Avasatu's Training Journal

avasatu

2/07/16: Bench/V Bar/Row

BW going into workout: 165 lb

5/3/1 Training Maxe: 260 bench

Squats and Rear Delts between all bench sets until after first work set. Heat bath 30 min before.

Close Grip Bench, 3 count paused on chest:

bar x 20

95 lb. x 10

135 x 8

170 x 5

195 x 5

220 x 5

170 x 10

Capping reps at 5/3/1 amounts regardless of how much I can push it now to increase recovery and preserve gains.

2" Sorinex V Bar Handle:

96 x 5

122 x 1

141 x 1 (4 min)

167 x 1 (4 min) PR

172 x 1 (5 min) PR

178 x 1 (5 min) PR wtf haha

183 x NM (3 min)

141 x 5 (4 min)

141 x 5 (4 min)

141 x 5 (4 min)

28 pound PR from two weeks ago. Seems good. That said, I think I'm not going to pursue this lift. It rips up my hand skin, the technique is a nightmare to try to duplicate precisely rep after rep, I strongly dislike doing it (unusual for a grip exercise), and, worst of all, biomechnically, it's just asking for injury. The way the wrist is positioned makes me cringe thinking about it. The risk of bicep tear seems extremely high, too. After giving it alot of thought, I really want to pursue pinch and crush, so V Bar is going to come out and be replaced by the washer pinch I used to do. Wrist Wrench will stay. I will return to V Bar for sure, if for no other reason than it's in competitions. Maybe I will train it once every couple months. It's the kind of lift I think where you really don't need to do much to boost it since it's so technique/CNS oriented.

Skipped all else. Wasn't planning on that kind of huge PR, so it took me a long time to finish the V Bar workout, and I decided it was just better to give my body more recovery after.

Notes: Felt good tonight. Will stretch/floss and do heat baths and active recovery stuff.

Edited by avasatu

Pretty sure the 1 inch v bar hasn't been used in competition as much because of the fear of bicep tears. I have an fbbc jug which is like a v bar trainer but don't use it much.

There are just so many factors that make me put v bar on the lowest end of the priority list. If anything, I would guess 2 inch is tougher on the bicep tendon, no? And yes, I prefer this type of V Bar handle over an actual V Bar because of both the material and the degrees of freedom. I'm told it's slightly harder, too, because it's tougher to produce a pendulum effect (something you'd see in an adam glass v bar pull), and there's more wobble.

Edited by avasatu

Yeah my FBBC jug doesn't hold chalk well. I just focus on block weights, grippers, rolling thunders, and wrist exercises with wrist wrench/top roller strong and IM heavy hammer.

• Like 1

2/8/16: Arms/Wrists

BW going into workout: 164 lb

Squats for CNS between all sets of first movement. Contrast bath 30 min before workout.

Strict Alternating Standing DB Curl:

20s x 10

30s x 8

40s x 5

50s x 2

60s x 4 L // 5 R

60s were harder than I imagined. Never touched them before.

Two Arm Cable Reverse Curl:

100 lb x 17 PR

Paused (at full flexion and right before the fingers open) BB Over the Bench Wrist Flexor Curls:

50 lb x 20,12,10,8 with 10 seconds between sets.

PR for work capacity

Paused (at full contraction and extension) DB Bench Reverse Wrist Curls:

15 lb x 10

25 lb x 14 L // 16 R

PR RH.

With "The Pronator":

Standing Table Supported Pronation: 6 lb x 7 L // 10 R RH PR

Standing Table Supported Supination: 6 lb x 15 // 15 PR

Seated Table Supported Radial Deviation: 6 lb. x 11 L // 16 R PR

Standing Ulnar Deviation: 8 lb x 14 L // 16 R PR

These were all done with full ROM, pauses at both ends.

Notes: Everything felt good. Stretch/floss and heat bath today for recovery.

I plan to skip all deviation/pronation/supination two weeks from now to give it some extra recovery. I feel it would benefit from it. I say two weeks because that's my next DB curl week. Doing DB curls every other week again. Really seems to be best.

