when I do I make up for lost time.

First of all congratulations on all of your accomplishments. Second, grip work at your level must be really rough on your hands so what steps do you take to do keep them healthy?

Thank you Acromegaman ! It can certainly be so. I do contrast baths as much as possible. I use 8 ice cube trays for my cold in a 5 gallon bucket. Drill a hole in the bottom of the hot bucket so you can let the cooled water out and more hot as you can stand it. I do them til the all the ice melts in my cold bucket.

If the hands are really tore up pain wise than I will add some Epsom salt to my ice water. If the hands hurt before bed and I remember, I wear compression sleeves, wrist bands, and compression gloves when I sleep.

• Like 5

Thanks for taking the time to be in the Well Kody.

With the Anvil, was it a natural implement for you strength wise or did you really have to specialize on it?

Also with the Anvil, do you have to train it often to maintain a certain strength or do you find certain other lifts you do keep you close with it?

Thanks again

No problem David ! Thanks !

I trained maybe 2 max sessions with the Anvil before I set the world record. All secondary grip work usually. Eventually you have to get your hands on the actual implements to figure out how to train with it or without it. Best exercises I found for the Anvil are Sledgehammer Fingerwalk light, medium, and heavy work. Work light, few days later go medium, few more days go heavy. Then repeat. 2 inch leverage bar is great for Vbar. Volume work and Heavy every now and then and you will see results with your pinch too if you pinch around 2 inches like I do. A pattern starts to form if you follow me, 2 inch leverage bar, 2 inch Wrist Roller, 2 inch Vbar, I one hand pinch at 50 mm too (2 inches). By working with the implements that are the same width you have carry over to virtually everything this way. Long as your constantly killing fresh fully healed hands and changing the exercises up you cant overtrain as easy. One good off day exercise with the Anvil I like is take only the Anvil in your hand with no carabiner of loading pin attached and just spin it in your hand one direction, then spin the other way. Your fingers will kinda look like your doing a sledge fingerwalk since the Anvil is tapered. This simple little exercise I liked to do on off days or active recovery days to keep the hands warm.

• Like 4

Hello Kody, i would like to know how you structur your training. How many days a week? Do you have special days for grippers, pinch, thick bar...? How many exercises?

No structure whatsoever Jorg. Sorry. I've always just trained when I have time. I try to think of something I haven't done in a while that way I know I am fully healed. It seems this training works the best for me. Suprisingly its almost a guaranteed PR everytime if I can get the balance right.

Hello Kody, i would like to know how you structur your training. How many days a week? Do you have special days for grippers, pinch, thick bar...? How many exercises?

Sorry Jorg, I forgot to add, When Im in gripper rhythm I train grippers every 7-10 days depending on the degree of pain received from previous workout. If I had time and preference I would train squat/bench/crush/pinch all kind of together. I would do like a circuit warm up with each and then slowly add weight to each exercise and keep repeating the same circuit until I put the work in Im looking for and feeling good enough for. I adjust on the fly. If something don't feel good I'll lighten up or work opposing muscle angles if necessary. I never work anything after heavy thickbar unless its light pinch. If it's light thickbar than I might go heavy pinch work. I see thick bar work a lot like pinching. Similar muscles but without the specific thumb work. If Im doing static or isometric thickbar than I will work speed pinch work on the TTK. I very rarely train wide pinch. I don't like how it makes my thumbs feel like they are vulnerable to injury. After so wide I see no point in endangering my future ability to train. But then again if you wanna be good at wide pinch or anything else you have to pay the price. I just don't train wide pinch specifically. I always train at the width I pinch at on the Euro or thinner. Never wider, always thinner. I do as many exercises as I can thank of that feel like theyre working the area that Im needing worked. When you hit things from a lot of angles you are able to find your weak areas and your strong areas and improve both by trying different exercise at different time periods of your training.

Hi Kody - I don't have much to add to the questions above. I just want to let everybody know that if you meet Kody at a contest, etc. he is one of the nicest guys you'll meet, and very helpful to new folks and experienced folks alike. I had a chance to meet him at Nationals a few years ago, and Kody is truly a class act. He also has a smokin' hot wife, but that's besides the point :sorcerer:

Haha !! Thanks Bro !! That's an added extra bonus !!

Thank you for doing this, Kody!

My questions:

1. In general, do you prefer time wise longer grip workouts? (I think I remember you talking about that, I maybe remember wrong)

2. Do you always exercise your body as well, when you do grip training?

.Yes I do enjoy the feeling of having enough time to hit everything I need. Sometimes I have to do almost my whole body in one session. I keep it fairly simple though. I try not to isolate body parts a whole lot right now since I don't have the daily schedule to keep everything in check and balanced. Short on time requires to have to be choosey and I have to think about when my next workout day could be. I'll adjust my workouts according to when I think I can get back in the garage. If it isn't for a week at a time like now and sometimes longer, I can push things a little harder in the focus areas since I know I won't kill it again for 6 or 7 days. In reality my whole daily workout never really stops. Regardless theres rarely a day goes by that Im not doing something in the shape or form of rehab and recovery work daily til the next hard workout. So I'd say I like longer durations of training. I seem to be able to hit any and every angle I'm looking at.

