Ball Rotations / Injury Prevention

Grind

I’ve read the book The Grip Master’s Manual from John Brookfield and also see some of you guys do ball rotations (dexterity work). I just started doing them after getting another injury, first with golf balls and now with solid steel balls. I was wondering if members using them noticed any improvement at all for example gaining strength or better muscles balance in the hands/forearms.

Are there members here that did them on a regular basis and still got injuries?

I use them several times a week just to get some blood moving in the fingers and thumb. I've only noticed an increase in coordination and endurance with them. I actually use two hitch balls that were stripped out so I cut the stud off them.

I use them several times a week just to get some blood moving in the fingers and thumb. I've only noticed an increase in coordination and endurance with them. I actually use two hitch balls that were stripped out so I cut the stud off them.

Did you had injuries before doing these rotations?

And if so do you think the risk of an injury has decreased since doing rotations?

I have some 2.2 kg shots I do rotations with, mostly for active recovery, but I think its also good for dexterity and strength for the stabilizers. I still think injuries may occur, but you will at least be more well rounded in handstrength.

• Like 1

I use the 8lb shots. Haven't seen drastic strength increases. Endurance is 10x better since using them. Got them year ago and could only get 9 rotations.... Now I'm pushing 60 per hand/250 if i alternate. The benefits of this mean I am not getting inflammation and can heal faster from tough grip sessions.

• Like 2

I have the IM balls and shots plus a pair of 3 and 4 KG shots. Haven't used them in a long time.

I use the 8lb shots. Haven't seen drastic strength increases. Endurance is 10x better since using them. Got them year ago and could only get 9 rotations.... Now I'm pushing 60 per hand/250 if i alternate. The benefits of this mean I am not getting inflammation and can heal faster from tough grip sessions.

John Brookfield says that these rotations have a positive effect on the smallest fingers of the hand because we don't use them at there full potential. If these fingers function better because of these rotations you gain overall strength. Have you noticed this aspect?

What specific injuries are you getting?

It's a balance problem I think. First time I got trigger points in my extensors after intensive revolving deadlift training. After some months training with grippers again I got trggerpoints in my extensors. I also trained with expand your hand bands. I want my hands and forearms to become healthy and stay healthy when I pick up my training again.

I've got some 2-1/4" ball bearings, they live in the couch cushions. I use them whenever I'm watching something, a few times a week maybe. If you're talking 2kg a pair that's 2.5" diameter. 2kg each would be a little over 3" diameter. The_ball_man on ebay has the best prices I've found for ball bearings (won't get your hands dirty like raw steel shot.)

It takes a good amount of strength, coordination, and endurance to hold the 2-1/4" ones upside down and rotate them. They tend to help work out any clicks or tendon hand-ups in the fingers. If you ever try to close a gripper and the end of your pinky just isn't gonna bend until you pop that joint, then you should definitely try them out.

Aliexpress (China) is a lot cheaper if I compare the prices.

I have bought 3x50mm and 2x65mm bearing balls.

If I buy a 80/100mm ball it will be shotballs I think.

Edited by Grind

I have the IM balls and shots plus a pair of 3 and 4 KG shots. Haven't used them in a long time.

I read you had some injuries from grippers. Did you use them prior to this injury?

Why have you stopped using them? Didn't you got any benefits from them?

The coordination and endurance got better with practice. It did not increase my gripper performance. But they are probably good for recovery workouts. Not sure why I stoped them. Just used them for a few weeks but stoped them long before I got injured.

What specific injuries are you getting?

It's a balance problem I think. First time I got trigger points in my extensors after intensive revolving deadlift training. After some months training with grippers again I got trggerpoints in my extensors. I also trained with expand your hand bands. I want my hands and forearms to become healthy and stay healthy when I pick up my training again.

I actually use a battery of quick simple exercises from Jedd's CBT ebook to target issues like you are describing.

I also have 8# shots after J.Vance was killing it with his shots. I made quick improvements with the rotations but saw no direct carry over to anything else. I no longer do the rotations but I use the shots for rotator exercises and throwing/drills.