Avasatu's Training Journal

avasatu

Bodyweight during workout: 165 lb

3/4/16: Grippers

Workout (right hand//left when needed):

All warmups swiped CCS. No squats, no opens/closes, nothing. Wrapped my pinkies and index middle sections in electrical tape.

CCS Grippers:

Guide x 10

Sport x 5

Trainer x 1

Point Five x 1

#1 x 1

#1.5 x 1 (3 m)

RB(96) x 1 (4 m)

#2(104) x 1 // SNM (4 m)

RB(110) x SNM // #2(104) x M (4 m)

RB(110) x 1 RH PR (3 m)

20 mm Choke:

HG250(120) x 1 (3 m)

GH6(125) x 1 // M (4 m)

#2.5(131) x 1 // HG250(120) x 1 (4 m)

RB(136) x NM // HG250(120) x 1 (2 m)

Went way down hill from here, so I quit. The two CCS maxes (one being a miss), plus the 20 mm PR tie and new PR attempt killed me.

Ending with some extensor work and side planks.

Notes: Felt good, esp. considering I did no warmups and still got a CCS PR of 110, on a Spectrum no less.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't posted in awhile, and will continue to post only sparsely. Very busy. Still training, though!

Some things I have done recently:

Pulled a 69 pound max on the 2 inch block IHP both hands. Weight was FAR out in front of me, and fully locked out. I am now running 5/3/1 on the same block using Gil Goodman's recommendations/assistance work.

Closed a Spectrum 110 CCS right handed. 

Finally curled 45 lb DBs 10 times with Fat Gripz on them.

Doing alot of Fat Gripz Bench speed work to compliment my regular bench heavy day. I am liking the results.

Started doing ulnar deviation with big sledge hammers once I found out my gym has a full set of them all the way upo to 20 lbs and starting down at 4 lbs.  Hard.

Ripped a 48 lb Hub both hands. Again, weight very far out in front of me this time.

Edited by avasatu
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

Current strength levels (164 BW):

Current program:

Back feeling better than ever. It really only effects my sleep, and only after 7 hours or so. Keep praying!

Arms noticeably larger and thicker.

All instances of 5/3/1 grip work use static holds as assistance work for 4 sets of 10 seconds (sometimes with swings).

Day 1: 5/3/1 Bench///Alternating Washer Pinch and IM Hub every other week on 5/3/1///HS Mid Row with a Low Row and Wide Row Grip///Plank Rotations for 3 minutes

Day 2: Standing Alternating Bicep Curls///Alternating DB Preacher Curls and Brachialis Curls every other week///V Bar 5/3/1///Pinch Block Curls///Some type of wrist extensor work///Finger Walk///Wrist Thingy

DAY OFF

Day 3: Standing DB Strict Press///Functional Trainer Rear Delt Shrugs///Pinch Block 5/3/1///Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns///DB Paused Skullcrushers//Going to be starting Light Romanian High Deadlifts

DAY OFF

Day 4: Grippers (Mostly set to between CCS and 20mm) and BW Squat drills.

DAY OFF

STRENGTH:

Bench: Hard to tell, but it hasn't gone up much. Finally up to my old strength levels from my old gym that had the much better benches. Better control of heavier weights for sure. Still around 275 paused close grip.

Washer Pinch: Somewhere strictly between 40 and 45 pounds. Definitely have improved.

IM Hub: 55 or so almost certainly, maybe higher. Still going up with no problem.

HS Row: In the low row position I Was rowing 3 plates and 35 pounds per side for 9. I have since backed down and am now doing paused sets of 10 in multiple positions for sets of 10.

Plank Rotations: Regular, and starfish sideplanks, 15 second intervals constantly rotating between plank types for 3 minutes, no rest between switches. 

Bicep Curls: 55s for 11 standing with no elbow motion. Gotten better for sure. I work on 60s now just about weekly.

VBar: Max slightly over 200 both sides. Just started running this weekly on a program a month ago or so.