Edited by avasatu

Sorinex has a 2" V Bar attachment made of powder coated steel. Not sure how lifts on it compare to the FBBC V Bar, but I only managed 152 my first try. And yes, I train with a Sorinex 2" block weekly.

I just got to try a friend's brand new Sorinex 2" vbar attachment a few days ago. Have not trained 2" vbar in over a year. But I liked the feel of it. Pulled 220x1, 240x1, then 250lbs both left and right hands. Then failed to budge 275 with either hand.

I saw that you were interested in what the comparison to the FBBC 2" vbar is. So this morning I loaded up my FBBC 2" vbar for the first time in a long time. Ended with a best pull of 260lbs on both hands.

Hope that helps.

By the way, if you are interested in getting rid of your Sorinex 2" vbar handle, let me know if you want to sell it or do a gripper trade for it.

Hey man, thanks for the reply.

Well, I do plan on doing V Bar with this handle in the future, so I wouldn't want to trade unless you had a CPW 140, 136, or 100 (possibly +/- 1 RGC on any of those), and I certainly won't sell.

I just have it on the absolute bottom of my priority list and I have zero doubt I can get to low to mid 200s with almost no real intelligent effort, so it's just not worth it at the moment. Slow recovery, tears my hands up, weird technique, and just not a fun lift for me.

And yes, you are not the only one to say that actual V Bar is easier. I know someone who can pull 270ish on the V Bar and only 250 on this handle. Thanks alot for that comparison, by the way. The fact that you still had that level of lift after a year of ignoring it also definitely says something to me as well. I assume gripper and regular thickbar maintains and even improves V Bar without even training V Bar itself.

Edited by avasatu

Workout Bodyweight: 164 lb

2/10/16: Press/Block Pinch

Contrast before workout. Squats for CNS. Rear delt flies between Press sets. Opens/Closes/Rolls between pinch sets.

Seated DB Shoulder Press (paused on shoulders, full extension):

45s x 8

55s x 6

65s x 3

75s x 6

2" Sorinex Overhand One Hand Block Pinch (RH // LH) :

48 lb. x 5

54 x 1

58 x 1

64 x 5 (4 min)

64 x 5

64 x 10 R // 20 L then 2 more right

PR. 

Reps were done alternating sides. 

Pullup Stuff:

Typewriters feel weird and stressy on the joints on this gyms pullup bar (it's not an actual bar), so I decided to go for weighted ultra wide, thumbless pullups:

bw x 5

+25 lb x 5

+45 x 3,2,1,1,3,3 starting ultrawide and moving in every set, 10-20 seconds between sets only.

This pullup bar is both thicker and less grippy than the one at my old gym, and the grip goes much wider. I was kidding myself before when I was doing sets of 8-10 with BW +45 "ultrawide" at my old gym. Got some work to do. However, pullups are bothering my hip sciatica. Especially one handed stuff. Gonna nix the one hand stuff and try out just good old thumbless wide weighted stuff. It's not my form for sure, which is strict as can possibly be on pullups I think. My back isn't feeling too good right now, so something needs to change there.

Functional Trainer Rear Delt Flies (2 Handed):

lvl13 x 20, switching top hand at 10.

Thumb Ring (pauses at top and at full extension) (2 handed):

15 lb. x 10

15 x 10

15 x 10

Notes: Felt good. Sick Pinch PR, tied my Shoulder Press and rear delts. Upped dynamic thumb volume.  Pullups/low back kinda garbage, but oh well. Persist and pray!

Edited by avasatu

Bodyweight during workout: 164 lb

2/12/16: Grippers

Workout (right hand//left when needed):

All warmups swiped CCS. Between warmups, fast opens/closes and squats for 10-30 reps. Between worksets, I switch to expand bands for 20-30 reps and wrist rolls. I also did a short heat bath 30 minutes prior to workout. Wrapped my pinkies and indexes in electrical tape because there is some soft skin patching there.

Guide x 10

Sport x 5

Trainer x 1

Point Five x 1

#1 x 1

#1.5 x 1

CCS Heavier Warmups/Work (Right // Left):

Spectrum (96) x 1 (3 min)

#2 (104) x 1 // SNM (3 min)

GHP5 (107) x 1 Right Handed.

