Closing The No. 3

Aleksandar Milosevic

I've managed to close my CoC #2 CCS with both of my hands, and I can almost close it with my right no-set, no chalk. At the moment I'm using my Baraban adjustable to train my hands, and my numbers on the adjustable don't seem to reflect too much on my tsg gripper. My records for the adjustable are 62 kg/136 lbs on my right and left. I should be able to close my CoC for reps with that kind of strength, but we all know it's not the same movement, the last 20 mm of the close are super tough, because of the torsion movement which I'm not that used to by training on the adjustable. So, now I'm starting my quest towards closing the no.3, and I need your help for buying grippers that will take me there. Would it be smart to get a Silvis T-rex, number 3 and something that I can rep 3-5 times? Give me suggestions what would you do, since majority of you are way more experienced than me. Thanks!

• Like 1

Everyone seems to say they're great, I'll get that one, probably with both the extended and the overcrush handle. I still can't decide what to get for a third gripper, maybe some reppable ghp? I'd like to hear more suggestions.

Both ghp 5&6 are nice. In general the 5 will be slightly harder than a coc2, and the 6 a little harder than a 2.5.

Yeah, but I think it would be good to get something that I can rep, because I can't do 2 clean reps on my #2, because of the last 20mm of TSG grippers that I'm not used to, I'm building all my strength on the Baraban.

Get rated grippers. It's hard to give any suggestions other than the Silvis if we don't know your exact strength. Your #2 can be 105 lb or it can be 115 lb, thats a big difference.

Edited by Fist of Fury

post-23564-0-54069000-1434011777_thumb.j

I would also file one handle of the Baraban down. When i trained on such a gripper i also got stronger on torsion spring grippers.

I'm hesitant to file down my adjustable, it's too pretty, and I'm not a very good craftsman. I'd rather just get a no.3 and two more grippers to get me from the #2 to #3. I'll definately get a T-Rex with both the overcrush handle, and the long handle. Do you guys think I'd need anything else, with T-Rex being adjustable. Maybe I'll file down my #2 once I dominate it.

The T-Rex alone will take you to the COC#3 with MMS. Since it spans all the way from low 100's to high 140's.

If I were you I would try to get the #2 you have now rated to see where your 1RM is right now. You know you can do two reps with it so it would be easy to aproximate 1RM with that information.

I can do one clean rep with it, can't manage two. The thing is that I'm living in Serbia and I have no means of getting my gripper rated without a lot of money being spent. I will order my grippers trough Cannon and my friends from America will bring it to me, since they are coming for new year. I think that T-rex with two handles will be good.

• Like 1

Than i would also take a Megladon. COC 3 can be over 160 pounds.

Get the T-Rex and get an easier gripper than your #2 and file it. No it doesn't need to be pretty, it's a training tool, it's all about functionality. COC#1.5 will work. File more as you get stronger.

I'd like to add that programming and genetics play a huge role as well. Aaron Farley was able to tns a #3 first time out of the package, and his routine was coc 1.5, Monday Wednesday Friday, 3 sets of 10 reps. For a year. One gripper.

I guess my point is that while you do need grippers to progress, there is no key progression poundage wise that you need to have in your collection before you will succeed. Train diligently.

Nothing wrong with having a bunch of rated grippers, but I guarantee you most of them will collect dust in the end.

Also, what are your goals? If you want to cert the #3, then practice on COCs. The spread is going to be dramatically different Silvis vs COC. If general gripper strength is your goal, then I'd go Silvis with the ext/btr handles, along with an HG 250 and HG 300.

• Like 1

Aaron Farley was able to tns a #3 first time out of the package, and his routine was coc 1.5, Monday Wednesday Friday, 3 sets of 10 reps. For a year. One gripper.
Haha i can't believe that worked!!
  • Like 1

The goal of my training is just getting strong as possible in all types of grip. But, I'd like to certify on the #3 in the future. I will get the T-rex 100% with extended and overcrush handle, and a weaker gripper to file. Maybe I should get something less expensive to file, like some Heavy grips gripper or just get a #1.5? I like to think I have very good genetics for all kinds of strength gains, and my strength on the adjustable is rising constantly, same with Rolling thunder, without even training it. I can set a gripper very well (I can set the number 2 completely closed, both hands) and my open hand strength is very good, since I do a lot of no set reps. I will start choking the #2 to get some reps from parallel, since the last 15mm are my weak point. I can close it to 10 mm with no set or chalk, with no warm up with both of my hands. That's why I want some more variety in my TSG grippers. Thank you all for your answers, I'd like to hear some more suggestions, since all of you gave me some solid answers. Thanks again.

I'm in the same boat as you are for the most part. I can close my 110 pound #2 for 5-6 reps without setting. My grippers are all over the place starting at my unrated trainer 65# .5, 83# 1, 88# 1.5 110# 2, 127# 2.5 and 144# 3. I will tell you what was suggested to me by an accomplished Grip athlete. He suggested doing strap holds and overcrushes. Figured I pass that on to you as a possible training addition since we are both limited in our range of grippers.

I feel like saying it here, coin holds are good, but paperclip holds are better because the handles are 100% together. Its pretty self explanatory, put a paperclip in there and hold it.

Holds and small clicker reps are both great. If you don't have blood blisters on your fingertips, you're not trying hard enough.

I am doing holds and overcrushes, but not too much of it, I'm still experimenting with my approach. I'm getting a hose clamp today to do some choked closes. I know most people will disagree, I don't think it's so important to have very small jumps in grippers, programing, exrecise choice and playing with leverage can take you a long way. Paperclip or coin, it doesn't matter really, static holds build strength in the position where you hold it, +5 and -5 degrees. I've got plenty of blisters, and I think my palm changes all of it's skin every week :D Thanks for the advices everyone, I'm gonna get a T-rex with both handles and something weaker than my #2 to rep/file.

I am doing holds and overcrushes, but not too much of it, I'm still experimenting with my approach. I'm getting a hose clamp today to do some choked closes. I know most people will disagree, I don't think it's so important to have very small jumps in grippers, programing, exrecise choice and playing with leverage can take you a long way. Paperclip or coin, it doesn't matter really, static holds build strength in the position where you hold it, +5 and -5 degrees. I've got plenty of blisters, and I think my palm changes all of it's skin every week :D Thanks for the advices everyone, I'm gonna get a T-rex with both handles and something weaker than my #2 to rep/file.

It's not important to have very small jumps unless you have them for a competition. But it's very important to not have too big jumps and that might be the reason you're struggeling right now. Your #2 might be a very hard #2 and your gripper right under that one (#1.5?) might be an easy one, so you could have a gap of 30-40 pounds right there. If thats the case there's no wonder you have problems. You simply need more reps with a gripper closer to the #2 you have.

I wouldn't say I'm struggling, I'm constantly getting stronger and stronger. I'm just thinking about the future, to close the number 3. I make small increment jumps on my adjustable. I think my #2 is pretty strong, since my best close on the Baraban is 2-2 hard spring 5-5 easy spring, which is 62 kg (I realize it's different with tsg) according to the lists provided at the forum, and I can do a single rep on my #2. Today I tried choked closes for the first time, and I think that will get me repping my #2 very soon. I agree with you about the big jumps tho, that's why I wanna get the T-rex, to have all the ranges needed + overcrush. Thanks for the answer :)

I think the T-Rex will be good for you. I've been using it a lot myself with big success. I regret I didn't buy one sooner than I did, since it goes all the way down to a very easy #2.