Pinch Block Curls: I just started these two weeks ago, and only can do high rep hypertrophy sets at 15 pounds per side. Plan on just building a big base for up to 6 months. 

For wrist extensors: Either static holds in the reverse curl position with a 40 lb DB for up to 30 sec, or BB reverse curls with 90 lb for 10 or so reps.

Finger Walks: Have completed a 16 pound walk both sides (taking breaks left side).

Wrist Thingy: Not worth posting since it's not really about strength, but I work with 34 lb/44 lb/54 lb/64 lb for pronation/supination/radial deviation/ulnar deviation for high rep sets of 10-15 with super super strict paused form. Before wrist thingy, I had ulnar levered a 14 lb sledge both sides, and thumb web pain limited progress.

Just started shoulder and tricep work last week. Am really lacking there.

One Hand Pinch Block: Max right about 80 lb with weight way out in front of me. This has been my best progress on anything. Still rising. Thumbs are still my focus too.

Wide Grip Pulldowns: 210 for 5. This has gone way up.

Grippers; Closed my 120 HG250 between CCS and 20 mm blockset style. Past the #2 left hand also. Slow progress here, but not nothing.

The second layer bicep work, shoulders, and tricep work are all brand new, but I expect lots of good things there. Same with block curls and kinda V Bar. Some of this may seem like slow progress, but considering how much I do weekly, I am really happy, especially considering I haven;t gained weight and it won't be a year of grip until October. Expect great things from me in the future. 5/3/1 is awesome.

Edited by avasatu

• 5 weeks later...

BW:165 lb

Hand size: 7.1 inches

Some notable things recently:

Closed my 144 #3 from 16 mm using a strict slow close.

Closed my 131 #2.5 from 24 mm choked after a workout using a strict slow close.

80 lb 1HP

curling 60s for 6. 

Standing paused DB presses with 60s for 8. 

Have finger walked a 16 pound hammer, and ulnar levered a 14. Using 9 pounds on my pronation device for radial deviation and pronation. 

Have begun using both rate coding techniques for grippers as well as the crushing machine my gym has for grip assistance work.

VBar is on 5/3/1, so I don't know my max, but it has gone up substantially, and is definitely above 200 now. 

Switched to "strict" pause (no leg drive, pause on my shirt rather than letting bar sink into my chest) for close grip bench and am using mini bands with it. Hit bar weight 205 plus bands as a max. Im very happy with this considering how strict this type of benching is. 

Reverse curls with 90 lb BB for sets of 10.

Strict Wide Grip pull downs with 210 for working sets. Though I just plateaued so I'm moving back to wide grip pull-ups. 

I finally found a good vantage point in my gym as well as some decent buddies, so I should be able to start filming here and there. 

Edited by avasatu
  • Like 1

Not sure what happened, but my crushing strength went up substantially in less than one week. So much so that I now have to reprogram my crush day.

I did a 131 for slow closed 25 mm choker singles so many times that I got bored and ended the workout early. I was also unable to close my 126 at 17 mm slow-close last week left handed, but did 10 singles at 17 mm this week.

For reference, here is what I am doing currently:

Adjustable choker work:

Work up to a width and RGC in the range where I can SLOW close it for 5-10 singles with about 1-1.5 min rest between singles. When I hit 24-25 mm for 10 singles, move up to the next "nice" gripper (GHP, CoC, or HG; not an RB fan anymore). I continue to do singles until I either hit 10 or I know by feel that the next single would be the one that gases me out. This knowledge could hit me mid rep or between reps.

Afterwards, I rate code a 1.5 right handed and a 1 left handed for 5-8 singles with very minimal rest between reps. The exact gripper and reps and timings are bound to change, but I was following DoctorofCrush's methods there.

To end it, I go to my gym's crush machine and work up to a work set with weight I can get 6-10 reps of. When I hit 10 reps, add 5 pounds for the next week.

I am fairly confident I can MMS my 131 #2.5 at this point. I also hit a 184 on my hand dyno right handed a couple weeks ago...I wonder if that too has gone up? I guess time will tell...

Weigh 166.