PR. Yea! Have a video of it, but you can't really see the close for more than a split second because I don't know how to frickin film these closes while keeping my hand on screen. If anyone really cares to see it, I will post it.

20 mm Choke (19 mm if Spectrum) (Right // Left):

Spectrum (113) x 1 (3 min)

HG250 (120) x 1 (3 min)

GHP6 (125) x 1 // Miss (2 min)

#2.5 (131) x 1 // HG250 (120) x 1 (2 min)

#2.5 (131) x SNM (bad placement) // HG250 (120) x SNM (bad placement) (2 min)

#2.5 (131) x 1 // Spectrum (113) x 1 (2 min)

GHP6 (125) x 1 // Spectrum (113) x 1 (2 min)

GHP6 (125) x either 1 or SNM, hard to tell // Spectrum (113) x 1 (2 min)

HG250 (120) x 1 // GH5 (107) x 1 (2 min)

HG250 (120) x 2 // GH5 (107) x 2 (2 min)

Notes: Felt really good. Massage, Scraping, Stretching/Flossing, Heat Bath.

Nice workout. I can give you an advise with the filming. Don't try to place your hand on screen. Place the camera on your hand. Take note where your hand is when you close a gripper then set up the camera so it captures that spot perfectly. Trying to get the hand on screen while trying to PR is very difficult and it takes focus away from actually doing the feat. 

• Like 1

2/14/16: Bench/Hub/Row

BW going into workout: 164 lb

5/3/1 Training Maxe: 260 bench

Squats and Rear Delts between all bench sets until after first work set. Heat bath 30 min before.

bar x 20

95 lb x 10

135 x 8

165 x 3

180 x 3

210 x 3

235 x 3 (2 in tank)

180 x 10

IM Hub (vertical fingers) (right // left):

No more alternating sides.

32 lb x 5

37 x 2

40 x 1

43 x 5 (4 min)

43 x 5 (4 min)

43 x 10//6

PR

Video of first set of 5: 

HS Mid Row (strict, two handed):

180 lb x 10 (no straps)

270 x 10 (straps)

Finished with two sets of 60 step back crawls with a 45 lb plate.

Notes: Felt good tonight. RH better hubber. Stretch/floss, heat bath, and maybe some active recovery. First set of 5 for Hub below. Not sure how to really attach videos here properly.

IMG_0159.MOV

Edited by avasatu

2/15/16: Wrist(s) Wrench

Squats/Opens/Closes for CNS between all sets of WW. Contrast bath 30 min before workout. 

Wrist Wrench:

43 lb x 5

53 x 1

57 x 1

61 x 5 (4 min)

61 x 5 L // 3 R (4 min)

61 x 5 L // 1 R

Work PR. Left hand randomly ALOT better at WW unlike2 weeks ago. Last time the RH had a noticeably higher max. I was definitely stronger on this today than before. In my left hand in particular, I could have banged out a set of 8 instead of 5 on that first set, but following the program is always better.

Two Hand Cable Reverse Curl:

70 lb x 10

100 x 18

PR

15 lb x 10

25 lb x 5 L // 16 R

No idea what happened here on my left hand. I just couldn't do reverse wrist curls with it. I think the WW tired it out since it did so much more work than the RH. Did some holds with a 15 lb DB. For sure nothing injured.

With "The Pronator" (Paused at both ends, full ROM):

Standing Table Supported Pronation: 6 lb x 8 L // 11 R   PR

Standing Table Supported Supination: 6 lb x 13 

Seated Table Supported Radial Deviation: 6 lb. x 10 L // 17 R   RH PR

Standing Ulnar Deviation: 8 lb x 18 L // 19 R  PR

Did a bunch of Reverse Hypers.

Notes: Everything felt good. Wrist Wrench wrecked me again. Two weeks until I train it again. Next week I will do a total wrist deload for this workout. The only things I will be doing are fatgripz DB curls and DB wrist reverse curls (and anything non wrist related). Stretch/floss, some hand drills, and heat bath today for recovery.