I don't always exercise the body when I grip train. This is because I work fairly hard in my daily job so honestly I don't have the time too nor the energy sometimes so I'll just put in all grip work, sometimes for hours on end. I've had several 12+ hr workouts when I used to 12 hr night swing shift. There was no sense in trying to fight the sleep schedule so I just stayed up all night and trained. When I have hours to train I can think better and warm up better to figure out where and how or what new ways I'm gonna train my weak and strong areas. Most of the time I just listen to my hands and they pretty much tell me what they want to do. Ive gotten so much better at understanding how I heal and what helps and what slows me down from workout to workout. I guess it's kind of like the biofeedback method in a way. I just recognize right away usually if my hands say yes or no to certain things I might throw at em. There are times when I don't care if the hands are tired or sore or not and I will do dexterity balls or fingerwalks to bring in the blood pump to saturate and heal the muscles and tendons. That's where the contrast baths come in well. All the contrast baths are really doing is creating a natural blood circulating pump for the hands wrist and forearms. The ice water bucket chases the stale bad blood out and the hot water brings in the fresh blood and loosens up all the crud and junk in the joints. The constant contrast or repeat of this over and over and over does nothing but increases your healing time and keeps the hands healthier. If done enough and the right way. I'd say you could shave off a day or two maybe more of healing if you just did nothing at all. I like to hit the hot for minimum 3 or 4 minutes, maximum 7-9 while constantly adding fresh hotter water each time. I forgot to mention on previous post that I drilled a whole in my hot bucket at the bottome the size of wine cork so when it the hot warms down I can let a third or half the water out, cork it back and add even hotter water. Each time you contrast you will be able to withstand a little more hot and a little longer in the ice bucket. I look at it as the quicker you can heal properly the less likely you will be to overtrain and the more actual training you can do if you have the time.

Checkout this. http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/09/21/the-glove-improves-athletic-performance.aspx

• Like 3

First off; I knew you were a grip monster but the list above, fuark! Mirin! Big time!

Im interested to hear about your strategy and training with grippers and 1h euro pinch and blockweights etc.

Also, how was your gripstrength when you first started training?

Keep the records coming!

Thanks very much Peter ! The basic strategy is to stay healthy and train smarter. Some people might think that the stronger your hands get the less you have to warm up. For me its just the opposite. I can inury myself daily if Im not careful with my hands from the previous workout since they can be extremely tight in a certain way, then I go to work and have to use my hands in a quick motion or something that catches me off guard and if I am too tight I can be susceptible to minor strains. Any chance I get I always try to heat the hands and wrists up on the daily just to make sure they aren't staying too tight. A lot of times Im so used to long durations of workout that I think my tendons sometimes go into a reserve sort of state. Like they don't wanna wake up unless I warm them up for a couple hours first. When the workouts are long you have to stay busy with the volume of the tendons cool down and you end up straining something.

When I work grippers what seems to work for me is working up to 5 sets of 5 reps on any particular width or CCS set or blockset or TNS. Dont' matter, it works regardless. Say you can CCS a #2 CoC for a few reps but can't CCS a 2.5. Once a week take the #2 and work CCS reps til you are able to CCS the #2 for 5 sets of 5 reps. First you have to know where you are rep and set wise. Start with 3 sets of 3 reps. Say you nailed these. The next workout you will go 3 sets of 4 reps, then the next week you will hit 3 sets of 5 reps. Once you hit 3 sets of 5 reps then the next workout will be 3 sets of 4 reps, then a week later 4 sets of 4 reps, then 5 sets of 4 reps, once you get the 5 sets again go back to 3 sets of 5 reps, then 4 sets of 5 reps, then 5 sets of 5 reps. With CoC's for me this equivalates to bding able to shut the next half size gripper above the one your using to train with once your able to nail the 5 sets of 5 reps. This program teaches you how your grip responds to healing. At first you might feel like the workouts could come a little quicker than a week in between crush days and this might hold true until you find where your at. If this is new territory or a new concept of training you will likely need a whole week to heal. Trust me on this. If your intensity is there and it should be, then you shouldn't have anything left in the tank each workout crush wise. It should take it all out of you. That's when it will take a week at least to heal properly. As you notice as you start progressing your actually increasing your reps by a few reps each workout so the body will need to the rest when you start hammering out 12 to 15 to 20+ reps a week. With this program, when I got in a good groove I was able to see gains in either the reps or sets each workout. If you don't see PR's weekly then your overtraining. It's quite simple once you get going. Its a real good way to figure out how your hands respond and heal from workout to workout. And theres nothing better than seeing progress every workout.