Edited by avasatu

sorry to bump in or crash, i can't seem to start a new topic. i did a good hour last thursday , on a certain adjustable gripper. nothing since. palms are still sore. any advice? thank you all.

Recent stuffs (BW 165):

Today's Grippers (posting RH only):

144 #3 x 7 singles @ 16 mm slow close 

Rate coding #1.5 x 7 singles w/ 1 count overcrushes

Old Crush Machine: up to 55 lb x 10

Ironmind Green Band: 50 reps strict

Some other assorted stuff:

Weighted Pullups: +45 lb x 9 wide grip, all from dead hangs.

Kneeling block curled 20 lb for a double

Close Grip Bench + Mini Bands with strict pauses, no leg drive: 155 bar weight x 10 (205ish bottom, 225ish top).

Standing Paused DB Press: 60s x 7 Two Handed, 60 x 5 One Handed

My bicep training is now being done arm wrestling style. This comes after a very inspiring chat I had with James Retarides.

Will be going down to do some training with Kody Burns when he will have me. Super excited and thankful for that opportunity.

Ordered some 2.375 inch dexterity balls from Gil today. I have been needing something to keep blood moving in my fingers during off days, and stress balls don't cut it these days. His pricing is unbeatable, too.

Edited by avasatu
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, avasatu said:

Ordered some 2.375 inch dexterity balls from Gil today. I have been needing something to keep blood moving in my fingers during off days, and stress balls don't cut it these days. His pricing is unbeatable, too.

Is he selling dexterity balls on the BSS website?  Or just a one-time deal?  I would like to buy some for my brother. 

I obviously don't want to speak for him, but he told me he plans to sell them soon, and I believe he has extras. They do have mill scale, so you won't be getting the typical shiny dexterity balls. However, I think that's irrelevant especially considering the price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, avasatu said:

I obviously don't want to speak for him, but he told me he plans to sell them soon, and I believe he has extras. They do have mill scale, so you won't be getting the typical shiny dexterity balls. However, I think that's irrelevant especially considering the price.

Very cool, thanks for the info!  I may buy one just for my daughter to use as a tiny glob. 

Do you have the link for the dexterity balls? I've been wanting a pare but IM pric is kinda far fetch 

Bodyweight: 167 lb

Recent PRs:

CoC #3 (144) choked to 18 mm x 6 singles, closed slowly, right handed.

Weighted Wide Grip Pullups: +45 lb x 10, each from dead hang.

Close Grip Bench, Paused, No Leg Drive: 165 lb bar weight + short mini bands x 9 (215-235 lb). 

Started strict pressing again, sad at how weak I've become at the movement: up to 125 x 7, paused on collarbones.

Discovering that variety is the name of the game. Introducing LOTS of movements into my program and keeping track of all of them. Not scared to try different intensity levels for each movement at this point, either. 

For close grip bench: rotating 5/3/1 on straight weight, minis, and monster minis. Rotations end immediately upon plateauing. 

For overhead press: rotating strict press, strict standing db press, and strict standing one hand db press WEEKLY. I don't even wait for the plateau to hit for shoulders. 

For pinch day 2: anything is game. finger walks, hub, washer pinch, speed block work, farmer's walks with x 10 pound plates, crush machine pinch attachment  (2 hand, 1 hand, thumb under, over, thumb to side, thumb in front). 

For pinch day 1 (main day): I plateaued recently on 5/3/1 for 2" block deadlifts. Now I am on a program James Retarides mentioned to me: start with 80-85% of max, do 7 sets of 2 as quickly as possibly with perfect form (decent rest between sets), then go for an 8th set of 3. Based on your ability to perform this set, microload next week.

For crush: Same game plan still. Have not plateaued and my crush day includes good variety as is.

For biceps: training like an arm wrestler. Lots of different preacher curl and spider curl variations, rotating weekly and using the 7x2, 1x3 described above.