6 minutes ago, vickg said:

Nice pulls on the hub man. Hope that wrist feels better.

Thanks man. Good for 50+ lb on it for sure. Wrist is fine. WW wrecked it, but in a good way. Only off thing was my left wrist weakness on the reverse wrist curls, but that can be explained, and I had no pain, so it's no big deal really.

Workout Bodyweight: 164 lb

2/17/16: Press/Block Pinch

Squats for CNS. Rear delt flies between Press sets. Opens/Closes/Rolls between pinch sets.

Seated DB Shoulder Press (paused on shoulders, full extension):

45s x 8

55s x 5

65s x 3

75s x 7

PR

37 lb. x 5

48 x 1

58 x 1

63 x 1

68 x 5 (4 min)

68 x 5 (4 min)

68 x 10 R // 12 L

PR

Reps were NOT done alternating. Gives too much rest to thumbs. 2 minutes rest, then:

48 lb x 10 sec hold (away from body) (2 min)

48 x 10 sec hold (2 min)

48 x 10 sec hold

Neutral Grip Wide Grip Pulldowns (pause at full extension):

Worked up to 195 x 6 (straps) easy. Could have done 210 for 6, but since these vertical lat motions seem to bother my hip sciatica slightly, I have to be ultra strict to avoid symptom onset.

Rear delts are out of the program. Not necessary, and I'm in the gym too long as it is sometimes. Back walks, rows, pulldowns, and the rear delt drill I do between pressing sets are enough.

15 lb. x 10

15 x 10

15 x 10

15 x 10

As per some advice from Kody, I will revert back to a light week of 2 sets of these next week, adding only 1.25 pounds to the ring. In this way I will cycle light, medium, and heavy on my dynamic thumb ring stuff.

Notes: Felt good. I'm going to try doing little to no recovery except heat bathing, and just making my warmups as thorough as possible instead. No stretching, no massage, no scraping. May still do active recovery drills sometimes. This decision comes after a nice chat I had with a fellow gripboard member and alot of careful thought.

Story time: A bunch of guys wanted to try out block pinch tonight once I reached my 58 lb warmup single. They all chalked up and no one budged it. These are serious lifters for the most part, of all shapes and sizes (but all anywhere from decently to pretty darn strong). Then a big power and olympic lifter came up, and, with no prior grip training, picked up the 58 WAY out in front of him and essentially rowed the block all the way up to his chin with both hands (1HP, of course). I felt pretty humbled by that. There are SO many people ripe for grip training out there. I was basically begging him to start training, but he's too into his current stuff, which is cool. When I asked him why his thumbs were that strong despite never using them, he cited with confidence that it was his deadlifting. Sigh. The world of strength is a strange place.

Edited by avasatu

Bodyweight during workout: 164 lb

2/12/16: Grippers

All warmups swiped CCS. Between warmups, fast opens/closes and squats for 10-30 reps. Between worksets, I switch to expand bands for 20-30 reps and wrist rolls. I also did a short heat bath 30 minutes prior to workout. Wrapped my pinkies and index middle sections in electrical tape.

Guide x 10

Sport x 5

Trainer x 1

Point Five x 1

#1 x 1

#1.5 x 1

CCS Work (swiped):

Right Hand: Spectrum (96) x 1 for 10 sets, 2 minutes between singles. Last set was a double. Big work capacity PR for sure. 

Left Hand: GHP4 (90) x 1 for 10 sets, 2 minutes between singles. Last set was a double.  Strength and huge work capacity PR for sure!

Took 3 minutes, then:

#1 (77) x 15 AFAP RH//10 AFAP LH, all swiped.

Notes: Felt really good. Gonna head out and do some leg and back drills, then maybe heat bath and call it a day! I really like this minimal passive recovery, more active recovery and more thorough warmup plan so far.

