Heavy Grips

Cannon

It took me years to close it man give it time, maybe try the RRBT training program or something similar. Thanks, was one of the best moments of my life finally closing it!

• Like 1

I can see the attraction for trying out mads, I only have one HG (a 'second' at that) but thought the knurling was a bit too smooth.

• Like 1

I can see the attraction for trying out mads, I only have one HG (a 'second' at that) but thought the knurling was a bit too smooth.

I didn't have anything to compare my Heavy Grips to as far as the knurling goes until I got the Baraban adjustanle gripper. Man! That rougher knurling makes a difference as far as setting the grip, and the palm side handle staying in place. It would be interesting if a gripper company maybe made their beginning grippers with a lighter knurling, and then more aggressive as you go up in difficulty. That would allow a beginner's hands to acclimate in the beginning, but then also would provide the needed knurling for the harder grippers.

• Like 1

It took me years to close it man give it time, maybe try the RRBT training program or something similar. Thanks, was one of the best moments of my life finally closing it!

I am basically just building my grip strength at the fastest(but still safe) rate of which I am capable. I backed off severe negatives, and am approaching grip building in a more systematic way. Incremental gains that add up. Every grip workout, though, I pick up that 300, and squeeze it as hard as I can, just to let it know it isn't off the hook for getting closed one day! It is good to have that beast, opposition always helps progress.

Edited by ZFJango

Just like Cannon said, Heavy Grips are an extremely good choice price wise. Where I live in Europe CoC grippers come to cost 5-6 times more than a HG and other brands aren't available. Also, for a beginner such as myself, the difference in quality might not make much of a difference, what matters for me is receiving a good resistance training.

The ones I received in the past aren't imprecise at all, most of my friends who don't train couldn't close the HG150 when they tried and when I tried to press them shut on a scale, I got the values I was expecting (btw is the scale method somehow valid for testing a gripper rough value?)

For me Heavy Grip is a good brand, the only thing that could make me change idea is the spring breaking possibly due to cheaper materials.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I picked up a 3 pack of the Heavy Grips on Amazon last week for a ridiculously low price (had some store credit). Got the 250, 300, and 350.

The first thing I noticed was that the 250 handles are chromed while the others are not. This is inconsequential of course.

The knurling also varies. On the 300 it is smoother than my Silvis Dinosaur Hunters, while on the 250 and 350 it is noticeably sharper. I actually don't mine the smooth knurl on the 300 at all though.

I think the biggest negative is this:

TGCpOSV.jpg?1

After closing (or in the case of the 350, chest crushing) each gripper, the spring bent noticeably to varying degrees, the 300 being the most severe, and the 350 being the least.

After that initial hit though, the range of motion was smooth and the resistance consistent. The 250 felt in the lower 120 range, the 300 maybe around 140, and the 350 I'd put at 200 plus--it was more difficult to chest crush than my #4.

From a utilitarian standpoint, Heavy Grips are a no brainer. You're not gonna be afraid to beat them up like with Tettings or GHPs, but they'll get you strong just the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting, jmatney.

This is a great opportunity to remind that Heavy Grips have a LIFETIME WARRANTY from the manufacturer.

http://www.heavygrips.com/warranty.html

This warranty should allay any fears of getting a "defective" gripper. I made a warranty claim on one of my personal HGs and the company was very accommodating and generous.