With the Euro I just never do the same thing twice within a 2 or 3 weeks depending on the intensity of each workout. Work Isometrics, Timed Holds, Reps with Regrips each time, change your approach each workout. Keep the hands guessing every couple weeks. If your working the basic prime mover muscle movements then you might heal a little faster but if your trying new movements or exercises then the hands might need a hair longer recovery if you try different exercises for the first time and absolutely killing it. Any more questions just holler.

Edited by kodyburns
  • Like 2

First off; I knew you were a grip monster but the list above, fuark! Mirin! Big time!

Im interested to hear about your strategy and training with grippers and 1h euro pinch and blockweights etc.

Also, how was your gripstrength when you first started training?

Keep the records coming!

Thanks very much Peter ! The basic strategy is to stay healthy and train smarter. Some people might think that the stronger your hands get the less you have to warm up. For me its just the opposite. I can inury myself daily if Im not careful with my hands from the previous workout since they can be extremely tight in a certain way, then I go to work and have to use my hands in a quick motion or something that catches me off guard and if I am too tight I can be susceptible to minor strains. Any chance I get I always try to heat the hands and wrists up on the daily just to make sure they aren't staying too tight. A lot of times Im so used to long durations of workout that I think my tendons sometimes go into a reserve sort of state. Like they don't wanna wake up unless I warm them up for a couple hours first. When the workouts are long you have to stay busy with the volume of the tendons cool down and you end up straining something.

When I work grippers what seems to work for me is working up to 5 sets of 5 reps on any particular width or CCS set or blockset or TNS. Dont' matter, it works regardless. Say you can CCS a #2 CoC for a few reps but can't CCS a 2.5. Once a week take the #2 and work CCS reps til you are able to CCS the #2 for 5 sets of 5 reps. First you have to know where you are rep and set wise. Start with 3 sets of 3 reps. Say you nailed these. The next workout you will go 3 sets of 4 reps, then the next week you will hit 3 sets of 5 reps. Once you hit 3 sets of 5 reps then the next workout will be 3 sets of 4 reps, then a week later 4 sets of 4 reps, then 5 sets of 4 reps, once you get the 5 sets again go back to 3 sets of 5 reps, then 4 sets of 5 reps, then 5 sets of 5 reps. With CoC's for me this equivalates to bding able to shut the next half size gripper above the one your using to train with once your able to nail the 5 sets of 5 reps. This program teaches you how your grip responds to healing. At first you might feel like the workouts could come a little quicker than a week in between crush days and this might hold true until you find where your at. If this is new territory or a new concept of training you will likely need a whole week to heal. Trust me on this. If your intensity is there and it should be, then you shouldn't have anything left in the tank each workout crush wise. It should take it all out of you. That's when it will take a week at least to heal properly. As you notice as you start progressing your actually increasing your reps by a few reps each workout so the body will need to the rest when you start hammering out 12 to 15 to 20+ reps a week. With this program, when I got in a good groove I was able to see gains in either the reps or sets each workout. If you don't see PR's weekly then your overtraining. It's quite simple once you get going. Its a real good way to figure out how your hands respond and heal from workout to workout. And theres nothing better than seeing progress every workout.

With the Euro I just never do the same thing twice within a 2 or 3 weeks depending on the intensity of each workout. Work Isometrics, Timed Holds, Reps with Regrips each time, change your approach each workout. Keep the hands guessing every couple weeks. If your working the basic prime mover muscle movements then you might heal a little faster but if your trying new movements or exercises then the hands might need a hair longer recovery if you try different exercises for the first time and absolutely killing it. Any more questions just holler.

Im def gonna try this!

I trained grippers twice a week for 4-5 weeks and PRed in some way every session but then progress stopped and I kept feeling tired session after session.

I need longer rest between sessions I guess.

Gotta try to stick with the 7-10 day intervall.

Do you think doing grippers like you mentioned, then 1h euro pinch and sledge finger walks in on session works?

• Like 1

Hey Kody, I don't know if this has been asked already.

Not including a euro/block, what are other ways you have trained your thumbs and what did you find to have the best carry over to your pinch?

Strange that few people have asked this grip titan questions.

I thought more people would, especially after reading the introduction!

Hi Kody,

From what I'm reading your training is more or less 'intuitive'. Some people might call it 'biofeedback'. I've always found this to be extremely difficult. Maybe I'm just really bad at listening to my body or maybe I just have a really strong desire for a structured approach.

Do you have any tips you could share about this intuitive approach?

As it has given you such great results!

Thanks for that vid Kody!

Parris

• Like 1