Edited by avasatu

2/21/16: Bench/Washer Pinch/Row

5/3/1 Training Maxe: 260 bench

bar x 20

95 lb x 10

135 x 8

165 x 3

195 x 5

220 x 3

245 x 1+

195 x 10

Washer Pinch (no alternating sides):

21 lb x 5

27 x 1

31 x 1 (4 min)

36 x 1 (4 min)

39 x 1 (4 min)

42 x fail

31 x 5 (4 min)

31 x 5 (4 min)

31 x 5 (2 min)

21 x 10s hold way out front (2 min)

21 x 10s hold (2 min)

21 x 10 s hold

Figured out a technique improvement after I took a max that I'm certain would have given me that 42 lb. Oh well, for another time.

180 lb x 10 (no straps)

270 x 10 (straps)

Finished with two sets of 80 step back crawls with a 45 lb plate.

Notes: Felt good tonight. Might stop using compression cuffs on bench.

Edited by avasatu

2/22/16: Wrists

Squats/Opens/Closes for CNS between all sets of first movement. Heat bath 30 min before workout. 

Fat Gripz Standing Alternating DB Curls:

15s x 10

20s x 8

30s x 5

40s x 5

45s x 8

Wasn't expecting to be this strong on these, thus the one-too-many warmups. Could have done 9, but these are really hard and it was my first time.

Behind the Back Standing BB Fat Gripz Wrist Curls (brief pause at top and at full extension):

45 lb x 10

65 x 8

85 x 8

105 x 6

Hard. One too many warmups and a few too many warmup reps.

15 lb x 10

25 lb x 17 R // 12 L

20 x 16 R // 9 L

PR

Left extensor mostly back to normal.

Skipped all deviation/twist work for wrists to give it rest, regardless of whether nor not it needs it. I had so much fun tonight that this will be replacing my non-WW week workout.

Did a bunch of Reverse Hypers.

Notes: Everything felt good. Having a good day. Back feels good after some adhesions loosened in my hamstrings big time today during my stretching routine for legs. Going to sail that boat for as long as I can! 

Edited by avasatu

Workout Bodyweight: 165 lb

2/24/16: Press/Block Pinch

Squats for CNS. Rear delt flies between Press sets. Opens/Closes between pinch sets.

Speed Bench:

Warmed up to 180 x 2 x 6 sets. Didn't want to do shoulders today. They felt slightly not recovered.

37 lb. x 5

48 x 1

58 x 1

64 x 1

70 x 5 (4 min)

70 x 5 (4 min)

70 x 6 both.

PR I think

Reps were NOT done alternating. Gives too much rest to thumbs. 2 minutes rest, then:

50 lb x 5 R // 8 L sec hold (away from body) (2 min)

50 x 6 R // 8 L sec hold (3 min)

50 x 10 sec hold, allowing block to slightly touch body

Going to increase time between timed holds next week, keep same weight.

Neutral Grip Wide Grip Pulldowns (pause at full extension):

Worked up to 195 x 7 (straps) PR

16.5 lb. x 10

16.5 x 10

Notes: Felt good!

Bodyweight during workout: 165 lb

2/26/16: Grippers

All warmups swiped CCS. Between warmups, fast opens/closes and squats for 10-30 reps. Between worksets, I switch to expand bands for 20-30 reps. I also did a short heat bath 30 minutes prior to workout. Wrapped my pinkies and index middle sections in electrical tape.

Guide x 10

Sport x 5

Trainer x 1

Point Five x 1

#1 x 1

#1.5 x 1

HG200 x 1

CCS Work (swiped):

Right Hand: #2 (104) x 1 x 8 sets, then #2 x M (TERRIBLE set and strength gone), then Spectrum (96) x 1         2 minutes between singles.

Left Hand: #2 x SNM, then Spectrum (96) x 1, Spectrum (96) x M (terrible set), HG200 (92) x 1 x 2 sets, Spectrum (96) x NM x 2 sets (bad set...left hand can't get comfortable with these), HG200 (92) x 1 for 3 sec hold x 2 sets         2 minutes between singles

2 minutes rest, then #1.5 (86) x 5 R // 4 L

Notes: Felt really good! Tip of ring finger tore. Man these tears can stop any time now.