For wrists: STILL no plateaus. Up to the 10 pounder on pronation and radial deviation on my "pronator" stick, and over 60 pounds for high reps for supination on the wrist thingy. Not training ulnar deviation at the moment, because everything I do rips into my thumb webbing. Everything. Block curl variations for wrist flexors, reverse curl variations for wrist extensors, all rotating weekly. 

For lower body: My back is as good as it has been in almost 3 years. Slowly beginning to hit the legs hard now. Lots of isometric squat holds with the shoulders in a variety of positions, sled work including pull throughs, romanian rack deadlifts, and barbell hip thrusts with both 1 and 2 legs. Planks and side planks as well. Slowly but surely building the back back up. I am thankful for God's healing thus far. 

Assortments of special exercises to support main goals: *Snatch grip shrugs with shoulder rotation on Smith machine. EXCELLENT for posture and for supporting scapular retraction during presses. *Wide Grip weighted pullups. When I plateau here, I go back to wide grip pulldowns. *Hammer Strength Wide and Low Rows. *Rear Delts on a functional trainer. Using a couple movements I made up which SMASH the rear delts. And a host of other things! 

Been blessed to have had alot of enlightening conversations with people lately, both on the gripboard and in the gym. There is a really strong 195er who works out on my schedule who regularly shows me tips and tricks for strengthening presses while I show him grip stuff. 

Using dexterity balls on days off. 60 reps per hand 3 times per day. Added in some new broomstick warmup drills. Learning, learning, learning is the name of the game at this point. Still using heat contrast baths when I feel I need them. Not doing any stretching or tissue work unless I really feel I need it (it's been several months). 

Thick bar is out of my program at the moment. I REALLY want to focus on crush, pinch, wrists, and biceps for the time being.

Edited by avasatu

One arm strict pressed, paused on shoulder: 60 lb DB x 7 last night. 

Wide grip weighted pullups from dead hangs: +55 x 7 as well.

Body weight of 165. 

I haven't posted much pinch grip progress on here lately...I'm using alot of microloading and I started lighter so the weights are still submaximal. Within 2-3 weeks they should be back to where they are post-worthy.

I also discovered a phenomenal wrist exercise: Wrist Wrench from an overhand position. Felt great and taxing in a pleasant way. Worked up to 55 lb x 10 each side. 

I also ordered a flask! This is to give me something to train on when I plateau on the 2" block. I like having plenty of options when it comes to exercises.

I am trying out a theoretical pinch assistance movement based on Kody Burns' euro tipping over supination principle he talked about when he was in the grip well. After my main pinch sets, I do 8-10 sec. static holds with lighter weights and do 5 sharp but controlled supinations from overhand to just short of 90 degrees during the hold. This is quite taxing on the thumb in a way that I hope proves beneficial.

Current BW: 167 lbs.

Recents:

225 x 8 close grip paused bench, straight weight. Lifetime PR.

65s x 5 standing paused overhead press, really fat PR.

Flask arrived! Pulled a 74 pound max. I can REALLY tell this is going to be a much more effective grip tool than my 2 inch block. My thumbs were fried after my first session. I also plan to take Jared's advice and switch up chalks. My current average joe bulk chalk is super guilty of the "ball bearing" effect. I also should probably "season" the flask a bit more.

Closed my 144 CoC #3 from 19 mm choked for 3 singles last crush workout. Left hand also continues to improve.

Lots of other cool and small stuff has happened. I mean LOTS. Just too tedious/small to post here. I am introducing TONS of variety into my programming. Some might say too much. But it has jumpstarted my gains once again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Do you ever use an adjustable gripper like RB, Vatiz or Vulcan? Also do you do any cardio running?

No adjustable grippers, and I do a short cardio warmup each workout incline fast walking on a treadmill. For my next training cycle, however, I Plan to do sets of sled pushes between grippers. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

Bodyweight: 165

Some routine and programming changes:

No more set schedule. Or, more precisely, workouts are not going to be landing on specific days. I will still be shooting for a weekly schedule, but I will be completing my successive workouts when I feel I am recovered enough, not when the calendar beckons. For example, I took an extra day off before today's workout, partly because of living legends last weekend, and partly because I tore my thumb web Thursday. I think it's best to listen to your body rather than a calendar.

