Robert Baraban Grip Machine Review

silverbackgrip

Those welds are what I'd consider bad (looks like they were a bit hot to me) and it's thin wall stock. The concept is neat though.

Yeah the welds ain't anything to write home about but will me more then fine for this. I have some ugly welds on things and they are fine, it's a grip machine and not a bridge.

Also if you don't want to screw around with change the screws on it to change the position just drop a hose clamp over the handles and set it where you want, you have more then enough room at the bottom for that.

What about putting something under your elbow like a phonebook to keep your arm and hand in line?

I'm glad your coming to the Southern Squeeze, I'm also glad your not in my weightclass.

• Like 1

What about putting something under your elbow like a phonebook to keep your arm and hand in line?

#MindBlown haha

qqt8yts.gif

Edited by Euclides
  • Like 1

Nice video, I like it. The way carry over comes from gripmachines is definitely depending I would say by the way in what angle you are hooked up to the weightload. I have a horizontal traditional plateloader. I have to be very careful not to cheat the way up. And indeed, the linear resistence makes for a very different way of training. Be careful with the weights you use, your hands are much stronger in the last part of the close then in the open hand part, and I think that's where injuries are lurking around, I tend to use too much weight because I want to feel the crush worked, with less weight, the open hand is trained much more but the crush isn't if you catch my drift. And with too much weight on the open hand part that is where I am prone to injury with this machine. There is no building up of tension, you get the whole load at once when squeezing. This causes a lot of stress on the tendons. Somehow these machines should translate to tns grippers, when you add pounds to the weightstack, you are getting stronger I would say. That should work.

I know John McCarter worked mostly with negatives and holds. Carlos R Pagan, certed on the 3.5 and he contributed this to his IM Gripmachine, working reps, combining the weighttotal of 5 sets and trying to succeed that every session. If not, he would stay at that weight.

• Like 1

The Robert Baraban Grip Machine looks good.

Where can you purchase it?

(I did not see it listed under Amazon, ebay or Robert Baraban)

Those welds are what I'd consider bad (looks like they were a bit hot to me) and it's thin wall stock. The concept is neat though.

I'll show you bad welds :grin: Mine are drippy and FUGLY.

Sooo pretty!

2R8lCsO.jpg

Edited by Jared Goguen
  • Like 4

Jared, I should hit you up on some tips to make mine better. Some of the problem is the equipment to be sure, but that's not likely the biggest part of the issue. I have very little experience.

Jared, I should hit you up on some tips to make mine better. Some of the problem is the equipment to be sure, but that's not likely the biggest part of the issue. I have very little experience.

I have taught myself from watching Youtube videos and just working at it.

It's not uncommon. I grew up on a farm with a father who had a tool and die machine shop so I got my fair share of practice before I was any good at it. It's been a fair share of years now though so I'm probably only marginally better than bad :grin: I'd really love the space for a proper shop these days. Instead I watch Jared's videos and live vicariously through him.

• Like 1

The Robert Baraban Grip Machine looks good.

Where can you purchase it?

(I did not see it listed under Amazon, ebay or Robert Baraban)

Yea, its a great machine but sadly... I don't think he makes it anymore.

That looks interesting! Might want to get one. Have to put a longer piece of pvc inside that loading pin, Euclides.

I usually just put the end of a broom stick in the loading pin lol

I can see very easily making a variant of that design that would allow for handles to move more like a gripper vs parallel. Would be easy to add some increasing resistance too with mini bands or other ways.

- Aaron

• Like 2

Nice video, I like it. The way carry over comes from gripmachines is definitely depending I would say by the way in what angle you are hooked up to the weightload. I have a horizontal traditional plateloader. I have to be very careful not to cheat the way up. And indeed, the linear resistence makes for a very different way of training. Be careful with the weights you use, your hands are much stronger in the last part of the close then in the open hand part, and I think that's where injuries are lurking around, I tend to use too much weight because I want to feel the crush worked, with less weight, the open hand is trained much more but the crush isn't if you catch my drift. And with too much weight on the open hand part that is where I am prone to injury with this machine. There is no building up of tension, you get the whole load at once when squeezing. This causes a lot of stress on the tendons. Somehow these machines should translate to tns grippers, when you add pounds to the weightstack, you are getting stronger I would say. That should work.

I know John McCarter worked mostly with negatives and holds. Carlos R Pagan, certed on the 3.5 and he contributed this to his IM Gripmachine, working reps, combining the weighttotal of 5 sets and trying to succeed that every session. If not, he would stay at that weight.

Glad you liked the video. and thx for reminding me about that "weight total" training method. Def gonna incorporate that in my machine training day.

• Like 1

I can see very easily making a variant of that design that would allow for handles to move more like a gripper vs parallel. Would be easy to add some increasing resistance too with mini bands or other ways.

- Aaron

Yeah, I'm actually really surprised that was neglected in this design.

• Like 1

The machine that I always found coolest is the PDA gripanator. Does exactly what Aaron describes.

• Like 1

The machine that I always found coolest is the PDA gripanator. Does exactly what Aaron describes.

When I got to use a Gripanator, it was beyond any other grip machine and felt like a hand gripper. The handles on it though were beyond tough on the hands. Made it seem like a GHP was heavy grip on knurling.

When I got to use a Gripanator, it was beyond any other grip machine and felt like a hand gripper. The handles on it though were beyond tough on the hands. Made it seem like a GHP was heavy grip on knurling.

Cool, who's did you try? Not a lot of people have access to that thing. Didn't Joe Musselwhite sell his? Or someone els on this board. Can't recall.

I'm talking about this thing btw, for guys who don't know this device.

post-15002-0-54131600-1449316849_thumb.j

Edited by Geralt

Cool, who's did you try? Not a lot of people have access to that thing. Didn't Joe Musselwhite sell his? Or someone els on this board. Can't recall.

I'm making a slightly improved one right now. It's like half done.

• Like 2

Jared,

I knew at some point you would make one of these.

Really would like to see your Video

Jared,

I knew at some point you would make one of these.

Really would like to see your Video

It will happen in time, I got a lot of pots in the fire at the moment.

• Like 1

Yes, that is the machine I had the chance to use. It was at Luke Wicks, I believe the machine was borrowed from Erik Vining. It was a rare chance to see and use one. Can't remember how much I put on but a little goes a long way on that machine. The handles are more sharp than a GHP and doing heavy holds on that machine could tear the hands up.

It is vary different than any grip machine. I would say it had the most gripper like feel to it out of all the machines I've used to date.

Yes, that is the machine I had the chance to use. It was at Luke Wicks, I believe the machine was borrowed from Erik Vining. It was a rare chance to see and use one. Can't remember how much I put on but a little goes a long way on that machine. The handles are more sharp than a GHP and doing heavy holds on that machine could tear the hands up.

It is vary different than any grip machine. I would say it had the most gripper like feel to it out of all the machines I've used to date.

I would also add, a machine like this, you have to be careful with the weight selection as it could overload the muscles of the forearms quickly.