What Happens To Finger Bones, When You Have Small Hands?

vladimir21

I'm 21 5'11 and i have small hands for a male, when i started with grip training i had trouble closing 100lbs heavy grip with my right hand.

After 2-3 weeks i bruised my right hand knuckle on 200lbs heavy grip attempt and it went back to 100lbs.

I trained maybe 1-3 times a week for few minutes, then i finally was able to close heavy grip 250. Everything done in about 2months.

Now my stepdad and brother have big large thick hands with thick fingers and they both couldn't close heavy grip 200 when my hands are much smaller with thin fingers. My brother works in the construction and he could close hg 150 without a problem and without training but not hg 200.

The reason i started with grip training is to get largers hands/thicker bones but it didn't change anything yet i have more force in hands now.

My question is, what happend exactly to my bones and how can i generate so much more grip force with small thin fingers/hand compared to the hands of my brother/stepdad...

With my left hand i still can't close even hg 150...

You just have more specific strength on grippers, where proper technique can play a big factor. Also thin fingers are ideal for grippers because it enables you to concentrate your power farther down the handle where you have more leverage. Make sense? Larger hands help more with wide pinch and thickbar. Hubs and grippers are suited just fine for small handed guys.

You just have more specific strength on grippers, where proper technique can play a big factor. Also thin fingers are ideal for grippers because it enables you to concentrate your power farther down the handle where you have more leverage. Make sense? Larger hands help more with wide pinch and thickbar. Hubs and grippers are suited just fine for small handed guys.

Yes but still, i'm even amazed that my thin fingers can produce force of 250lbs to close the heavy gripper.I believe i won't get further then 250lbs 1x ever... I'm even amazed that my bones don't break...

But i think if my brother and/stepdad did some couple weeks/months of grip training with heavy grips i think they would surpas me easily since they got larger hands with thicker finger bones?

But you didn't say anything about small finger bones, does something happen to them that they get stronger can produce/withstand more force?

I also think that if i would shake someones hand who has bigger hands with thicker fingers i would still lose?

Edited by vladimir21

I also think that if i would shake someones hand who has bigger hands with thicker fingers i would still lose?

Yep, you would. Ask me how I know.

I have small hands and they have not changed in appearance at all throughout the years, they're still little boy hands. But they are much, much stronger now. To answer your questions, it's all about the tendon strength. There is no hypertrophy there.

I have small hands and they have not changed in appearance at all throughout the years, they're still little boy hands. But they are much, much stronger now. To answer your questions, it's all about the tendon strength. There is no hypertrophy there.

Damn that sucks that we can't do anything to get larger hands/fingers i feel feminine with my small hands and that's my insecurity... I gues there are no real adventages in hand strength if you have small hands...

What training do you do to get stronger small hands, just grippers is it enough?

I think the only adventages of small / thin fingers is that it helps with wall climbing if your fingers/hands are trained well, you can grip small rocks on the wall better . Also based on your bending video your hands are far from small, mine are smaller

Edited by vladimir21

You have leverage on your side.

9 times out of 10, you can't out squeeze science.

• Like 1

Damn that sucks that we can't do anything to get larger hands/fingers i feel feminine with my small hands and that's my insecurity... I gues there are no real adventages in hand strength if you have small hands...

What training do you do to get stronger small hands, just grippers is it enough?

I think the only adventages of small / thin fingers is that it helps with wall climbing if your fingers/hands are trained well, you can grip small rocks on the wall better . Also based on your bending video your hands are far from small, mine are smaller

Of course your hands can get thicker.

Of course you can get super strong without having thick hands with thick fingers/bones.

Would you rather have small and weaker hands or small but stronger hands?

Those are options available. Cant speak for anyone else but i like it more now that i am bit stronger than used to be. As for what kind of training you should do, it really depends of your goals and what are you prepared to do.

Bones are bones. You will never be able to thicken bones naturally without breaking them repeatedly. You will be able to gain "meatier" palms and wrist from strengthening the connective tissue. The key is to keep all the bone density you have already. There are some "supplements" that make your bones grow but that's after years of taking them and is not recommended for health reasons.

From my years of bending I have been able to thicken my thumb pad and wrists. Also I have a bump between my first and second knuckle of my index fingers. I do believe this is calcium build up from using that part of my finger as a fulcrom for bending. I've seen this on my latest X-ray of my hands.

How small are ur hands?