Next thing, I couldn't understand why I wasn't able to MMS. I figured out that it's my hand length (slightly over 7 inches), but, more prominently, my finger length. If I set like Paul Knight does, which I believe is the proper way, I literally have to push the gripper over an inch with my off hand totally alone before I can even BEGIN walking it. Yea, yea, I know it's an excuse, but it's a pretty good one. For this reason I am going to continue focusing on choked grippers to a variety of widths, and I am going to begin filing grippers somewhat soon. I also plan to focus on CCS and TNS at times, with the best set and positioning as I possibly can. I know that I should not neglect it completely.

It's a joke watching me try to MMS these things, I tell you. I literally have trouble setting a #2, but can almost TNS it. That tells me something is mechanically or structurally off. My chest, biceps, and wrists are strong, so it's not that. My actual set mechanics are at least average. I know exactly what I am supposed to do. Paul Knight literally showed me in person for 30 minutes, and I have spent quite some time on it in the past. I'm just gonna push through and work on it as best I can, but as a secondary crush goal. At the end of the day, I wanna have fun doing this as well as get stronger at it. If I suffer in competition, that's totally fine with me. In fact, my performance in competition is secondary to me getting stronger, and I believe choked grippers test raw crushing power better than set grippers do.

Lastly, I have been doing 40-80 minutes of contrast baths a day, in the way Kody describes in the grip well. Sometimes hands only, sometimes forearms as well. Mix it up. All my off days now have alot of active recovery light work as well: medium dexterity balls throughout the day forward and backward, light extensor band variational exercises, CoC guide reps, stress ball, and heat baths, etc.

Anyway, today I did choked grippers, and set a fairly large PR:

I did sled pushes between each gripper set, and I LOVED it. I will definitely continue doing this.

144 #3 from 20 mm for 4 singles right handed, super strict, slow close, held each for 1-2 seconds at close.

Left hand got alot stronger too, closing my 125 GHP 6 from 19 mm for 5 singles, each held 3 seconds at close, in the same fashion.

I then did some volume work on the crushing machine, getting up to 60 for 7 reps holding each rep for a second at close, stopping about 2 reps short of failure so as not to overdo things. No body motion whatsoever, either.

Then I did some rate coding, using 1.5 right handed for 4 singles, #1 left handed. 

It probably seems weird that I close my heavy attempts with no explosiveness, or with slow speed. This is because I think this increases actual base strength, whereas putting explosiveness into your crushes is more of a peak power strengthener. Don't get me wrong, I DO work speed (ala rate coding), and I WILL be working explosive high intensity closes in the future (as competitions with grippers near), but for NOW, I am not going to fix what's not broken.

Edited by avasatu
  • Like 1

Yesterday was:

Close grip paused bench, worked up to 235 for 4 and no back down set, just coming off Deload and in the middle of a 5/3/1 cycle, so I don't wanna push it immediately. 

IM Hub, 15 reps at 40 pounds, 15 reps 36 pounds, 15 reps 32 pounds, minimal rest.

Then finger walks, 8 pound sledge, 3 walks per side, minimal rest. 

Then 100 click reps in key pinch position with mini pony clamp with 4 tiny rubber bands double wrapped around the tip for some hypertrophy work.

finished with some wide grip grip hammer strength rows up to 250, 10 reps, and some pull throughs for glutes using a sled loaded with 160 in plates.  

166 BW. 

Got 2.5 crusher, final form v bar with 2 inch head, and 2 inch wrist roller all from fbbc today, just in time for thickbar tomorrow...

Edited by avasatu

First day of actual thickbar training today:

Warmed up with preacher curls, getting up to 40 lb x 15 on a dumbbell. Got that blood moving around! Did some wrist roller with my new 2 inch guy, all directions. One of the best warmups I have ever had.

Ripped a 124 max on 2.5 Crusher, then did some volume. 

Then PRd on block curl, hitting 20 lb x 8.

Did wrist roller for a little more volume and time under tension to hit the extensors.

