Classic Or Sumo For Axle Do Deadlift?

Mikael Siversson

What is your preference in the DO Axle deadlift?

I tried the sumo style for the first time ever today and was amazed by how much more I could pull with this style (almost 10% more with zero practise). Not so much because of a shorter distance to pull (did not use an extremely wide stance) but because the hand position suited my hand anatomy so much better. With the classic style I get very little wrap with my outer two fingers and the hand starts to open up well below my max. With the sumo style however, it only opened up right at the max.

Would be interesting to learn about other's experience.

I can't think of any reason not to go sumo, provided your DL is above your thickbar strength.

Edit:

At least +10% for me, too. With sumo.

Edited by honk

My DL max is way above my DO axle DL. Quite a few people do use the classic style (eg Andrew Durniat) so it works better for some I would presume.

I prefer to pull conventional on the axle...probably because I normally don't deadlift Sumo anyways, but I do train both styles.

Now I say I prefer conventional, which I do, but if I'm going for a max or for a contest lift I go Sumo because it produces bigger numbers for me.

I only recently tried Sumo because Yori suggested it to me. He made a brilliant case for it in a pm so I gave it a try one morning and lifted something like 15 or 20 more lbs immediately...so while I like pulling conventional more it just doesn't make sense for me to use conventional in a competitive setting.

• Like 1

It's the equivalent of MMS vs CCS, or bending in singles vs doubles. It shortens the range of motion thereby allowing higher weight.

It's the equivalent of MMS vs CCS, or bending in singles vs doubles. It shortens the range of motion thereby allowing higher weight.

I don't think it's quite the same or else everyone would just deadlift sumo. Its actually kind of a trade off, when you pull sumo it's usually pretty slow off the floor.
  • Like 1

I prefer sumo for the axle because it lets my hands come straight down on the bar instead of at a little bit of an angle. I feel this helps me grip the bar better.

• Like 4

I can only do Sumo dead lift due to my back injuries - so I really have no choice.

• Like 1

I can only do Sumo dead lift due to my back injuries - so I really have no choice.

Same here, Chris.
  • Like 1

Same here, Chris.
I tried this today and I must concur.
  • Like 1

Sumo is what my back demands. I pull about the same both ways, though. Mike Burke pulls conventional, for what it's worth.

• 3 weeks later...

Sumo all the way. Started off standard but can easily lift more with Sumo stance. Everyone is different tho. I agree, it does not seem to be a matter of distance for me either, rather it just feels better and I lift more.

I always pull sumo for DO axle. Better hand contact, shorter range of motion are the main drivers for me. With regards to speed off the floor, if one does some speed work, the sumo can get fast too, especially if your max with mixed grip is much higher than your DO. Also, you don't want to accelerate too much either as that can cause the bar to slip out at limit pulls.

• Like 2

Sumo, and only because Jefferson isn't legal. :) For all the reasons many people have said. My back demands. Shorter pull. Torso can be more upright. Better hand position.

• Like 1

I prefer sumo because it puts me in a more upright position. Sadly due to long time back issues my max on regular bar is rarely more than what I can pull on an Axle. I like the part where I can still walk after I finish a max effort lift Sumo vs Conventional.

- Aaron

• Like 2

I prefer conventional over sumo, Sumo tends to hurt my right hip. My numbers are relatively the same either way

What is your preference in the DO Axle deadlift?

I tried the sumo style for the first time ever today and was amazed by how much more I could pull with this style (almost 10% more with zero practise). Not so much because of a shorter distance to pull (did not use an extremely wide stance) but because the hand position suited my hand anatomy so much better. With the classic style I get very little wrap with my outer two fingers and the hand starts to open up well below my max. With the sumo style however, it only opened up right at the max.

Would be interesting to learn about other's experience.

I prefer it and in a grip comp it's the hand and grip which is being tested.

As a test of what??

I really don't see it as a range of motion thing - it just puts me in a position where I can use more legs and spare my injured low back some. Before blowing out this last disk - I was around 10# stronger Sumo than Conventional. If Sumo was really that much easier - we see all the big deadlifts done that way - and we don't - most of the huge pulls are still being done conventional.

• Like 2

I can get maybe 10lbs more with sumo than conventional with the Axle, but conventional is lightyears stronger for regular bar deadlifts than sumo.

For some reason, in sumo position, I can barely get 405 off the ground with a regular bar. Grip doesn't matter. It's really weird.

I use Sumo on th eaxle in grip comps because I can get those extra few pounds, plus, like others mentioned, it feels better for my back.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

All alltime DL records from 148 to 242 raw or equipped were being done sumo.

Not all gripsters are 275 and up, so I think a case for sumo can be made. :)

The way I look at this is that we are supposed to be testing "the grip strength" - not the back and/or body strength. We have another sport that does that.

• Like 3