St. Croix Horsshoe Questions

richcottrell

I am going to take the jump and get some starter horseshoes.

I have a friend who has a horse farm so I had him get me a few used shoes. The smell used, and they will not budge so I will now buy some new...

There is some great info here already, but I am a bit confused...

I plan on staying with the beginner stuff and I guess I will stick with St Croix for now.

Question is:

Are the Ultralite #2 and Ultralite #1 the same as Ultralite Rim #2 and Ultralite Rim #1?

No they are not. One is rimmed and the other isn't. It's tough to explain other than that. You will have to see for yourself. But in terms of toughness the rimmed is a little tougher because it digs into your leg a little more. Once your pain tolerance builds up they will feel exactly the same.

Don't buy too many. They are very easy and you will kill them fast. I can open them up on my chest barehanded. Buy some Polo shoes as well. They are tougher and will challenge you once you get the technique down.

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 2

I have ever only found ultra-lites in the rim version. If you find ultra-lites in a plain, let me know so I can buy some. I would suggest, like EJ has, not to purchase too many Ultra-lites because they are quite easy. However if you want shoes to try new techiques with or use to introduce other people to horseshoe bending, it's good to have a few of these lying around.

yes that progression list that Jedd has on his diesel crew site is where I found out about the St. Croix shoes to begin with. Great resource!

I even printed it out.

But just like JHenze pointed out, it seems like most places sell the Ultralite Rim shoes but not the regular Ultralite shoes.

It also seems like the Polo in size #2 is not as available.

One site that does seem to sell it [www.anvilbrand.com] says it is "discontinued".

I honestly never did put much thought into this whole horseshoe bending business, but after watching the Stanless Steel documentary and finally reading the Mighty Atom book, I want to give this a try.

I got Jedd's Hammering Horseshoes DVD on the way... but I now need to get myself some practice shoes.

thank you EJ for that great info on Rim vs non-rim Ultralite. Just the kind of info I need.

I do have another question:

Is the Polo shoe the same as a "Polo Front"?

[as seen here: http://www.farriersdepot.com/stcroixpolofront.aspx]

thanks guys for the input.

rich

Yeah the ultralite rim is incorrectly named on well-shod, they also sell bulk shoes pretty cheap. The polo 2 is kinda weird, after i got the polo 0 i had the dc1 in a bag. Good luck dude

Jose,

when you say "dc1" that means the "Diamond Classic One" correct?

Yup, they vary quite a bit, but most i ran into were bendable for me. One i still have with like a 45 degree kink in it. On a side note hearted shoes make great gifts for people as paper weights and desk ornaments. My friends love em.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I totally had a "Tank" moment and didn't put this together. It would have been great to talk/bend some shoes with you at Gripmas. Did you have a chance to talk to Nick at all while he was bending shoes after the comp?

Tear, I coined a phrase. Next year I think we should have name tags with our gripboard user names!

No I just watched Nick casually bend the shoes. I was already feeling too humbled to even try to have someone give me a crash course.

But I did buy some shoes. I had even brough a few with me that day...

It is going to be my 2016 project.

But I did buy some shoes. I had even brough a few with me that day...

I almost stopped on the drive in to buy some shoes. Now I am sad I missed this opportunity. Please keep me posted on how your project is coming along and if I can help with anything, let me know.

OK fellas so a few weeks ago i ordered those shoes from two online supply companies.

I used "Farriers Depot" to get those UltraLite 1 and 2 shoes. Shipping for 5 pairs of shoes cost me $9

and I used "A.A. Classier" to get the Polo shoes. This company sells their shoes a singles. They had a free shipping offer so that was just what I needed.

Both companies shipped real fast.

I had to use two different companies in order to get the two different types of beginner shoes from St. Croix.

I also bought one of those St. Croix Plain Reg #3 shoes just so I could see what a real advanced shoe looked like in person.

Wow.

anyway,

So today I finally put on Jedd's Hammering Horseshoes DVD i while I gave one of those UltraLite2's a try. I used single FBBC suede wraps.

I was too impatient to watch the DVD first so I did this all together...

Not the smartest way to get into it, but i was multitasking right?

I know, I should have watch the video first... but I am not a patient man.

Here is a picture of how it went...

It took me a while to find that spot where the kink happens. It took me a long time to get there actually, but as soon as found it, that shoe just bent so nicely. What a cool feeling. I hope I can find it faster next time.

Then the crush...

I could only just get it partially. I got to about the 1/2 way point and decided it was time to stop [because my one hand had gotten a nice quarter size blister and I still wanted to train grip tonight.

After this first attempt i learned:

I need to work on my wrist strength for sure.

I am going to put those other shoes in a drawer and come back to this in about month's time.

thanks again,

rich

post-23316-0-96269900-1450290786_thumb.j

• Like 1

Watch the vid a couple more times. Give the blister a few days to heal. I bet you smoke the next one in less than a minute.

• 3 months later...

I will admit lack of sleep and too much beer has kept me off course, but last night I tried my 4th horseshoe.  

I was a little worried as last time I tried my right shoulder hurt for a week.

This 4th time did not seem to agrivate anything so that's a good thing. This fourth time out would be my first time with anyone watching... My 8 year old son.  

It was the first time I got it to bend back into itself.  Not an official heart, but it is a start.   

Here is a picture of my progress.  I am not sure why the pictures show up upside down... Again these are St. Croix Ultralite #2 your looking at.   

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

On November 28, 2015 at 1:44 PM, Tommy J. said:

Also, just an fyi, the plane reg #3 is considered the red nail bend of horse shoes.

I dig bending the shoes. And still get excited for people when they start getting into shoe bending. Have fun with it.

so what would be considered the Gold Nail of horse shoes?

Edited by richcottrell

Kerckhaert DF front clipped 10x25 Extra #3 I would guess.  Since Jason is the only one who has bent it under certain conditions.

• 4 months later...

Well I have tried  few more times. Here is the spread. I had moved onto the Polo 2 and then ran out and went back to the Ultralite 1.  

From  left to right here  are my first bends and more recent attempts

Rich

image.jpeg

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 3