Edited by avasatu

2/29/16: Bench/Hub/Row

5/3/1 Training Maxe: 265 bench

bar x 20

95 lb x 10

135 x 8

170 x 5

200 x 5

225 x 4

175 x 10

I made the mistake of benching on the actual bench and not in the power rack. The bench is way too wide, I can't sit my head nearly far enough back, the bar unrack height is way too high, and worst of all (BY FAR), the weights roll backward to such an extreme that you can't have optimal bar path. Thus the 225 x 4 (I had done 225 x 8 at LA fitness, and I haven't gotten weaker for sure). Back to the power rack next time and every time, which, although still harder than benching at LA fitness, is much more comfortable. I will admit, I felt off today too. Kind of in a daze the whole time.

Hub:

32 lb x 5

37 x 1

43 x 1

46 x 5 R // 4 L (4 min)

46 x 5 R // 43 x 5 L (4 min)

46 x 7 R // 43 x 5 L (3 min)

PR

32 x 10 second hold way out front (3 min)

180 lb x 10 (no straps)

275 x 10 (straps)

PR

Finished with Reverse Hyper 75 x 20 x 2 sets, no momentum.

Notes: Felt good tonight. Bench annoyed me, but that's what I get for using the bench/weight plates/bar I knew were bad and for not kicking myself out of the daze I was in.

2/29/16: Wrist(s) Wrench

Squats/Opens/Closes for CNS between all sets of WW. Contrast bath 30 min before workout. 

Wrist Wrench:

Felt like maxing:

32 lb x 5

43 x 1

54 x 1

63 x 5 

77 x 1 Right Hand Only. PR. Barely eeked this out.

Then 6 sets of 61 x 2 with 2 minutes between, both hands.

15 lb x 10

25 lb x 10 L // 17 R

Dropped straight into 15 x 10 both sides

More Reverse Hypers @ 75 lbs strict

With "The Pronator" (Paused at both ends, full ROM):

Standing Table Supported Pronation: 6 lb x 13 L // 15 R   Big PR

Standing Table Supported Supination: 6 lb x 15 both PR

Seated Table Supported Radial Deviation: 6 lb. x 12 L // 15 R  

Standing Ulnar Deviation:  I did a bunch of reps, but I had to stop because the device handle is digging into my thumb web and it hurts quite badly. Not sure how to train ulnar deviation in the future. All the typical exercises do this to me. I may just do more volume, less intensity, as it takes several reps for this to start happening.

Notes: Everything felt good. Glad I deloaded wrists last week.

Workout Bodyweight: 165 lb

3/2/16: Press/Block Pinch

Rear Delt flies between Press sets. Opens/Closes between pinch sets.

Fat Gripz Speed Bench:

Going to be using the "hard" bench setup at my gym. If I can't bench weight on a terrible setup with terrible equipment, then I can't bench it. New Training Max for 5/3/1: 230.

bar x 20

95 x 10

140 x 10 sets of 3 with 1.5 min rest between.

Too max today, for reasons to be described below:

43 lb x 5

48 x 1

58 x 1

63 x 1

69 x 1 (3 min)

72 x 2 R // 1 L (4 min) MAX Right.

75 x 1 L only (4 min)

80 x 1 L (4 min)

84 x Miss L (4 min)

84 x 1 L MAX Left.

Stoked about this. However, the form I have been using for block pinch allows the back of the block and the thumb of my hand to touch my leg once the weight leaves the floor, which of course adds stability and thus weight to my max. So...

Next week I will take a new max, one where the weight is well in front of me so that at no point does any part of the implement or any part of my arm contact any part of my body except the lifting hand, throughout the whole lift. Then, I will run 5/3/1 using Gil's ideas, and with static holds for assistance. I will follow suit on any other loading pin lifts.

I then did:

51 lb x 10 sec R // 6 sec L held way out in front (3 min)

51 x 5 sec both (3 min)

51 x 4 sec R // 6 sec L

A little heavy. I want 3 10 second sets, but I was alright totally burnt out of course.

Finished with 75 lb Reverse Hypers for 2 sets of 20, strict.

16.5 lb. x 10

16.5 x 10

Too burnt to do third set.

Notes: Felt good! Had some people motivating me on for my max on the pinch, which really helped, especially after the miss @ 84.

Edited by avasatu