Then hit supination and pronation on the wrist thingy, and did some front pickaxe work with a sledge (more just messed around here).

Bodyweight was 165.

On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 8:40 PM, avasatu said:

Bodyweight: 165

Some routine and programming changes:

No more set schedule. Or, more precisely, workouts are not going to be landing on specific days. I will still be shooting for a weekly schedule, but I will be completing my successive workouts when I feel I am recovered enough, not when the calendar beckons. For example, I took an extra day off before today's workout, partly because of living legends last weekend, and partly because I tore my thumb web Thursday. I think it's best to listen to your body rather than a calendar.

Next thing, I couldn't understand why I wasn't able to MMS. I figured out that it's my hand length (slightly over 7 inches), but, more prominently, my finger length. If I set like Paul Knight does, which I believe is the proper way, I literally have to push the gripper over an inch with my off hand totally alone before I can even BEGIN walking it. Yea, yea, I know it's an excuse, but it's a pretty good one. For this reason I am going to continue focusing on choked grippers to a variety of widths, and I am going to begin filing grippers somewhat soon. I also plan to focus on CCS and TNS at times, with the best set and positioning as I possibly can. I know that I should not neglect it completely.

It's a joke watching me try to MMS these things, I tell you. I literally have trouble setting a #2, but can almost TNS it. That tells me something is mechanically or structurally off. My chest, biceps, and wrists are strong, so it's not that. My actual set mechanics are at least average. I know exactly what I am supposed to do. Paul Knight literally showed me in person for 30 minutes, and I have spent quite some time on it in the past. I'm just gonna push through and work on it as best I can, but as a secondary crush goal. At the end of the day, I wanna have fun doing this as well as get stronger at it. If I suffer in competition, that's totally fine with me. In fact, my performance in competition is secondary to me getting stronger, and I believe choked grippers test raw crushing power better than set grippers do.

Lastly, I have been doing 40-80 minutes of contrast baths a day, in the way Kody describes in the grip well. Sometimes hands only, sometimes forearms as well. Mix it up. All my off days now have alot of active recovery light work as well: medium dexterity balls throughout the day forward and backward, light extensor band variational exercises, CoC guide reps, stress ball, and heat baths, etc.

Anyway, today I did choked grippers, and set a fairly large PR:

I did sled pushes between each gripper set, and I LOVED it. I will definitely continue doing this.

144 #3 from 20 mm for 4 singles right handed, super strict, slow close, held each for 1-2 seconds at close.

Left hand got alot stronger too, closing my 125 GHP 6 from 19 mm for 5 singles, each held 3 seconds at close, in the same fashion.

I then did some volume work on the crushing machine, getting up to 60 for 7 reps holding each rep for a second at close, stopping about 2 reps short of failure so as not to overdo things. No body motion whatsoever, either.

Then I did some rate coding, using 1.5 right handed for 4 singles, #1 left handed. 

It probably seems weird that I close my heavy attempts with no explosiveness, or with slow speed. This is because I think this increases actual base strength, whereas putting explosiveness into your crushes is more of a peak power strengthener. Don't get me wrong, I DO work speed (ala rate coding), and I WILL be working explosive high intensity closes in the future (as competitions with grippers near), but for NOW, I am not going to fix what's not broken.

With my I.M 2.5, I'm in the same situation as you. I am like 10-15 milimeters from TNS closing it, but I just suck at setting heavy grippers (especially for mms). They take up too much energy so I usually don't try mms, though am planning to try choking grippers or training setting lighter grippers and progressively increase from there as my hands get used to the motion.

Choker work is just much more fun for me, and fun is the name of the game. Some might call it lazy, sure, and that's fine. It's just brute crushing power. I hate wasting, time, energy, and thought on the set. I will train with set grippers in the future, of course, particularly if I become more and more invested in competing, but for now, I just want to improve pure crush numbers.

20 hours ago, avasatu said:

Ripped a 124 max on 2.5 Crusher, then did some volume. 

First time training thickbar that's really good!! 

• Like 1